4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby P89DC » 02 Aug 2015 09

Iplayfarmer wrote:...I'll be shooting primarily targets, but I will carry the pistol in the back country for defense against the four legged type of attacker. I want to be accurate, and I want to be fast. It sounds like I can't have both with one gun....

I have double action for my woods guns, double action is mandatory for me, I can't imagine I can use a single action in a volatile situation. I think they compliment a lever gun just as well as a single action. For actual protection, in the woods, where the problems are cougar or black bear, my preferred carry is 357 (covers two legged creature in the parking lot too).

Here in Colorado I carry a 3" Ruger SP-101 in 357. I don't have any trouble keeping it on target when I shoot one of those "shooting balls" with 158gn full-house magnum loads. For around the camp I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag that I had cut down to 4.5". If I was buying my first woods/range 357, I'd get what I bought back in 1994, a 4" GP-100:
Image

Image
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
User avatar
P89DC
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 24 Jul 2015
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 12 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby mr surveyor » 03 Aug 2015 21

P89DC wrote:
Iplayfarmer wrote:...I'll be shooting primarily targets, but I will carry the pistol in the back country for defense against the four legged type of attacker. I want to be accurate, and I want to be fast. It sounds like I can't have both with one gun....

I have double action for my woods guns, double action is mandatory for me, I can't imagine I can use a single action in a volatile situation. I think they compliment a lever gun just as well as a single action. For actual protection, in the woods, where the problems are cougar or black bear, my preferred carry is 357 (covers two legged creature in the parking lot too).

Here in Colorado I carry a 3" Ruger SP-101 in 357. I don't have any trouble keeping it on target when I shoot one of those "shooting balls" with 158gn full-house magnum loads. For around the camp I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag that I had cut down to 4.5". If I was buying my first woods/range 357, I'd get what I bought back in 1994, a 4" GP-100:
Image

Image



we seem to have common ideas. My favorite carry, and generally preferred "back-up", is a 3" SP101 .357. In my case, I'm not looking for it to be a period match for whatever long gun I may be carrying, but a match for my ability to use it for it's intended purpose.

You also mentioned cutting down the SRH. How did that work out? I have the 7-1/2" .44 mag SRH, and have considered having a couple inches "lopped off". Would certainly make it easier/faster to unholster when needed.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
User avatar
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: 16 Mar 2013
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 228 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: NE Texas

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby P89DC » 04 Aug 2015 08

The lower center revolver is my chopped SRH. Functionally it has worked out well, the shorter barrel is much easier to handle. The cosmetics could be better, the gunsmith made choices I wouldn't do again but it was a learning experience. Once I get my shop up and running I'll clean it up.
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
User avatar
P89DC
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 24 Jul 2015
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 12 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby Iplayfarmer » 04 Aug 2015 20

Well, based in large part on the advice from this forum, I ordered a 4.5" Blackhawk convertible yesterday in 357 mag/38 special. It also comes with the 9mm cylinder. I got the blued finish with the synthetic grips. I wanted wood grips, but the synthetic is what was available. I will likely get some wood grips in the future.
Iplayfarmer
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 27 Jun 2015
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: Idaho

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby mr surveyor » 04 Aug 2015 21

I'm anxious for the range report, targets and other pics. And, your choice of "leather".


jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
User avatar
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: 16 Mar 2013
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 228 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: NE Texas

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby Archer » 05 Aug 2015 00

Iplayfarmer wrote:Well, based in large part on the advice from this forum, I ordered a 4.5" Blackhawk convertible yesterday in 357 mag/38 special. It also comes with the 9mm cylinder. I got the blued finish with the synthetic grips. I wanted wood grips, but the synthetic is what was available. I will likely get some wood grips in the future.


Quite often the Ruger store offers different grip choices.

I have Hogue Exotics on my Python and my 4" 686. I went with Laminated rosewood with their custom fishscale checkering. I'd like to put the same on the rest of my smaller than .44 Mag revolvers but that'd add up pretty quickly. I THINK the rubber grips might be my preference for the .44s but I have to admit I haven't really done a lot of experimentation there.

I think I may need to get some new grips for my 29 since they have the Smith factory target grips but at the moment it is a safe queen and I haven't wrung it out.

WRT leather
On the double action revolvers I like Bianchi Cyclone 111 holsters.
For Semis I tend to gravitate to Galco Avenger style hosters or Bianchi 5 pancakes.
For single action revolvers a lot of the guys I know tend to go for El Paso Saddlery. I've used them for semi holsters for hard to find models and their work is nice. I think their single action rigs are top notch and can be had with lots of options.
http://www.epsaddlery.com/
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 365 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: SoCal Loco

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby Iplayfarmer » 05 Aug 2015 13

I actually have a holster already waiting for this gun. I did a big trade recently that involved saddles, guns, car stereos, and a bunch of other stuff. I hope it fits the gun.
Iplayfarmer
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 27 Jun 2015
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: Idaho

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby ryjo » 05 Aug 2015 14

I don't have a blackhawk but I do have a GP-100 with 6" barrel. At the range it's fun to reach out to 50+ yards and see what I can do with it. Probably couldn't do that with the shorter barrels. OTOH, I've taken the same gun backpacking and it is heavy - as in almost 3 lbs! Not really a backpacking gun. The weight makes it better for the recoil sensitive though - this is my wife's favorite gun to shoot because the weight tames the recoil. Everything is a tradeoff I guess so you probably just have to decide how you intend to use it most. The blackhawk may not have as big of a weight difference so the 6.5" may be the better bet.

But a smaller framed, shorter barrel 357 is on my "to-buy" list so I can have a woods gun without lugging all the extra weight around.
ryjo
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 20 Apr 2015
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: Utah

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby Archer » 05 Aug 2015 15

I have the GP100 6", S&W 686 in both 4" and 6" and S&W 19s in 6" and 4".
I really like the 19s for the weight and size factors. I wasn't going to get the 4" 19 but there were a couple that I just had to make an offer on and I think I got a decent deal.

I wouldn't mind getting a model 60 for the range since stainless is a little easier to care for.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots
 
Posts: 2697
Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 365 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: SoCal Loco

Re: 4.5 inch or 6.5 inch?

Postby mr surveyor » 05 Aug 2015 23

Archer wrote:I have the GP100 6", S&W 686 in both 4" and 6" and S&W 19s in 6" and 4".
I really like the 19s for the weight and size factors. I wasn't going to get the 4" 19 but there were a couple that I just had to make an offer on and I think I got a decent deal.

I wouldn't mind getting a model 60 for the range since stainless is a little easier to care for.


The Model 60 is really nice, but the 3" SP101 is really nice too ;)


jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
User avatar
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: 16 Mar 2013
Has thanked: 274 times
Been thanked: 228 times
My Rossi Choice: M92
Location: NE Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Advertisement
cron