Chaparral 1876 Help?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Ninety Caliber

Chaparral 1876 Help?

Post by Ninety Caliber »

Found three Chararral 76's on gun broker. A 40-60 or 45-75 for $680"buy it now" or a 45-60 with dies for $1050. Am just beginning reloading and have wanted one FOREVER. Help me decide PLEASE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
N.C.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Chaparral 1876 Help?

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I have NO experience with them. Sooooo I did a quick search and found they are not exempt from problems. Anything from major to minor and fit and finish issues. One guy had me laughing when he said his could not hit the side of a barn when shooting his from the inside the barn.

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and see where you land. If this is something you have always wanted I say go for it. Flip a coin and pick one.
I did my research with Rossi and had a good idea what I was getting into. Looking back I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have now added voluntary employment as a final assemblyman and quality control inspector at Rossi firearms to my resume…. :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

45-60 is the easiest to make up the brass. You can use 45-70 brass. Not sure on the 40-60 but the 45-75 and 50-95 require some expensive brass. I also want one of those but reports are mixed on them.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Have had a Chapa in 50-95 for long enogh to know I like it. The early ones under serial # 1000 were prone to problems.
Got mine at the $670 price so probably the same place in Arizona. They are good people to deal with. Rifle is well made, looks nice and shoots well with properly fitted cast bullets. I have used 3F and 5744 in it . The 3F loads shoot the best. Only dislike I have with the rifle is the rear ladder sight. My rear site was loose in the groove. The sight also was not well assembled. I changed it for a full buckhorn sight and I am much happier. I also added a tang sight for shooting out to 200 yards.
I shoot a 45-60 origonal. Fun caliber. Plus cast bullets are readily available. As mentioned brass is easy to make from 45-70. I personally would go with the 45-60 also as a first rifle of this type.
Ammo for the 45-75 is alot. Brass is costly if you can find it. Dies are not everywhere and will be costly. Of course the lead bullets are the same size so easy to get.
Those are my observations. I have no regrets getting the basic rifle. 50-95 is a fun caliber to me.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.