Bought a potential science project today

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Bought a potential science project today

Post by pricedo »

I bought an ostensibly NIB ;) blue finish Remlin Guide Gun in .45-70 today sight unseen that was on sale really cheap today as a possible winter science project. I'll wager that guide gun has been returned half a dozen times by disgruntled owners.
I'll bet the salesman that processed the order chuckled and said to himself, "This guy is no MENSA candidate". First gun I bought where I thoroughly expect to lift an abortion out of the box when it arrives. It'll give me something to work on this winter when the doldrums set in.
If it's really, really bad I'll return it but if it's fixable I'll fix it up & learn something in the process.
pricedo will be going to gunsmith school this winter. ;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Bought a potential science project today

Post by akuser47 »

Well give us an up to date as to condition received and function test that you do step by step. I love workin on these types of projects keep us all informed in detail if it is not to much to ask. I am earger to see how it goes.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:Well give us an up to date as to condition received and function test that you do step by step. I love workin on these types of projects keep us all informed in detail if it is not to much to ask. I am earger to see how it goes.
Will do.
Could even get lucky and it will be the "1 in 1000"(a reversal of the old Winchester standard) decent quality Remlin that slips through from time to time. :D
It will be an intense moment when I open that box. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Anything made by man is salvagable. It is when apes do the assembly you can really slip on a loose banana. I am a sucker for projects also but the things you learn working out the mechanics. Always makes me appreciate the origonal design, but not so much how some time clock punchers can foul it up.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm looking forward to following your project. I recently looked at a REP rifle for a customer and was really disappointed in the quality. It seemed as though the rifle was assembled without human contact other than for buggering screw heads. The bluing was light and the wood weak. Seeing the rifle, I understood why the 308 and 338 Marlin Express have been dropped as well as the 444 and 450 Marlins. These rifles must be built to a close tolerance for the pressure that they push in the 336 action and I don't think that REP can build that tight of a rifle. With the 45-70 Govt REP can fall behind the protective cloak of SAAMI limits and say you shouldn't have pushed it. Guys have been pushing their 1895s to 40K - 48K for a long time, myself included, but I'm not sure I would do that with a REP.

REP has sure helped JM sales. My 338MX just sold for a few bucks shy of $1K! I paid $550 for the rifle two years ago. All told in the last two weeks I've sold a dozen JM Marlins and they have all sold for at least 150% of what they should have sold for. Some of it is election year panic but price of Marlin lever guns have not historically been influenced much in these years. The JM vs. REP barrel stamp is big right now.
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Jeeze, I'm gonna have to send you my back stock to sell. What is your commission???? LOL, just jokin. DP
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm looking forward to following your project. I recently looked at a REP rifle for a customer and was really disappointed in the quality. It seemed as though the rifle was assembled without human contact other than for buggering screw heads. The bluing was light and the wood weak. Seeing the rifle, I understood why the 308 and 338 Marlin Express have been dropped as well as the 444 and 450 Marlins. These rifles must be built to a close tolerance for the pressure that they push in the 336 action and I don't think that REP can build that tight of a rifle. With the 45-70 Govt REP can fall behind the protective cloak of SAAMI limits and say you shouldn't have pushed it. Guys have been pushing their 1895s to 40K - 48K for a long time, myself included, but I'm not sure I would do that with a REP.

REP has sure helped JM sales. My 338MX just sold for a few bucks shy of $1K! I paid $550 for the rifle two years ago. All told in the last two weeks I've sold a dozen JM Marlins and they have all sold for at least 150% of what they should have sold for. Some of it is election year panic but price of Marlin lever guns have not historically been influenced much in these years. The JM vs. REP barrel stamp is big right now.
Looks like I'm going to have to lump the Remlins into the same "kit" category as the Rossis.
No sight unseen buying without inspecting & testing first.
The Remlin "kit" paradigm will also mean having to do your Remlin stuff (polishing, honing, stoning, smoothing) before using the gun in the field.
Goodness knows I'm used to that from owning upwards of a dozen Rossis over the years. ;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I like the tweakin on these rossis have yet to do an action job on any other lever yet but love tinkering. Good hobby for me my dad wants me to do one for him now. Funny how he started by showin me and now I have surpassed him. I love talkin gunsmithin with the old man as I do here as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Jeeze, I'm gonna have to send you my back stock to sell. What is your commission???? LOL, just jokin. DP
They were simply listed on gunbroker. I turn them over to my dealer and he handles everything from that point for 10% of the sale; pictures, posting, fees, packaging, and shipping.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to lump the Remlins into the same "kit" category as the Rossis.
No sight unseen buying without inspecting & testing first.
The Remlin "kit" paradigm will also mean having to do your Remlin stuff (polishing, honing, stoning, smoothing) before using the gun in the field.
Goodness knows I'm used to that from owning upwards of a dozen Rossis over the years. ;)
Well, wait and see. May be it was one of the rifles assembled with a majority of the CT parts stock.
Michael