Acquired Browning BLR Takedown in 450 Marlin

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Acquired Browning BLR Takedown in 450 Marlin

Post by pricedo »

I picked up a new Browning BLR Takedown levergun in 450 Marlin yesterday that was on sale cause nobody wants a new gun in a "sunsetting" caliber.
I've always been impressed by the looks, quality and strength of the BLR.
The BLR lever actuated bolt action with rotary locking lugs is capable of handling 60K+ psi pressures and is host to high pressure calibers like the 7mm Remington Magnum & the 300 Winchester Magnum.
This thing can match or even exceed the strength of the famed Ruger falling block single actions.
I'm in the process of acquiring 20 boxes of ammo so that when the caliber does "go under" I'll have lots of brass.
The 450 Marlin case cannot be made from any other caliber because of the proprietary belt.
Winchester just introduced a model 94 Takedown in 450 Marlin but I can't foresee any long line-ups of people in front of gun shops wanting to dump $1400 on the counter for one of those.
I can't believe I bought the thing..........I need my head examined. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Acquired Browning BLR Takedown in 450 Marlin

Post by akuser47 »

Not my caliber but nice rifle I like browning BLRs so glad you have it who knows it may become a even more rare bird and be worth more in the end.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:Not my caliber but nice rifle I like browning BLRs so glad you have it who knows it may become a even more rare bird and be worth more in the end.
I already had a BLR T/D in 308 Win.
Too bad Browning didn't make one in 45-70 GVT.
It'd be nice to push some of the souped-up Ruger #1/3 loads out of a levergun.
I like the idea of being able to take it apart and throw it in a pack sack.
That new 325 Short Mag would have been preferable but I wouldn't have got it for $200 under MSRP if it had been one of those.
They got sick of looking at it and I do a lot of business with them so they gave me a deal.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good find for sure now like you said scroung up ammo for the brass to be stocked to shot it and enjoy it for a long time to come.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Too bad Browning didn't make one in 45-70 GVT.
The BLR in 450 Marlin caught my attention and I can understand why Browning would choose it over the 45-70 Govt. Even in the Marlin 1895, the feel of cycling a belted cartridge vs. the heavy rimmed 45-70 is easy to feel. I see this as a rifle that can tackle the meanest critters North America and this chambering will never experience any feed hick ups.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: The Little Orphan BLR 450 Marlin

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:Too bad Browning didn't make one in 45-70 GVT.
The BLR in 450 Marlin caught my attention and I can understand why Browning would choose it over the 45-70 Govt. Even in the Marlin 1895, the feel of cycling a belted cartridge vs. the heavy rimmed 45-70 is easy to feel. I see this as a rifle that can tackle the meanest critters North America and this chambering will never experience any feed hick ups.
All of which is academic if there is no ammo on shop shelves to put in the gun.
I'm not as convinced as some that the new Winchester 94 chambering in 450 Marlin is going to keep the caliber afloat.
The 94/450 must be made of solid gold considering the MSRP and after that 20" ported barrel bellows from a full power load the shooters ear drums will be about 1/2" apart inside his head.
Marlin made the same mistake of porting their first run of Guide Guns...................or perhaps they were in cahoots with the hearing aid manufacturers. :lol:
I have put feelers out for 30 boxes of ammo & will likely "score" 20 of them.
I am enamored by the obvious quality and feel of my "Little Orphan BLR 450 Marlin that nobody wanted" and with some innovative hand loading will turn it into the "Little Orphan BLR 450 Marlin that could".
It ain't a 458 Lott and I'm not going to try and make it one but there is a lott :mrgreen: of potential here.
Unfortunately with a levergun there isn't the advantage of being able to hand load over-SAAMI length cartridges as there is with the Ruger #1/#3 single shot rifles.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Got about 10 boxes each of the Hornady 325 grain FTX and 350 grain FP ammo in from 2 suppliers.
That's pretty authoritative looking ammo and it looks like it will feed really nice in the butter smooth action of the BLR.
I have a set of RCBS dies but this excellent looking factory ammo will do me for quite a while
I can't see any North American critter on hoofs or paws not falling down dead when hit in the right place with one of the Hornady 350 grain FPs moving @ 2100 fps and carrying over 3400 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.
If the BLR in 450 Marlin isn't a back woods moose or elk gun I don't know what is and if a big black predatory bear dropped in for an uninvited snack at the kill site one shot from the 450 would send him packing to the big blueberry patch in the sky.
The gun itself is 1/2 pound lighter than a Guide Gun......a statistic that my gun shoulder likes already. :mrgreen:

Going to pop another Leupold 2-7x33mm Rifleman scope on her using Burris QD rings this time..........I really like Burris mounts and rings......top quality.
I went QD for the usual reasons........I don't want to lose the option of the excellent iron sights of the BLR in the event of scope defect or damage and for thick brush recovery of wounded dangerous game.
Last edited by pricedo on 07 Nov 2012 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sure would like to see a picture of in taken apart, bet it is slick!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Sure would like to see a picture of in taken apart, bet it is slick!
I'm behind in my picture posting.
I haven't posted a picture of the Baikal double rifle in 45-70 (am having "fun" :twisted: regulating those 2 barrels) or the new BLR yet.
Will do shortly.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:Good find for sure now like you said scroung up ammo for the brass to be stocked to shot it and enjoy it for a long time to come.
The Hornady factory ammo is excellent.
The die hard hand loaders who snub factory ammo will turn up their noses & say they can do better with their swagged car battery bullets .
I have been reloading for years and I admit that I CAN'T.
20 boxes x @20 = 400 rounds of ammo and more coming...........I'll be perched in the big tree stand in the clouds before they're used up.
My definition of good ammo is ammo that kills the game fast and humanely........I can't see anything that moves in the bush that doesn't have "Range Rover" on the side not falling to this Hornady ammo.
The 325 grain "gummy bear" stuff for deer and the 350 grain FP stuff for elk & moose.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA