I was going to get a Rossi but.....

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: I was going to get a Rossi but.....

Post by Archer »

Snap caps don't typically mimic real ammunition exactly.
A-Zoom are some of the best but they tend to be both a bit short AND a tad smaller in diameter than live ammo especially in the 'bullet' section of the 'round'.

I've scragged at least one set of A-Zoom snap caps in a Ruger GP100 where it essentially pulled the rims off from the firing pin impact. I've scragged a couple sets of the old Pachmyer plastic ones with the spring loaded brass 'primers' in 9mm with a Browning High Power and CZ-75 and in .44 Mag with a 629 and Colt Kodiak.

Both my .44 Rossi 92s fed snap caps slick as snot running the lever the way I'm used to.
The .357/.38 ran .357 snap caps fine. With .38 snap caps some of them over rotated through the feed guides. When I ran live ammo through it both .357 and .38s gave me zero issues.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

That's why I load my own dummies. Leave the spent primer, cross drill the casing, omit the powder, seat the bullet, and dip the whole thing in red layout fluid. I keep them in a different room than live ammo. Much more representative for action cycling and reloading drills.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've done that with .30-06 for Garand training dummies a long long time ago.
Typically now I'd replace the primer with RTV though the primer hole and then trim it flush after it is set.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

It's a little more work but I've been drilling and tapping 1/4x20 then thread a nylon bolt in and cut it off flush. If the firing pins ever wear one out it is easy to replace.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:It's a little more work but I've been drilling and tapping 1/4x20 then thread a nylon bolt in and cut it off flush. If the firing pins ever wear one out it is easy to replace.

Make smoke,
NICE

I'm on my fowng so thumbs up are virtual.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I will add one thing I should have mentioned. Cartridge head brass is somewhat resistant to tapping :o so I generally use a drill the next size larger than a normal 1/4x20 tap drill. I'm not by the bench right now and don't have "Machinery's" with so cant look it up. I figure it isn't life and death but you just want the nylon to stay where you put it.

Making them is tough just tedious. When I was having trouble with feeding in my my M24 '98 clone I made up 5 of them in about 2 hours and figured out the problem. It helped to have a full stripper full.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
coyotebc

Post by coyotebc »

I hate reading this forum
Makes me want to buy more guns

Historically we haven't had a feral hog problem here in BC but it looks like we are in the early stages now

I hope we get it liked before it gets out of hand
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Yes, I've heard they're starting to migrate through SE BC. What's the gov't policy for eradication? We have none in Washington (yet), but BC is the likely pathway.