Henry 45-70

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Henry 45-70

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I would try one out given a bit better price on the rifle. That probably will not happen in light of the current tend on gun sales. The loading gate is not an issue with me. I prefer loading my 454 Casull and 480 Ruger through the tube. The only thing I see against it for me is the weight, I like my RG in this respect.

Still glad to see them being made!
And the Rossi 16" Trapper in 454C at 4.8 pounds is the "creme de la creme" of brush guns......light as a feather, fast swinging with the power to take any north American game animal.
That Henry action is supposed to be the slickest cycling lever action made.
If the H010s dropped to < $700 I might buy one.
In this "Obama ban paranoid" market with everything with a trigger and a barrel disappearing off shelves like magic I can't see that happening anytime soon.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
AhnkoChee
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by AhnkoChee »

I do wish the H010 came at least optionally with a longer 22" to 24" barrel and a straight grip butt stock. 18.5" not enough barrel to get full potential out of the 45/70 and I don't need a "guide gun".
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Henry 45-70......still remains an untested question mark

Post by pricedo »

AhnkoChee wrote:I do wish the H010 came at least optionally with a longer 22" to 24" barrel and a straight grip butt stock. 18.5" not enough barrel to get full potential out of the 45/70 and I don't need a "guide gun".
How does the H010 shoot?
Are they as slick as they are reputed to be?
Apparently a member or 2 has bought a H010.
Range report?
Unless somebody puts the gun to their shoulder at the range or in the field & documents the results the Henry H010 still remains a mystery cloaked in rumors & anecdotal hearsay. +corn +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

wandered through the local Scheel's all sports yesterday and they had 2 of the Henry 45/70s on the rack. i believe the price was $699. sadly all lever guns there are ziptied so you can't work the action. the front sight and barrel band are a single integral part that seems to be made of plastic, and was loose on the gun that i picked up. for $700 i was not that impressed. i'd much rather have R92 in .454.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44WCF wrote:wandered through the local Scheel's all sports yesterday and they had 2 of the Henry 45/70s on the rack. i believe the price was $699. sadly all lever guns there are ziptied so you can't work the action. the front sight and barrel band are a single integral part that seems to be made of plastic, and was loose on the gun that i picked up. for $700 i was not that impressed. i'd much rather have R92 in .454.
They can keep their guns with the zipties cause if I can't work the action before I buy I'm NOT buying.
My Rossi 92 in 357 Mag has an one piece front sight/barrel band assembly (made of steel) and it works quite well or at least it's not a problem.
But a plastic barrel band & sight on a $700 gun ! ......definitely not interested. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Hearing that the barrel bands and front sights on their 45/70 flagship are PLASTIC sure surprises me. Several years ago their cheapest 22 levergun came with plastic barrel band and there was such a stink raised that they came out with all metal on the new ones and anyone who wanted the metal replacement need only write the company CEO and one was sent out for free, often with a Henry coffee mug too..Just looking at the furnature they are putting on these Henrys it flabbergasts me that they would want to save a couple dollars this way. I sorta thought that they would have learned a lesson on their 22lr's.. People who will cheerfully pay thru the nose for a plastic semi auto handgun will NOT have any of it with leverguns! :mrgreen:

Here is the sort of wood Henry puts on their sub $700 45/70. I have a 22 Henry with wood almost as nice, and mine doesn't have any plastic either other than the follower.. .
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/henry ... nry-6.html
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:Hearing that the barrel bands and front sights on their 45/70 flagship are PLASTIC sure surprises me. Several years ago their cheapest 22 levergun came with plastic barrel band and there was such a stink raised that they came out with all metal on the new ones and anyone who wanted the metal replacement need only write the company CEO and one was sent out for free, often with a Henry coffee mug too..Just looking at the furnature they are putting on these Henrys it flabbergasts me that they would want to save a couple dollars this way. I sorta thought that they would have learned a lesson on their 22lr's.. People who will cheerfully pay thru the nose for a plastic semi auto handgun will NOT have any of it with leverguns! :mrgreen:

Here is the sort of wood Henry puts on their sub $700 45/70. I have a 22 Henry with wood almost as nice, and mine doesn't have any plastic either other than the follower.. .
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/henry ... nry-6.html
The URL target rifle is very pretty.
I have never seen a Henry rifle with plastic parts personally (I just repeated anecdotal hearsay) and I quite frankly find that inconsistent with their SOP.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
The URL target rifle is very pretty.
I have never seen a Henry rifle with plastic parts personally (I just repeated anecdotal hearsay) and I quite frankly find that inconsistent with their SOP.
Yeah, them plastic parts is an assault on my inner cowboy! +guns

I was reading that same MO url and someone claimed they wrote to the owner and Henry is planning on putting out a blued steel version of their pistol caliber lever rifles. If they lose the brass receiver and went with a tapered round barrel the 8 lb 15.5 oz that they are now should drop to well under 7. The owner says they will be out in 2014/2015, so figuring their world orbits the sun a bit slower over at Henry, I give it 2016 at the earliest.. If I am still vertical then maybe a .357.. hmmm :roll:
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
44WCF

Post by 44WCF »

pricedo wrote:
44WCF wrote:wandered through the local Scheel's all sports yesterday and they had 2 of the Henry 45/70s on the rack. i believe the price was $699. sadly all lever guns there are ziptied so you can't work the action. the front sight and barrel band are a single integral part that seems to be made of plastic, and was loose on the gun that i picked up. for $700 i was not that impressed. i'd much rather have R92 in .454.
They can keep their guns with the zipties cause if I can't work the action before I buy I'm NOT buying.
My Rossi 92 in 357 Mag has an one piece front sight/barrel band assembly (made of steel) and it works quite well or at least it's not a problem.
But a plastic barrel band & sight on a $700 gun ! ......definitely not interested. :mrgreen:
just to be clear, i wasn't complaining that the sight and band are one piece, as my current m92 has the same arrangment and it is working very well with no issues. but i was dissapointed to see it was plastic, and downright disscussed that it was loose.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

44WCF wrote:
pricedo wrote:
just to be clear, i wasn't complaining that the sight and band are one piece, as my current m92 has the same arrangment and it is working very well with no issues. but i was dissapointed to see it was plastic, and downright disscussed that it was loose.
Yah, that's not too confidence inspiring in Henry products for sure.
The only plastic in my Rossi 92s and Rio Grande were the magazine followers & I replaced them with stainless steel followers.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA