Winchester 1895 Carbine Project almost done

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
dalek

Re: Winchester 1895 Carbine Project almost done

Post by dalek »

Resurrecting the thread, congratulations in your restoration adventures. Did you finally find the buttplate?

I am trying to restore one -- actually 2 but who cares -- and found out some parts are a bit hard to find like the rear barrel band, bolts in 30-06/7.62x54R, and magazine parts. I am trying to get a Hiroku-Made 30-06 magazine to work in the older 30-06 and am having some fun with getting the rounds to feed.
HogRider666

Post by HogRider666 »

Fantastic looking rifle in a classic and very useable calibre.
Excellent photography too!
Hopefully will get a report of how it shoots--and more pics (hint)
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Good luck with your projects, Dalek. You will be rewarded with a historic and fun shooting experience. I joked, after I started parts hunting a few years back, that parts were 100 bucks, 100 bucks, 10O bucks. I opted for a reproduction crescent buttplate. It is slightly narrower than my finished butt stock, so nay need to blend in the wood an do some refinish. Had to set the project aside for a few months, again.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

That is a pretty gun. I have a full sized one that I've hunted with since I was a kid. It dates to 1899 and I have to say it looks its age......but it still shoots like a new one. +corn
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

I missed this the first time around I guess. Congratulations on a great restoration job. That is a fine looking old Winchester!
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

THX rman. I think they are one of John Browning's more interesting designs. I should be done with a house renovation next month, and hope to get back on the small remaining detail of this 1895. I have some loaded rounds now as well, just waiting to be tried out at the range. My enthusiasm remains high for this carbine.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Howdy
We sure do await the good news. These rifles are unique and fun to haul about. You will not regret the work you have done. Those first rounds down the barrel will be entertaining to say the least. Shooting and owning these fine old rifles is a blessing.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.