+P info needed

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.
bonefamily

+P info needed

Post by bonefamily »

Ok, I admit I am still learning about higher pressure rated ammunition. I just purchased a R351 for carry and would like to know more about +P .38 Special ammo. I believe I understand that the theory behind +P and hollow points is to give the expanding bullet more velocity for deeper penetration. However, how does the +P react in terms of felt recoil? I assume it is higher, but I have not fired any to confirm this. Also, how do loads with say 130 grain bullets vary to 158 grain bullets in terms of felt recoil? Thanks for the help!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: +P info needed

Post by Ranch Dog »

The SAAMI standard pressure maximum is 17.0K PSI and +P is an additional 1500 PSI, or 18.5K PSI. +P ammunition uses brass with a thicker web and is marked accordingly. Reloaders using +P load data must insure that they are using this +P brass. The SAAMI standard velocity for the 158-grain SWC you mentioned is 900 FPS and the +P 1050 FPS. Off hand, I'm not sure what barrel length is used with the velocity figures but with the 2" barrel of the 351, it will be less. In fact, in some cases and the 351 would be one of them, that is exactly what +P ammunition is used for; to make up for the velocity loss in short barrelled conceal carry handguns.
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

In general, at the same velocity the heavier bullet will have more recoil. The +p loads pick up a little velocity in a 2 inch barrel, but not much. You will notice the difference in recoil and blast between the standard and +P. Buffalo Bore has some nice loads for the 38 Special in a 2 inch. If I had to use one for defense, that is what I would get.
bonefamily

Post by bonefamily »

Thanks for the explanations, guys - I understand a bit better now and will keep an eye out for the Buffalo Bore 2". Of course I will not be using +P at the range for target practice (other than getting to know the round how it handles), but I do plan on carrying it. So, I assume that the 158 grain bullets are just a longer bullet and sit down lower in the casing to hold the overall length? Our local shop has a boat load of Blazer 158 grain in stock at a decent price.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

bonefamily wrote:So, I assume that the 158 grain bullets are just a longer bullet and sit down lower in the casing to hold the overall length?
That is pretty much it.
Michael
kenny

Post by kenny »

As far as felt recoil, last summer I fired some 9mm +P+ ammo and compared with standard 9mm. I could not tell the difference. This doesn't mean it's safe to fire +P or +P+ in any firearm, but at least the recoil isn't noticeable, to me.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I ended up loading my 38 just half grain over max for accuracy,,they still not as snappy as them +P deals.
All the +P self defense ammo I ever got was real light bullets with a hot load of powder.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.