The new 351 snub

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.
bonefamily

The new 351 snub

Post by bonefamily »

I finally brought the 351 2" home! What I didn't notice at the gun shop but did after looking at it more closely at home is that the grip screw seems to be a little long as it is protruding a bit on the other side of the grip. Is this common with these snubs? Also, after looking around for some grip replacements I came up with very little - only the rubber Pachmayr grips. Are these the only aftermarket grips for the 351? Thanks for the help.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The new 351 snub

Post by Ranch Dog »

bonefamily wrote:I finally brought the 351 2" home! What I didn't notice at the gun shop but did after looking at it more closely at home is that the grip screw seems to be a little long as it is protruding a bit on the other side of the grip. Is this common with these snubs? Also, after looking around for some grip replacements I came up with very little - only the rubber Pachmayr grips. Are these the only aftermarket grips for the 351? Thanks for the help.
Yeah, my grip screw was cinched down way too tight. You might relieve it a bit or shorten it a stroke or two with a file.
Michael
bonefamily

Post by bonefamily »

Thanks for the reply, Michael. I figured it might have been a common thing. Now that I look at pics online of them I can see the small buldge/hump in the photos. Rossi needs a shorter screw, or not have King Kong tighten them down :)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

bonefamily wrote:Thanks for the reply Ranch Dog. I figured it might have been a common thing. Now that I look at pics online of them I can see the small buldge/hump in the photos. Rossi needs a shorter screw, or not have King Kong tighten them down :)
+1
Michael
bigtrumpetman

Post by bigtrumpetman »

I gave my 351 to my wife for an anniversary present. But first, I went to the RossiUSA web site and found a pair of pink grips. They are exactly like the original ones, but pink. I don't have a picture of the 351 with pink grips, but I'll take one sometime and post it here. I have fired at least 3,000 rounds through this little gem, including -- maybe -- 300 +P rounds. I have five sets of grips for her, but they are VERY hard to find. I have a set of wooden old-style target grips (shown), a pair of small panels with a Tyler-T grip extender, a set of Compaq Pro grips, the afore-mentioned pink grips, and the original grips, which are completely worn out. Great gun! Best double-action trigger pull in the business. Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bonefamily

Post by bonefamily »

The wood grips look great! I wish I could find the ones you have mentioned. My search has only found the Pachmayr Compac grips for now...
bigtrumpetman

Post by bigtrumpetman »

I'll go through my old emails and see if I can find a source for you. I did learn that the Rossi 971 and 972 large-framed .357 Mag. six-shooters have the same grip frames as the Rossi 351. My brother's 972 grips are interchangeable with my wife's 351 grips. I'll ask him where he bought his wooden grips. It was a gun show, but I don't know which vender. Again, good luck.
bonefamily

Post by bonefamily »

bigtrumpetman wrote:I'll go through my old emails and see if I can find a source for you. I did learn that the Rossi 971 and 972 large-framed .357 Mag. six-shooters have the same grip frames as the Rossi 351. My brother's 972 grips are interchangeable with my wife's 351 grips. I'll ask him where he bought his wooden grips. It was a gun show, but I don't know which vender. Again, good luck.
Any information would be much appreciated - thanks!!
bonefamily

Post by bonefamily »

Well, I ordered and tried the Pachmayr ROS/C grips on the 351 which are said to be a direct fit - but they did not fit right. They slipped over the grip stock very convincing but they would not fully close around. They left about a 3/16" gap from being fully closed. It seems like there is too much material on the inside or something. I'm going to have a closer look at this and will report back in case anyone else is interested in getting these for their Rossi.