Winchester 94 in .444 Marlin

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Winchester 94 in .444 Marlin

Post by Archer »

Just for chuckles went looking for listings on these, found two.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =489538555
Winchester 94 Big Bore Timber Carbine chambered in 444 marlin. It has a 17.5" barrel
Listed as NIB NO RESERVE started at 1798.00 + $30.00 S&H and no bids (no big surprise IMO.)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =490170547
Winchester Black Shadow 444
"This lever action rifle in great condition is equipped with a scope. It is un-fired. Unable to list it as the Marlin 444, but that is it. No box."
Reserve not met Started at 975.00 Buy it now listed as $2000.00

Maybe it is just me but who mounts a scope on a gun and then never fires it? (Yeah I've got one but you can't tell it is unfired and I'd have a hell of a time proving it, especially as the gun was probably fired at the factory and the action has been cycled a couple dozen times.
And who lists a gun with a mounted scope as 'a scope' if it is any kind of scope at all? No comments regarding brand, power, objective size, length, functionality, clarity, reticle type, eye relief, tube size, adjustment increment, type of mounts?
Pictures are remedial. I can see fingerprint smudges on the receiver but can't tell if they are in oil or if they are in the metal.

In any event, IMO both sellers are probably smoking something that's still illegal in most states.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Winchester 94 in .444 Marlin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Funny that I saw both of these rifles as well. I think the prices of both the Marlin and Winchester 444s are absolutely ridiculous. Especially in light of the fact that if you don't already have 444 Marlin brass, you might not get it. Rather than either one of these I would buy the Pedersoli 444 offering if I really wanted the rifle.

My same thoughts on a scope. Just take it off the rifle and sell it separately.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Winchester 94 in .444 Marlin

Post by Archer »

I'm not really in the market and at those stupid prices I won't likely ever be.

I'd be more likely to pick up another .45-70 or three.
With the right gun I figure it should do just about anything the .444 would do and I can easily get ammo and components.

I've spent more money on the .444 ammo than I did on the gun and I've only got about 1/2 to 1/4 of what I'd like to have on hand for it.

WRT scopes: Last guy who came into the shop I hang out at with a rifle to sell that my bud behind the counter knew I might buy seemed a bit insulted when I made him an offer and pointed out it had a scope mounted on it. I explained to him that as far as I was concerned the Simmons on the rifle added nothing to the price and the gun was worth exactly the same amount to me with or without the scope. He asked if I could take off the scope and still give him the offered amount and I did. Good thing for me as although the guy claimed the gun had been sighted in with the scope the mount screws were all loose as could be and would likely have sheared off during the first magazine of ammo to go out of the gun.