Rossi 720 44 Special?

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.
AhnkoChee
Founding Member
Founding Member

Rossi 720 44 Special?

Post by AhnkoChee »

Anyone here own a Rossi model 720 in 44 Special? How do you like it?
I've own a model 971 357 magnum, and a model 511 22LR both excellent values, but love BIG bores.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi 720 44 Special?

Post by Ranch Dog »

The 720 is the holy grail of Rossi's apparently, they seem well sought after.
Michael
JonB_in_Glencoe

Post by JonB_in_Glencoe »

I kinda fell into a 720 (in 44 spl) about a year and a half ago. Price was right. I love the feel of the gun.
So I bought it. I've shot it some, and found out the Cylinder throats and bore are way oversized...about .004" not a major problem for a home caster, but I had to buy some tooling to make this thing shoot accuately and not lead foul the barrel with cast loads...that's mostly what I shoot...Bought several molds from Ranch Dog, I love his designs.

a little history, when I got it, rear site blade was busted. I put up with it for a while, then recently I started looking for replacements...can't find anything anywhere. I took it to my local Smithy...He said that's plastic, and the front site blade is cracked and it's also plastic.

So he is making some replacements out of steel. I'll post some photo's when I get it back.

But I still like this revolver.
Jon
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jon, good to see on the forum. Suspect there might be some more leverguns in your future! :roll:

Typos courtesy of Tapatalk!
Michael
JonB_in_Glencoe

RD,
I guess you just never know ?
my shooting and gun collection hobby has taken me in lots of different directions over the last two decades, so I've never say never when asked a question like that. This 720 is the only rossi I currently own, I'm loving the revolvers these days. +guns

I only stumbled onto your site when runfiverun mentioned it at castboolits in a thread of a newbie asking why your Ranch Dog mold site closed. speaking of which, how did the ruger 480 mold run go? do you have any extras ? on another note, I wish I could have deverted some, or all, of that 25acp brass in your direction. Next time I stumble on some, I'll contact you first. I suppose I should get over to introductions to properly introduce myself soon.
Jon
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

JonB_in_Glencoe wrote:...how did the ruger 480 mold run go? do you have any extras ? on another note, I wish I could have deverted some, or all, of that 25acp brass in your direction. Next time I stumble on some, I'll contact you first.
The 480 Ruger bullet interest was low. I never did try to solicit much interest as I wanted to order them quickly to use it during hunting season which I did...

The information concerning the bullet was worded such to insure that those interested knew it was designed specifically for the chamber needs of the Rossi 92. Right there that really limits the interest with only 100 rifles out there. I had a spare a week or so ago sold it to Cyrus here on the forum for the rifle he just purchased.

Not to worry about the brass but I will take any you come across. Even with a tight gravel pad as the base for my pistol range, those little 25 ACP cases can be hard to chase. I loose about 25% of them.
Michael
JonB_in_Glencoe

Ranch Dog wrote: it was designed specifically for the chamber needs of the Rossi 92.
OH, good to know, a friend with a ruger revolver wants some 480 cast bullets, I'll have to look toward another direction then.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I forget now what I paid but everyone else was passing by this satin black Duracoated Rossi 720 DAO so I got something of a deal on it.

The broadside shot:

The angle shot:

The chunks of lead with the big hole shot:

The trigger pull would be just right but the hammer drags some Duracoat that got inside the frame so it has a small hitch in the first bit of pull. But it's not much and it's a pretty fun .44 blaster.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I forget now what I paid but everyone else was passing by this satin black Duracoated Rossi 720 DAO so I got something of a deal on it.
Holy smokes! That is an awesome looking revolver!
Michael
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

My experience parallels JonB's. I was flush with .44 Specials at the time and moved it to a fella who knew of the problem and only intended to shoot jacketed in it - or so he said. Many years later it showed up in the list of guns being sold at his estate sale.

Maximumbob, that is one beautiful 'Special. I love it!