Bought a potential science project today

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bought a potential science project today

Post by Ranch Dog »

So, what kind of critter are you planning to shoot that "Clydesdale" at? Any interesting hunts in store for it?
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:So, what kind of critter are you planning to shoot that "Clydesdale" at? Any interesting hunts in store for it?
An Alaskan, Canadian, New Hampshire or Maine moose hunt comes to mind.
Have pending moose tag apps in to Maine, New Hampshire and Ontario, Canada.
Failing the above a return of the dinosaurs or the appearance a wild boar/hippo crossbreed would result in a deployment of the "Clydesdale".
Maybe I'll trade it to you for the Rossi .480 Ruger.;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Maybe I'll trade it to you for the Rossi .480 Ruger.;)
I think I would pass on that trade as offered as the little Rossi's are beating me enough! I suspect you would not want the 480 as it is off in NE getting the scout scope base put on it.

Last year was the first year in a long time that I didn't make my annual donation to the Maine non-resident moose tag draw. I don't want to know how much I sent to that State! After thousands of dollars, they beat me down.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:Maybe I'll trade it to you for the Rossi .480 Ruger.;)
I think I would pass on that trade as offered as the little Rossi's are beating me enough! I suspect you would not want the 480 as it is off in NE getting the scout scope base put on it.

Last year was the first year in a long time that I didn't make my annual donation to the Maine non-resident moose tag draw. I don't want to know how much I sent to that State! After thousands of dollars, they beat me down.
My Rossis have all "settled in" now and all they do is look, cycle and shoot very nice.
If my eyes preclude me from shooting the 92s as nature intended (no safeties and no scopes) I'll get rid of them and say goodbye to an era in my life.
Judging by this summers groupings that time hasn't arrived yet.
If I'm going to carry a scoped gun I have guns that do that job a lot better.
For the effort of lugging eight ounces of steel tubing and glass I want at least another 200 yards in effective range.
Not going to get that with a 92 clone shooting a handgun cartridge.

The aggregate moose draw application fees you sent to Maine probably would have financed a Canadian or Alaskan moose hunt.
I've seen moose galore while hunting deer in Aroostook County in the Ashland Maine area.
This area is supposed to have the highest moose population density in the world.
In 2007 a young cow moose (no calf) was making a heck of a racket in the foliage feeding away on some shrubs about 10 feet from the base of my tree stand.
I had to break a branch off the tree and throw it at her before she finally ambled away so I could hear myself think in the stand.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:If my eyes preclude me from shooting the 92s as nature intended (no safeties and no scopes) I'll get rid of them and say goodbye to an era in my life.
Not my eyes, the 480 Ruger did great on the range other than the need to find different sights with an appropriate height. The sight picture while hunting the South Texas landscape is the issue, the critters just don't stand out in the final hours of daylight. I've been hunting within the brush country of Texas since my age only had one digit and I've only seen one hunter with a open sighted rifle and he didn't fair to well.

For the 480 Ruger to be an effective hunter here in South Texas it has to be able to hunt in some very low light conditions. Typically, we do not see any big game until the sun is at or below the horizon. I want this rifle for hogs and that means shooting them at night.
Michael