Puma Rifles

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Ninety Caliber

Puma Rifles

Post by Ninety Caliber »

Who makes these now? Is Legacy Sports International a manufacturer or an importer?

Sent from my iPad using Tappatalk
N.C.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Puma Rifles

Post by pricedo »

Ninety Caliber wrote:Who makes these now? Is Legacy Sports International a manufacturer or an importer?

The registered trade name moniker PUMA has been transferred to 92 clones made by Chiappa from Italy (Armi Sport) and imported by LSI.
They are excellent quality rifles with real walnut and no tang or bolt mounted safety made according to the gospel of John Moses Browning.
They are significantly more expensive than their Rossi/Braztech counterparts.
I own one in 44 Mag and the only thing that needed adjusting was the sights........after a light barrel swab with a pull through cleaner I was shooting within minutes of opening the box.
The action was slick NIB, the w/m fit & bluing were impeccable.
If you don't like working with tools and all the attendant fat thumbs, cut and scraped fingers and frustration the new LSI PUMA 92s are the guns for you.
I'd prefer to keep the $400 price difference in my wallet and get the tool box out.
Even if my Rossi Regimen of strip/clean & polish/lube took 4 hours per gun (a liberal estimate) that's $100 per hour........higher wages probably than most of our members are making at their day jobs. :mrgreen:
Last edited by pricedo on 11 May 2013 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ninety Caliber

Post by Ninety Caliber »

pricedo wrote:
Ninety Caliber wrote:Who makes these now? Is Legacy Sports International a manufacturer or an importer?

The registered trade name moniker PUMA has been transferred to 92 clones made by Chiappa from Italy (Armi Sport) and imported by LSI.
They are excellent quality rifles with real walnut and no tang or bolt mounted safety made according to the gospel of John Moses Browning.
They are significantly more expensive than their Rossi/Braztech counterparts.
I own one in 44 Mag and the only thing that needed adjusting was the sights........I was shooting within minutes of opening the box.
The action was slick NIB, the w/m fit & bluing were impeccable.
If you don't like working with tools and all the attendant fat thumbs, cut and scraped fingers and frustration the new LSI PUMA 92s are the guns for you.
I'd prefer to keep the $400 price difference in my wallet and get the tool box out.
Even if my Rossi Regimen of strip/clean & polish/lube session took 4 hours (a liberal estimate) that's $100 per hour........higher wages probably than most of our members are making at their day jobs. :mrgreen:
Pricedo,

Already a happy Rossi(Braztech) '92 owner! Was wanting an 1886 copy and understand they are making one ? Have any experience with those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
N.C.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Sorry.......I just own a LSI/Chiappa 92 PUMA in 44 Mag.
I know Chiappa makes 1886 and 1886 short clones but I don't own one.
I do own an Italian Winchester clone, a Pedersoli 1886/71 which is a Winchester 71 clone except it is chambered in 45-70 GVT rather than 348 Winchester.
The Pedersoli 1886/71 is a superb quality rifle with impeccable workmanship, w/m fit, bluing and is highly accurate but not many want to drop close to $2000 on the counter for one even if they could find one which is not easy. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ninety Caliber

Post by Ninety Caliber »

I know what you mean. The Puma '86 clone is like $1300 and no "lawyer" safeties from what I understand. I have been on a year long search for an 1886. Actually the Rio I'm wanting as a big bore " stop-gap" until I can find one lol!
N.C.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ninety Caliber wrote:I know what you mean. The Puma '86 clone is like $1300 and no "lawyer" safeties from what I understand. I have been on a year long search for an 1886. Actually the Rio I'm wanting as a big bore " stop-gap" until I can find one lol!
The 1886 whether it be an original Winchester, a Pedersoli, a Chiappa clone or a lawyer doctored to death Miroku 2nd generation Winchester 1886 is not a light gun.......add half a dozen or so 45-70 cartridges to the shoulder load it is downright heavy.
My bet is that once you get a Rio Grande in 45-70 and tune it up to where it's running slick you'll probably keep it and forget about the 1886.
The RGs are a fantastically slick & accurate rifle cleaned up and tuned up and your shoulder & back will thank you for opting for the 3 pound lighter package.
I'm not suggesting that you don't know your own mind but I'm certain that you'll be impressed by the Rio Grande.
If it's rough out of the box strip it apart and clean/polish it up........the rifle that results will make the effort well worth your while.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good afternoon
If you come across an older Interarms Puma that has not been abused grab it. They were built to Interarms standard and I have yet to see one that was not right.. unless again it was abused. Have seen a couple of those. My Interarms 45 Colt is one nice carbine.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Missionary wrote:Good afternoon
If you come across an older Interarms Puma that has not been abused grab it. They were built to Interarms standard and I have yet to see one that was not right.. unless again it was abused. Have seen a couple of those. My Interarms 45 Colt is one nice carbine.
Mike in Peru
Interarms and Navy Arms contracted lots of "new & improved" Rossi 92 rifles with real walnut, superior workmanship and better fit & finish than the run of the mill Amadeos and Braztechs.
They were also considerably more expensive than the generic Rossi 92s of the day.
Too bad Rossi doesn't run a line of deluxe or premier grade versions of their rifles complete with due diligence & quality control, real walnut stocks, and some hand fitting & finishing for those who are willing to pay the difference in order to go directly from buying to shooting and eliminate the fixing stage. :D
Analogous to the difference between a paint by number kit and the more expensive finished picture.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA