New to Leverguns...Henry vs. Rossi

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
barracudadave67

Re: New to Leverguns...Henry vs. Rossi

Post by barracudadave67 »

I have to go along with Zippy on the Henry Rifles. loading thru the mag tube dosn't do it for me either. It just isn't right. can't get use to it.

barracudadave67
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GRV01 wrote:The solutions s simple here folks: we all ask Henry to start making a 92 :D
Someone already asked and it is not going to happen. I understand it, it takes a huge amount of money to gear up for a new product. Of course, they have just done that with the Long Ranger and Single Shot but neither or combined are they anywhere near all the moving parts of a 92. They also work their proprietary designs, I'm not sure what needs to happen to manufacture a J. Browning design here in the US.
S'fine. Ill take just the side loading gate then :)
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Another note on Henry management.
Fellow was looking for one of the new Rangers and the head guy at Henry directed him to the shop I hang out at.
They were unable to find one for sale at any of the normal distributers.
Back to corresponding with the head man at Henry and the next thing anyone knows a distributer is contacting the shop about delivering the gun.
The customer didn't realize he was corresponding with the President of Henry Repeating Arms until after the fact.
Hands on management!

I'm probably going to wind up getting another of their rimfire guns and maybe will go for a Ranger if the one the guy gets at the shop looks good. If they'd add a loading gate to the traditional lever calibers I'd go for them.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Origonal 1860 Henry's loaded through the lower tube at muzzle..
Spencer loads through the butt....
Funny ..If you read history there were shooters who would have nothing to do with the Winchester 66 "side loader" because you had to rack all the ammo through it to unload it. They stayed with their Henrys and Spencers a long time.
Me I grew up with side loaders and have no issue with a tube. Long before I had a side loader centerfire we ran thousands of caliber .22 rim fires through those tubes. Winchester pumps and semi autos. No one gripped about those.
Mike in Peru
Last edited by Missionary on 02 Mar 2017 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I started with a Win 94 in .30-30 side loader. I ran several hundred through it before I ever got a tube loader.

EVENTUALLY I managed to get a Winchester 9422M.
Then a Henry .22LR Octagonal.
Then a Browning BL22.
A couple Browning BAR 22LRs tube loaded aft.
Picked up a Remington Nylon on a package deal that also is aft loaded.

For some reason I don't mind too much when a rimfire is tube loaded. When it comes to semis I tend to prefer a detachable magazine instead of a tube setup.

Center fire that is removable spring tube loaded on the other hand is a bit of a pain when it comes to topping off or potentially loading in the middle of something. It's just awkward.
I guess I prefer my centerfire to be a cowboy assault weapon and I don't really expect to be attacked by squirrels while I'm juggling the spring tube on the .22. IF I'm down to a .22 rifle for self defense it's a bad year but I'd probably pick up the 10/22 with spare mags before I'd go for the Henry even with the 10 tube speed loader and the fact that the Henry holds half again the ammo for the first load.
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

I purchased a Winchester Canadian yesterday. There's a warm story about the rifle's history and how I came to acquire it. It was used and lovingly cared by the previous owner who purchased it in 1970.
I'll share the story sometime.
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

3Horse wrote:I purchased a Winchester Canadian yesterday. There's a warm story about the rifle's history and how I came to acquire it. It was used and lovingly cared by the previous owner who purchased it in 1970.
I'll share the story sometime.

OOPS. I posted this in wrong forum! I'll move it over.
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

When I go to a lever action in a "pistol length" cartridge it's because I want a light weight and fast handling rifle. I find the Henrys to be a good bit heavier than a 92. I also don't like the octagon barrled 92 for the same reason. Henry doesn't NEED to make a 92, but they DO NEED to make a lighter weight centerfire.
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

Now that I've opened my big mouth, I can't recall if I have handled the BB steel or only the brass ones.

Start asking them for a .454!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

44WCF wrote:Start asking them for a .454!
The Henry action cannot handle the pressure. It's limit is about 20K PSI short.
Michael