it IS a lever action

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
outsidebear

it IS a lever action

Post by outsidebear »

Not the typical lever action we think of when we say 'lever action', but it does have a lever, and the lever does activate the action = lever action!

This is a Providence Tool Company Peabody military carbine, 1 of 350 shipped to South Carolina in 1877. I obtained this carbine from a gunsmiths estate. Originally chambered to .50-60 rimfire, he had converted the rimfire firing pin to central fire. While refurbishing this carbine he opened up the chamber to use the .50 1 3/4" cartridge - more commonly known as .50-70 Gov't. I use a 420 gr LBT WFN cast bullet over 5744 powder for around 1250 fps. All works and functions well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: it IS a lever action

Post by mr surveyor »

that's downright cool! And, hopefully another source of information for me :D

I have an 1871 Springfield (actually manufactured in the Remington plant) 50-70 Gov Rolling Block that possibly was sporterized in the late 30's by professionally chopping 6+ inches off the barrel and stock and adding "REX" sights. The bore is all but perfect, but the shell extractor is missing. About 15 years ago I tracked down a shell extractor through one of the old time major parts suppliers ( cant' for the life of me remember ... not Midway or Brownell's) that was supposed to fit all the Remington made rolling block rifles from that time period and bought one. Took it to a local "so called gun smith" that didn't have a clue what to do. Heck, at this point in time I don't care if I use a dowell rod to knock the brass out, but the extractor would be nice if I ever turn it into a real shooter.

I have found a couple of sources for small quantities of 50-70 gov brass, but I sure ain't gonna buy 250 piece minimum from Starline to find out if it's a "shooter".

My Dad bought this rifle out of state back in the mid 60's for the "history", and always wanted to shoot it. Before he died from lung cancer in 2003 I had a goal to find ammo and take him to the range to put at least one round through it. Didn't happen :cry: . If I could find a gunsmith that could inspect/repair this piece of history, and repair the rear sights (aftermarket) to work, I would buy dies, brass and bullets just to put a few rounds down the tube occasionally.

Just realized it's after midnight my time .... my Dad's birthday was June 2 .....

Maybe next year

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I once had a chance to buy a 50-70 Winchester 1886 rifle in great condition.
It came with one box of 18 rounds and 2 pieces of brass.
Kinda wish I'd bit but I passed.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love it. Great pic as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Beautiful rifle!
Michael
outsidebear

Post by outsidebear »

The Peabody is not well known, like the Windychester, Remington, Sharps, Spencer, Maynard and others from that era in the 1800's. It was used by the Dominion of Canada, Connecticut and New York State Militia's; South Carolina, and sold to several European governments for arming their troops.

In the US Military arms test for new rifles for the Civil War, it was the only action they weren't able to blow up! Five charges of powder and 5 bullets rammed down into the barrel, and the action didn't burst/rupture, as had all the other rifles submitted for testing. Then of all things, the Shrival War ended and there not the need by the Army for new rifles - so they converted Springfield muscle loaders into Trapdoor configuration. No market in the US then, so Providence Tool Company went to the European market for sales.

The Peabody is the basis for the Martini Henry of British and Zulu wars fame.
A Peabody Sporting Rifle is considered among the rarest of US single shot sporting rifles from the last half of the 1800's.

The one shown here is an original, made around 1874 and chambered to .45-50 Peabody. It shoots a 300 gr .45 caliber cast bullet to around 1300 fps. Brass for the .45-50 Peabody is obtained from Dave and his crew at Buffalo Arms - really nice folks to deal with, by the way.

More info: http://www.militaryrifles.com/Peabody&M/Peab&Mart.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by outsidebear on 03 Jun 2014 09:06, edited 2 times in total.
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Hi outsidebear
nice pictures :) and write up.
KH
No one ever regrets buying quality
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Another great thread and it is a rare thing to see talked about.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Nice old Peabody. These Rhode Island made levers were well made and have nicely rifled barrels. The design was in dirrect competion with the Trapdoors and actually are a better system. but royalties would have had to be paid to the Peobody company and Springfield Armory was Army run so their designs were always considered superior.
My Peabody is a 45-70 made for one of the militias (maybe NJ) and now resides in the Vermilion County War Museum, Danville, ILL. Fine shooting with case full of 2F and a 405 40-1 lead cast bullet.
Should we consider the Hall rifles as leveractions ? They do have a lever that when pulled back and shoved up open the breach for loading of a cartridge containing a caliber .54 projectile.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Neat old rifles. Thanks for sharing. I'm wondering how that side hammer works. Does the firing pin sit in a channel that runs in an angle from hammer to the center of the bore?