New to Leverguns...Henry vs. Rossi

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
3Horse

New to Leverguns...Henry vs. Rossi

Post by 3Horse »

I'm new to leverguns, except for the Marlin 39A .22cal. I've had since 1995. My wife and I are wanting to move up to centerfire guns and have been looking at, and for, Rossi 92's. Gun stores we frequent mostly have Henry Big Boys. What are your opinions of Henrys, other than they are not as "authentic" as the Rossi. Not to mention being pricier. I like to have money left over to buy ammo :D
We'll mainly use them for fun, plinking, and home/farm defense (Coyotes, armadillos) . Always the possibility we'll do Cowboy action shooting down the road.
I appreciate all input and opinions.
Deleted User 2964

Re: New to Leverguns...Henry vs. Rossi

Post by Deleted User 2964 »

I have owned a 357 for 4 years now, great little rifle. Never had any problems. If you get a good one they are
well worth it, if not...well good luck with Rossi customer service.As for Henry I don't own one yet.I hear they are coming out with some new guns in 2017, shotguns and single shot rifles.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

My main turn-off for Henry is the way they load through the mag tube.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This was a bit of a tough question for me a few years ago when I wanted a new 45-70 Govt levergun. Both Henry & Rossi had announced their new offerings but Rossi was the first to deliver through the Rio Grande by almost a year. Had Rossi not introduced that rifle, I would never have gotten into their complete line of firearms. Hard to say if that was good or bad.

The main dislike I had concerning the Henry's, at the time, was the magazine tube loading. With the experience I now have with both the 454 Casull and 480 Ruger R92s; that would no longer be an issue for me. I'm just a hunter and live in a place where I can be in the field year round, tube loading would have never made a difference. It might for something like cowboy action work.

Henry did not have the Big Boy Steel rifle series at the time, that would have satisfied me just as well as I moved from the Rio Grande's into the 92s.

The one failing of Rossi for me is Customer Service. our contact with them here in the US is just through the importer, at times I have felt they have no "buy in" with the product they represent. The pages on the forum tell how simple or how difficult it can be.
Michael
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

I read thru a number of posts concerning the customer service. I'm kinda disappointed. I wonder what Taurus's attitude is toward service on Rossi's made and sold prior to their acquisition?
Another question, are the Rossi's that were made and sold under the LSI Puma name any better made than those under Braztech or Taurus?
Sorry to have so many questions. Just want to spend money wisely.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The current regime cares ZERO about the older guns. It's fine with me as they seem better made....at least they look better made. I don't foresee any need for customer service.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Henrys have a couple of advantages - US made and from all reports excellent customer service up to and including the owner's personal involvement. And for the most part they are available. Around here (Dayton OH) I can find them in just about all the big stores and even some of the smaller ones.

Rossis not so much any of the above. Field and Stream used to have a few, but if it wasn't for the one store that caters to the cowboy gang there probably would be any you could go and touch. That said I own 2 M92s, a 45 Colt with a the CCH frame and a 20' octagonal barrel and a 20" round barrel 357. The 45 I've had for about 6 years and have had zero problems, the 357 just about 2 months now and a few teething problems but nothing serious.

I want a 41 magnum big boy steel, but reports are they are difficult at best to get shooting with decent accuracy so I'm not sure I'll ever own one if I can ever afford it.

I have little faith the Braztech/Rossi with ever get all their stuff in the sane sack so we're left to muddle through.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Henrys are way overpriced and made with looks first IMO.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

What seems to be one of the most common and sought after leverguns and the importer/manufacturer appears to have such an indifferent attitude. I've heard similar customer service stories relating to Taurus pistols. Hard for me to comprehend in markets with so much competition in guns of all types. Heck, maybe it's because they know most of us will either tinker with and repair them ourselves or send them to a 'smith for tuning.
Wellll, I just committed to an LSI Puma 45LC. Brass frame, 24" octagon barrel. (I guess it's still considered a Rossi?) The rifle is in excellent condition. Very, very little use. Appears some of the grease and crud I've read about may have already been flushed out. I have some dummy cartridges to check it for function and will test fire it before laying any money down.
Tough call, but after handling Henry's and looking at their price tags, I'm still drawn to the Rossi's.
You guys have been great in taking time to respond to my many questions. I'm glad to be part of the forum.
I'll post some pics this week.
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

PIC1.jpg
Here we go. I'll send more pics over this weekend once I get to the range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.