Leaving on a long trip tomorrow

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Leaving on a long trip tomorrow

Post by Steelbanger »

Not me but rather my Glenfield 30. It's going to Oregon for a transformation to change it into a 38-55. I had it ready yesterday but the local Post Office isn't open on Saturdays anymore.

The reason for this change is that I am looking for a weight reduction as my rifles all seem to be getting heavier. This Glenfield should come in under 7 pounds and that seems about right on for me. Of course the optics will increase that by about a half pound. Now for the waiting and load development to begin. I've been thinking that I would like to use the 230 gr. RD gas checked bullet. I really like those big flat point bullets. They seem to deliver all their energy and put the game down.
Last edited by Steelbanger on 03 Apr 2016 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Leaving on a long trip tomorrow

Post by Ranch Dog »

All the way across the country! I wish it has a quick return! What did you decide on the groove count?
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Michael,

I decided to go with the standard 3 groove barrel. Time will tell whether I made the correct decision or not,

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:Michael,

I decided to go with the standard 3 groove barrel. Time will tell whether I made the correct decision or not,

Frank
I think you made a good decision. Looking forward to the reports!
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Good morning Michael,

I forgot to mention that another influence on my rifling decision was my first build-it-yourself deer rifle. My mentor, Kent, was an avid rifleman and I was lucky to be taken in under his wing. I had three young children at that time and money was really scarce, especially pocket money. So Kent stops at my house one day and says jump in, we're going for a ride. Off we go to some lost gun shop. Kent was a friend to all the gun store owners in the area and happened to know that the one we visited had a M95 Mauser in pretty good shape and he only wanted $20.00, which of course wasn't Kent's price which was $5 less. So, I spent the weeks grocery money on an old battle rifle. I hope Carol is asleep when I take the rifle into the house. Kent explained to me that the 7x57 wasn't very popular and mine would soon be a 308 Win. Kent gave me a brand new, packed in cosmoline 2 groove Springfield barrel and explained to me how to remove the parkerized finish and fine rings around the barrel by draw filing. So my career as a back yard gunsmith began. I killed two bucks with that old Mauser but eventually I began to fear it and rather than risk any injury I traded it for a 30-06.

Back to the Mauser. With that two groove barrel it shot very well. Kent was correct and he often laughed when he said that it was he that started me down that long, expensive trip preparing to be a rifleman.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great memory & story!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I hope it turns out super.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Good morning fellow enthusiasts,

After a brief wait of 17 days total my rebored 30-30/38-55 was delivered mid week. A quick inspection of the bore showed a very fine job in a very fine time was performed. Since Jesse is known to produce tight bores I couldn't use any of the 38-55 loads on hand since they are all loaded with .379 bullets and I will be needing something in the .376, .377 size to function through this latest 38-55.

Finally a day arrived that had warmer temps and lighter winds so I proceeded to the range to give it a try. I've been a bolt action man for many years and bore sighting was never a problem but these leverguns, although possible to bore sight, are a pain in the neck. It took me about 15 shots to finally find the paper and then I could shoot for record. I had loaded this ammo the day before trying it and loaded a variety of cast bullets including the 250 Lee bevel base, 230 gr. RDFN, 250 RDFNGC & the same bullet with no provision for a gas check, plain base., and the Rapine 265 gr. FNGC. Below are the groups I saved which hold some promise but still need development. Since I have all summer I am not concerned with finding a good load. I also have to get some type of sizer die to take these bullets down to a smaller diameter.
Initial rebore groups.JPG
photo 2.JPG
Here's a pic of the caliber stamping. All numerals in the same horizontal plain, a tribute to Jesse's workmanship.
photo 2.JPG
[attachment=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steelbanger on 05 Apr 2016 04:00, edited 4 times in total.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

So has the ring failed? Oh, I see the detail is the barrel stamp!

Did you get my email on how to make the 250-grain bullets feed?
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Hi Michael,

Yes I did and thank you for that, but thankfully there is no problem with any of my bullets feeding through the magazine. All the test loads will run through the magazine and slip into the chamber for all except a few thousands just before the bolt raises into its locked position. The cases get a burnished ring all around about 1/16" below the mouth. Chambering gets a bit tight at this point but if I had to I could use it to hunt the way it is. I don't know whether to get the NOE sizing system or bite the bullet and get another Lyman. I did notice that they are over $20.00 these days. The NOE would probably only be used for this specific use and costs more than the Lyman by about $20.00 if I recall correctly. So, first I will be trying some R-P 30-30 cases that I formed when I had a H & R single shot in 38-55. These were made to get around a similar problem with the H & R.

I have to keep reminding myself that these are the fun times so I will keep that in mind as I proceed.

I just checked the temp and its 35º right now and I bet the range is empty because of the high wind and temp.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA