Something to get excited about, a new levergun

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Something to get excited about, a new levergun

Post by Steelbanger »

The "Long Ranger"
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

I like the idea but haven't warmed up to Henry Rifles . . . yet! I believe that the list price listed is enough to guarantee low sales.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Something to get excited about, a new levergun

Post by klr »

Those look interesting. I'd rather have a 22" barrel, however, and I agree about the price.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

308!! I'll take one! I've been looking for a nice 308 lately and have been drooling over the BLRs. I think that I would rather have a Henry though.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dvw86 wrote:308!! I'll take one! I've been looking for a nice 308 lately and have been drooling over the BLRs. I think that I would rather have a Henry though.
There you go! I was going to say that I thought that it would appeal to me more than a BLR would. I got to give it to Henry, they are taking the bull by the horns and offering a lot of variety!
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I've been lusting after a .243, myself. Interesting offering, indeed.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Steelbanger wrote:I like the idea but haven't warmed up to Henry Rifles
Me neither
Steelbanger wrote:I believe that the list price listed is enough to guarantee low sales.
Agreed
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Wrote Henry the other day about continued production of the caliber 41 mag steel frame and as always the President Anthony Imperato responded. He said they would continue production as long as there was a demand.
So suggested they think about Steel Big Boys in the Supermag calibers. He replied he had not considered those calibers and would look into the feasibility. He wrote stating "there are in the works some new ideas". So here we see a far better lever rifle action in modern calibers.
But I have to agree an offering of a longer barrel would be my desire with the 308 and 243. Maybe another letter to the president... The price is still below the suggested retail on a Browning Lever Action. Maybe a 338-308 will be offered !
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

I think the price is fair. You get what you pay for. That is the MSRP, so take $100-$200 off of that for a street price. As Mike mentioned, it is in the right ball park for a 308 lever gun. Actually, it's in the right ball park for any top quality lever gun. I probably have about $700 into my Rossi 92 not counting the optics and hours of my time. (extra costs include Steve video, wood stain & finish, spring kits, metal mag tube follower, NOE rail, recoil pad, tools purchased to work on it, etc...) The only reason that I went with Rossi was that I knew that there was enough aftermarket parts and on-line info to fix the known issues of the 92. At the time Henry only offered the really heavy models and I wanted something lighter. I had just gotten rid of a factory new Marlin 30-30 that was horrid and I was not going back to Marlin. So paying $800 for a nice, light, made in the USA rifle that I don't have to re-work sounds like a good deal to me. Just my $0.02.

I'm looking forward to reading some reviews on the new Henry.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

My Rossi needed no money spent on it and a couple hours of unnecessary work to make it better than any brand IMO. I'm just not an expensive gun guy and expensive is relative.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I own a BLR .308 takedown and it is nice.
Came with a scope rail. Scout mounts can be had.
Big downside on the Browning IMO is the cost of a replacement/spare mag.
It's not like it is much of an asset to have a spare loaded mag but it is a royal pain in the rear if the mag gets lost or misplaced and it's your only one.

As for the Henry, I want to see one and how the action works.
I don't like the looks of the side of receiver mag release without any guard to prevent it from getting bumped during transit or whatever. It works for a bolt release on an auto shotgun but I'm not sure it works for a mag release. The recessed Browning release at the front of the mag works. If you are going to put it on the side of the receiver it should probably be reachable from a firing grip and possibly guarded by a raised receiver feature a-la AR.

The MSRP is a bit pricey but actual shop prices might be a bit better.
I may want to get one or three eventually.