Henry 45-70

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Henry 45-70

Post by pricedo »

I liked the looks of the brass/brassite receiver 22s & pistol cartridge Henry levergun versions that have very attractive walnut furniture but after hefting the almost 9 pounds of one in a local shop lost interest immediately.......we're talking instant hernia here ! :shock:

What is so special abut the Henry H010 45-70 that it is in such high demand :?:
It must be a fantastic shooter because it is by no means a beautiful firearm.

Has anyone on the board ever shot or owned a Henry H010 :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I didn't think to look on Gunbroker but durn if there isn't one listed there!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =319726981

For the price, you could have both an RG and an R92 but I guess some would see it different.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I'll take option B .......the RG & the 92 thank you very much. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
AhnkoChee
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by AhnkoChee »

Ranch Dog wrote:I didn't think to look on Gunbroker but durn if there isn't one listed there!

For the price, you could have both an RG and an R92 but I guess some would see it different.
ARGH Someone actually paid $810 to be the first on the block to own one, that's nuckin' futz. :o
Not a bad looking gun in real life though. I'm in the small minority who does not mind loading the magazine tube from the muzzle end.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

AhnkoChee wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I didn't think to look on Gunbroker but durn if there isn't one listed there!

ARGH Someone actually paid $810 to be the first on the block to own one, that's nuckin' futz. :o
Not a bad looking gun in real life though. I'm in the small minority who does not mind loading the magazine tube from the muzzle end.
They are supposed to be smooth as churned butter and well fitted NIB (that would put the H010 ahead of Rossi in the QC department)..........from the photo it appears that is true........the well fitted part at least.
Certainly can't complain about the X/S sighting system installed from the factory...........wonder if the sights are Krazy Glued on???? :lol: :D
The brass model I hefted in the shop was heavy but the action was very smooth.
The H010 pictured is a decent looking gun.....the Henry promotional photo didn't do it any justice.....their advertising director might be a double agent for Marlin. :mrgreen:
It'd be great to know how they SHOOT. +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

So did the guy get the T-Shirt and coffee mug for the $810?
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Well I guess they are not a myth. That is the first one I have actually seen other than that butt ugly photoshopped picture they used in their catalog. That's a nice looking gun and probably once they start churning them out the selling price will drop well below MSLP. Now if they will listen to their customers wishes and redesign it for a load gate it might be a great USA made alternative to the Remlin. From what I have heard this rifle is almost an 1895 (or perhaps 336) clone and so it would seem a load gate wouldn't be out of the question without undergoing a complete redesign.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:Well I guess they are not a myth. That is the first one I have actually seen other than that butt ugly photoshopped picture they used in their catalog. That's a nice looking gun and probably once they start churning them out the selling price will drop well below MSLP. Now if they will listen to their customers wishes and redesign it for a load gate it might be a great USA made alternative to the Remlin. From what I have heard this rifle is almost an 1895 (or perhaps 336) clone and so it would seem a load gate wouldn't be out of the question without undergoing a complete redesign.
Don't think the loading gate is as big a deal as people think.
You've got 5 shots with the H010 and outside of Jurassic Park any flesh & blood critter I can think of is going to bite the dust with 5 heavily loaded 45-70 rounds fired into him.
If you can't drop a bear at <50 yards with a 5-shot 45-70 carbine the problem is not the lack of a loading gate but what's standing behind the butt plate & shots 6 & 7 would likely be flying as wild as the previous 5........if you survive hire an armed guide or stay outta bear country til you learn to shoot.
It doesn't matter much anyway cause unless the price drops a coupla hundred bucks I'm not gonna even think about buying one.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Don't think the loading gate is as big a deal as people think.
You've got 5 shots with the H010 and outside of Jurassic Park any flesh & blood critter I can think of is going to bite the dust with 5 heavily loaded 45-70 rounds fired into him.
If you can't drop a bear at <50 yards with a 5-shot 45-70 carbine the problem is not the lack of a loading gate but what's standing behind the butt plate & shots 6 & 7 would likely be flying as wild as the previous 5........if you survive hire an armed guide or stay outta bear country til you learn to shoot.
It doesn't matter much anyway cause unless the price drops a coupla hundred bucks I'm not gonna even think about buying one.
I don't think the load gate would be a deal stopper for me either. Frankly I wish it was set up to load both ways, but I was sort of speaking about what I have read other peoples opinions are of the load gate not being there. It seems it is a very negative thing in most peoples minds. Should more of these Henrys get into circulation, and I start reading good reports of accuracy, smoothness and craftsmanship, and then if the street price dropped maybe 150 or so I would buy one. I sure like my Henry 22. My 1895 45-70 works fine however and is my most accurate gun so am not really needing a replacement for it.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would try one out given a bit better price on the rifle. That probably will not happen in light of the current tend on gun sales. The loading gate is not an issue with me. I prefer loading my 454 Casull and 480 Ruger through the tube. The only thing I see against it for me is the weight, I like my RG in this respect.

Still glad to see them being made!
Michael