I was going to get a Rossi but.....

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Redneckninja

I was going to get a Rossi but.....

Post by Redneckninja »

Hey all, I'm mainly a lurker here as I have almost no knowledge to add about lever guns that you guys don't already know, but I love soaking up all the knowledge you guys do have. Anyway I was going to get a Rossi 92 20" blue finish 44 mag and use it for deer this year. However while I was at the local gun shop there was a brand new Marlin 1894 20" blue finish in 44 mag on the shelf already, but they would have to order the Rossi and I didn't feel like waiting. So I came home with a remlin instead of a Rossi. I tore it down and deburred everything and took it to work and buffed the internal contact points. I'm now just waiting on a skinner express sight then a one piece firing pin and lighter springs. Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon but as for now it just looks like another plain Jane remlin. Also thinking of thinning the foregrip to look and feel like a Winchester. I don't like how it's so wide I feel like I'm holding a pump action shotgun....

Long story short, I'm just letting you guys know that I got me a nice lever rifle :lol: almost ready to figure out what she likes to eat the make some noise +guns

Keith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I was going to get a Rossi but.....

Post by Ranch Dog »

It will be interesting to hear your shooting reports to see how that Remlin performs. You pointed out the big difference between the R92 and 1894, the latter is a bit beefier. I have a 1894P, the 44 Mag Outfitter with the 16¼ ported barrel. I have it setup with the XS Scout/Ghost Ring stuff. It is a bit of a "tank" but a great rifle.

Good luck and looking forward to the forthcoming reports.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
There is nothing really wrong about the Remlins... you get a good one and all is well. From the little I read about them some of the "gremlins in the remlins" have been worked out.
But once who have hunted with a 92 you get spoiled. I have all 45 Colts and they are as light as you could desire. If-en Rossi ever gets off the bench and makes a caliber 41 Mag I will sell my Marlin as fast as I can get it boxed.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thought I would show you my 1894P, kind of a short little rifle with a big punch.

I use my 300-grain TLC432-300-RF bullet with this rifle and I think it would take just about anything in North America at a reasonable range. It does hold of a bit of a record for me, it killed five hogs in about 10, 11 seconds. Of those five it killed three with one shot.

I had a deer feeder that hogs were terrorizing late in the deer season. The feeder was about 125 yards from a tower blind that sat at the intersection of three seismic lines. On the line that went out to the feeder, I placed a heavy line of shelled corn about 70 yards from the blind. When the hogs came into the feeder, about a dozen and a half of them, the larger hogs saw the line of corn and headed for it. They lined up just like I had hoped, three big hogs perfectly set and I shot the first one through the heart/lung and that 300-grain bullet went through the chest cavities of the next two. All three dropped on the seismic line. The rest of the hogs hit the brush. As a large hog came out on the next seismic line I dropped it at 90 yards with a chest hit. They were all moving fast now and a very large hog came out on the third line, running away from me. That hog was really moving out but moving straight away. I settled the crosshairs between her ears, floated along with her, and touched it off. That big bullet hit her on tail and came out the chest. Rolled her right up!
Michael
Redneckninja

Post by Redneckninja »

Thanks for the pics Ranch Dog!!! So you shoot 300 grainers out of yours? does yours have the ballard rifleing or micro groove? Mine is the ballard and I had heard the ballard rifleing doesn't like bullets much heavier than 240 gr... I put 25 rounds down range freehand just to get a feel for the rifle so accuracy wasn't the key here, but the gun was a touch low at 50 yds even with the rear sight as high up as I could put it. I guess the front sight is a tad too high but that may work out for the better since I want to get a hold of a Skinner Express sight.

I also was very pleased with the quick handling of this gun and recoil wasnt anything to bat an eye at. I was shooting some 240 gr Federals. My grandfather in law is a reloader so I bought the cheapest ammo they had at walmart (which was still rather expensive) more or less to just have the brass. Yes I could have just gone to the local gun shop and picked up some brass for cheap but I was itching to make some noise :lol: She ran very smooth with actual brass instead of snap caps. I was kind of disappointed when it cycled kind of rough with the snap caps but I was smiling ear to ear when I cycled her the first time with live brass in her :D Now to find a .44 mag revolver to go along with it.... I'm partial to revolver/lever gun combos in the same caliber...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The "P" is ballard rifled with a 1:38 twist. Of the two Marlin riflings; Ballard or Micro-Groove, the Ballard is supposed to be the better with cast bullets. I have about 15 Marlins of each, shoot cast bullets in them all and can't tell the difference. I do push my bullets hard at max pressures and velocities and they are as accurate as jacketed bullets.

Funny to me that Rossi guys complain about the 1:30 twist of the 92. I don't have problems with it and the 300-grain bullet in it either but it is down to the same basics if you push it hard enough, it will spin it enough to stabilize.
Michael
Redneckninja

Post by Redneckninja »

Thanks for that rid bit of information!!! I'll keep that in mind. That's why I love this forum so much. You guys are great!!!
btoran

Post by btoran »

Ranch Dog wrote: It does hold of a bit of a record for me, it killed five hogs in about 10, 11 seconds. Of those five it killed three with one shot.
don't think i can load up on bacon that quick in a supermarket.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

btoran wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote: It does hold of a bit of a record for me, it killed five hogs in about 10, 11 seconds. Of those five it killed three with one shot.
don't think i can load up on bacon that quick in a supermarket.
Even if you could it would be tough to make it sizzle like that "P" did!
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I make a good wage and can hardly afford bacon...unless I use a $0.19 loaded round of .357 and had an adult present to show me how to get the bacon.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.