Trigger fix for Browning BLR Takedown in .308 Win??

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Trigger fix for Browning BLR Takedown in .308 Win??

Post by pricedo »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Pricedo, ya get them triggers done yet? Just wondering how they turned out. Been so long since I shot either of my BLR's I can't remember if they were too bad or not, the 7mm08 has dropped a few deer for me so is usable, anyway. DP
Next time I'm in PA for any length of time I'll drop my BLRs (308 Win & 450 Marlin) off at Neil Jones shop & get the triggers done correctly the first time.
For now they are tolerable.
I always wondered why Browning who seemed so pluperfect on other details of fine gun building kinda overlooked one of the main contributors to accuracy/inaccuracy........the TRIGGER.
Seemed like their desire to address a non-existent problem (finger pinching between finger lever & trigger) led to design compromises that resulted in a "middlin to crappy" trigger......in contrast the triggers on Browning bolt actions are great.
A friend of mine who can (according to him) fix anything & whose guns all shoot 1/2 MOA (we have all met one of those at one time or the other ;) ) kinda shied off on the BLR triggers........."it's bin a while since I fixed one, maybe you should take it to a smith". +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
hunterdan

Post by hunterdan »

My dad just picked up a BLR in 308 a few weeks ago. Beautiful gun, smooth and fun to shoot. He wanted the 7mm-08, but found the 308 in stock at a local shop and walked out with it. We both recently took a trip to a range on a cold windy day (range was 2 hours away, so we came to shoot, and we shot anyway). We both had also recently purchased new scopes, mine was to replace an ancient Leupold, and his was to compliment his new BLR. We took turns shooting, so as not to get the barrels too hot. Usually a string of 3 shots, but no more than 5 within 5 minutes. My Ruger 77 was shooting about 1" groups, but his BLR we had some trouble with. Just couldn't get it to group consistently. Finally I asked him to let me try. I set it up and started to control my breathing and squeezing the trigger. I kept squeezing, applying more and more pressure. There was no creep, rather it was just insanely heavy. Finally the trigger broke at what felt like 10 pounds. We managed to get the gun on paper, but it wasn't putting together decent groups. We were rather disappointed. I thought it would shoot as good or better than my 77. We figured it was the heavy trigger giving us grief. But he cleaned it the next day and found the rear scope mount was loose. But I had sent out a few emails to some smiths looking for someone to install a sling stud for him, and also inquired about a trigger job. One guy quoted me $55 to do a trigger job and said it wasn't anything special. But after reading this thread, I'm a bit skeptical and will suggest the other guy mentioned. But the rifle is a work of art, it's just a shame the trigger isn't in the same ballpark as the rest of the rifle.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The whole BLR trigger ball of wax started rolling when Browning decided to remedy a problem that didn't even exist (fingers getting jammed between lever and trigger) if proper levering techniques were used.
That unitized trigger/lever assembly is an abomination of small parts jammed into an even smaller inaccessible space and a SOB to work on..........only a few gunsmiths have a handle on it and most won't even touch it.
The lame excuses will start flowing before you even get your BLR fully out of the case at most gunsmith shops......."If it's about the trigger, I don't touch those !" :twisted:
Triggers and trigger pull are a very litigious area and I guess they are afraid of getting sued if they botch the job resulting in a misfire.
My BLR triggers are really not that bad for hunting triggers but if I find myself in PA I'll drop in at Jones shop & get them done.
Both guns will do 1 MOA @ 100 yards or less with the right ammo from a padded benchrest.
Benches are fine but in some hunting situations (deer, elk & moose aren't fixed objects) you don't have all day to wait for the trigger to break. :twisted:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA