Acquired Browning BLR Takedown in 450 Marlin

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Acquired Browning BLR Takedown in 450 Marlin

Post by Quinc »

pricedo wrote:I picked up a new Browning BLR Takedown levergun in 450 Marlin yesterday that was on sale cause nobody wants a new gun in a "sunsetting" caliber.
I've always been impressed by the looks, quality and strength of the BLR.
The BLR lever actuated bolt action with rotary locking lugs is capable of handling 60K+ psi pressures and is host to high pressure calibers like the 7mm Remington Magnum & the 300 Winchester Magnum.
This thing can match or even exceed the strength of the famed Ruger falling block single actions.
I'm in the process of acquiring 20 boxes of ammo so that when the caliber does "go under" I'll have lots of brass.
The 450 Marlin case cannot be made from any other caliber because of the proprietary belt.
Winchester just introduced a model 94 Takedown in 450 Marlin but I can't foresee any long line-ups of people in front of gun shops wanting to dump $1400 on the counter for one of those.
I can't believe I bought the thing..........I need my head examined. :mrgreen:

The .450 caliber is becoming more popular with the AR crowd. I don't think you will have any problems finding components.
http://www.cabelas.com/15-bushmaster-45 ... -kit.shtml
Although it looks like Hornady is the only brass manufacture?
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... uctId/7094
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Quinc wrote:
pricedo wrote:I picked up a new Browning BLR Takedown levergun in 450 Marlin yesterday that was on sale cause nobody wants a new gun in a "sunsetting" caliber.
The BLR lever actuated bolt action with rotary locking lugs is capable of handling 60K+ psi pressures and is host to high pressure calibers like the 7mm Remington Magnum & the 300 Winchester Magnum.
This thing can match or even exceed the strength of the famed Ruger falling block single actions.
I'm in the process of acquiring 20 boxes of ammo so that when the caliber does "go under" I'll have lots of brass.
The 450 Marlin case cannot be made from any other caliber because of the proprietary belt.
Winchester just introduced a model 94 Takedown in 450 Marlin but I can't foresee any long line-ups of people in front of gun shops wanting to dump $1400 on the counter for one of those.

The .450 caliber is becoming more popular with the AR crowd. I don't think you will have any problems finding components.
I think you're referring to the 450 Bushmaster.
The Bushmaster bullet I believe is .452" (pistol 45) in diameter while the Marlin is .458" (rifle 45) in diameter.
My new BLR is chambered in 450 Marlin.
What's the difference between the two?.........the same difference in hitting power (on both target & shoulder) between the proverbial "90 pound weakling" and Mike Tyson.
I'd suggest that the AR crowd not consider chambering an "upper" in 450 Marlin unless they're really fond of Plaster of Paris casts & traction braces.
The full power Marlin round gives the shooter a heck of a wallop from a normal sized scoped hunting rifle..........in a 5 pound AR it would send the shooter into a low Earth orbit.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Dan 444
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Dan 444 »

Oh my...while you're getting your noggin checked-out, ship it to me so that I can make sure that it is safe....only take me a couple of hunting seasons years.

Dan
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

pricedo wrote:
Quinc wrote:

I think you're referring to the 450 Bushmaster.
The Bushmaster bullet I believe is .452" (pistol 45) in diameter while the Marlin is .458" (rifle 45) in diameter.
My new BLR is chambered in 450 Marlin.
What's the difference between the two?.........the same difference in hitting power (on both target & shoulder) between the proverbial "90 pound weakling" and Mike Tyson.
I'd suggest that the AR crowd not consider chambering an "upper" in 450 Marlin unless they're really fond of Plaster of Paris casts & traction braces.
The full power Marlin round gives the shooter a heck of a wallop from a normal sized scoped hunting rifle..........in a 5 pound AR it would send the shooter into a low Earth orbit.
My bad, I assumed it was the same bullet. :oops:
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

We learn stuff by discussing stuff.
Every visit to "Rossi Rifleman" results in everybody coming away more knowledgeable because we don't argue, insult and abuse like kids in a sandbox ..........we discuss like mature adults.
Men & women talkin here...........not a bunch of immature kids.
We've all bin to the immature kiddy sites...........I for one don't miss them.
I leave this forum with a smile on my face and more facts in my head rather than a headache.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

Is your BLR a blue/walnut gun?

Does the Hornady LVR ammo in .450 use short brass like it does in 45-70?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Warhawk wrote:Is your BLR a blue/walnut gun?

Does the Hornady LVR ammo in .450 use short brass like it does in 45-70?
Blue & walnut..........I can't stand those plastic & SS leverguns.
I'll be posting a photo shortly.
Bolts in SS & plastic are OK ........but synthetic leverguns no.
My 1895GS has walnut furniture and it is very pretty.

The Hornady LeveRevolution ammo uses the short brass to function in leverguns. Since the BLR is my only 450 Marlin it doesn't matter.

450 ammo is hard enough to get........the brass is nigh near impossible to find anywhere.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

That should be a great combo for you. I have a BLR pre 81 in 308 and a BLR 2nd gen 81 in 358. Both will do what I ask them to.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

MT Gianni wrote:That should be a great combo for you. I have a BLR pre 81 in 308 and a BLR 2nd gen 81 in 358. Both will do what I ask them to.
I've got 40 boxes of 450 Marlin ammo stockpiled..............that's 800 brass & I understand the Hornady brass is thick based & thick walled and robust and can withstand several re-loadings.
I'm going to hand load some of the 400 grain Barnes "Buster" bullets to near max ("Busters" don't do their thing at anemic velocities) once I get a few fired cases ahead.
No 336/RG 35K psi ceiling to worry about with the BLRs lever/bolt action...........we're talking 65K psi !............I have no intention of hot-rodding to max but 50K sounds reasonable.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and other component could likely fail before the actions limit of 65K+ is reached.
If you pull the trigger and half your face disappears in the smoke & shrapnel it's academic whether the action or the case failed..........as I said before I didn't come with any spare parts. :mrgreen:
I'm curious & ambitions but NOT stupid or reckless. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

pricedo wrote:
MT Gianni wrote:That should be a great combo for you. I have a BLR pre 81 in 308 and a BLR 2nd gen 81 in 358. Both will do what I ask them to.
I've got 40 boxes of 450 Marlin ammo stockpiled..............that's 800 brass & I understand the Hornady brass is thick based & thick walled and robust and can withstand several re-loadings.
I'm going to hand load some of the 400 grain Barnes "Buster" bullets to near max ("Busters" don't do their thing at anemic velocities) once I get a few fired cases ahead.
No 336/RG 35K psi ceiling to worry about with the BLRs lever/bolt action...........we're talking 65K psi !............I have no intention of hot-rodding to max but 50K sounds reasonable.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and other component could likely fail before the actions limit of 65K+ is reached.
If you pull the trigger and half your face disappears in the smoke & shrapnel it's academic whether the action or the case failed..........as I said before I didn't come with any spare parts. :mrgreen:
I'm curious & ambitions but NOT stupid or reckless. :mrgreen:
Well said! 8-)