NIB Pedersoli Deluxe grade 1871 in .45-70 GVT.

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

NIB Pedersoli Deluxe grade 1871 in .45-70 GVT.

Post by pricedo »

Money is tight in my area as it is in many other areas I'm sure and "high ticket" items are not moving like they would in more economically positive times.
Just bought a brand new in the box Pedersoli Deluxe grade Model 71 (match grade barrel, case hardened receiver and fancy wood) in .45-70 GVT for $1198.
These things were retailing for $1400 - $1600 last time I checked in the basic grade & mine is a Deluxe grade model.
I don't think you'll find a NIB Pedersoli 71 for that price anywhere so I grabbed it.
Already got all the reloading paraphernalia for .45-70 so no cost duplication there.
From all the reading I've been doing my understanding is I can skip the preliminaries and go to the T/C - Ruger #1 loading data because of the tremendous strength of the JMB 1886/71/92 action.
I might even get some of the "suped-up" Buffalo Bore or Hornady LeveRevolution FTX factory ammo & leave it at that as I've been hearing & reading some very favorable reports on that ammunition.
I don't think I'll have to strip the Pedersoli apart to scrub the cosmoline and rust off the parts & expend elbow grease to file, grind, polish off the rough machining .......NOT THIS TIME ! & I might have missed it in my excitement but I didn't see a yellow plastic magazine follower in the gun. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: NIB Pedersoli Deluxe grade 1871 in .45-70 GVT.

Post by Barry in IN »

OK, I'm not up on Pedersolis. What's an 1871?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

nice find now we need pics of that pretty girl
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:nice find now we need pics of that pretty girl
Within the week...........I promise !
I've got to get my digital camera up & running.
If I use my cellphone I might as well take a picture of the garden rake or the corn broom in the back shed cause it doesn't do justice to high quality gun furniture, case hardening etc.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You just had to do it... didn't you! I could not have passed one up in person, that is for sure!

Here is what they look like...

Since we last communicated about these rifles and my desire for the 444 Marlin version, I ended up sending my 444T off to have refinished better than new and to a higher grade. It is enroute home as I write this and I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

Good luck with the new rifle, well done!
Michael
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

I've never shopped for nor coveted a Pedesoli of any kind. Had I read of an 1871 model without illustration I would not
have known what to expect. Since the pic. appears to be a copy of a Winchester/Browning Model 71, it would seem that Pedisoli misnamed
this beauty. It sure is gorgeous.
Pepe Ray P.S. Perhaps this is there way of drawing your attention to the change in chambering.
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:You just had to do it... didn't you! I could not have passed one up in person, that is for sure!

Here is what they look like...

Since we last communicated about these rifles and my desire for the 444 Marlin version, I ended up sending my 444T off to have refinished better than new and to a higher grade. It is enroute home as I write this and I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

Good luck with the new rifle, well done!
RD....in my heart of hearts I knew I was going to cave when I first laid eyes on one a few months ago......it was just a matter of time and running into one with the right price tag on it. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

OK, now I see. It's similar to an 1886 Lightweight or Extra Light.
I like those, and think the 71s and later 1886s are the best looking and best handling of the breed. The big long ones add weight, which helps with recoil I suppose, but the oh so romantic curved buttplate more than counteracts that for me by providing two pointy things to jab my shoulder. Thats OK on a pistol caliber 92, but i dint really care for it on a .45-70 or my .348. I'd rather have the shorter, lighter, ones with a flat buttplate.

Since it's a mix of the 1886 and 71 (I guess) I wonder which it is closer to. The main mechanical differences are the 71 having a coil mainspring (but the later 1886s did too) and a slightly different locking lug angle.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Pepe Ray wrote:I've never shopped for nor coveted a Pedesoli of any kind. Had I read of an 1871 model without illustration I would not
have known what to expect. Since the pic. appears to be a copy of a Winchester/Browning Model 71, it would seem that Pedisoli misnamed
this beauty. It sure is gorgeous.
Pepe Ray P.S. Perhaps this is there way of drawing your attention to the change in chambering.
The original Winchester 71s were manufactured as late as 1957 and the design had several improvements over the 1886 design. They were chambered exclusively in .348 Winchester.
Pedersoli really does these guns justice. I wish they would make one in the original .348 Winchester. For us hand loaders this would not be a problem.
I don't think the "real deal" 71s were near as pretty as the Pedersoli clone in the picture kindly posted by RD and with modern steels combined with JMBs superstrong 92 action this gun is capable of handling .45-70 load recipes from the "T/C - Ruger #1 ONLY" section of the reloading manuals........even the factory LeveRevolution (325 grain FTX @ 2200 fps) ammo is kicking out 3500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy and some "Ruger #1 ONLY" level hand loads top even this !!
And for us 1886/71/92 purists.........no rebounding hammer, bolt or tang safeties.
Oh, did I ever mention before that I don't like lawyer safeties on legacy guns? :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Barry in IN wrote:OK, now I see. It's similar to an 1886 Lightweight or Extra Light.
I like those, and think the 71s and later 1886s are the best looking and best handling of the breed. The big long ones add weight, which helps with recoil I suppose, but the oh so romantic curved buttplate more than counteracts that for me by providing two pointy things to jab my shoulder. Thats OK on a pistol caliber 92, but i dint really care for it on a .45-70 or my .348. I'd rather have the shorter, lighter, ones with a flat buttplate.

Since it's a mix of the 1886 and 71 (I guess) I wonder which it is closer to. The main mechanical differences are the 71 having a coil mainspring (but the later 1886s did too) and a slightly different locking lug angle.
The later original Winnys were made of stronger steels as recognized by several reloading manuals............I unfortunately forget the cutoff YR.
The repros (Italian & Japanese imports) are made of the strongest steels of all.
The Japanese (Miroku) guns are all safetied up the Ying Yang with ridiculous lawyers safety crap (tang safety, rebounding hammer) & the Italian imports aren't.
The best known American custom 86/71s made by the Turnbull company are $ BIG BUCKS $.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA