351 and H4227

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

351 and H4227

Post by Ranch Dog »

My love affair with the little Rossi 38 Spl snub nose continues! I have both standard and +P loads of Lil' Gun established but I wanted to work up some alternative loads in order to use up some of the other powders I have sitting on the shelf. After a little trial, H4227 showed great promise so I went to work with it using my TL358-125-RF and it ended up working out very well.

Working up in increments to 15.5 grains for a standard 38 Spl load, I'm very pleased with the results! With my conceal carry handguns I always start shooting at 3 yards then 5 and then 7, not moving forward until I can shoot ragged holes.

I'm getting this accuracy with the 15.5-grain load with the 125-grain bullet averaging 924 FPS. Not bad for a little 2" barrelled revolver. As of late working with the speedloaders for tactical and emergency reloads. I think I'm good to go for self defense carry. The 351's function has been 100%.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: 351 and H4227

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I have the Taurus 651 in 38-357 mag. Great little gun!! And they are fun to shoot. I carry mine in a shoulder holster and thanks to one of your post purchased some 5 Star speed loaders. I plink with 38's and load it up with 357 the rest of the time. Looks like you found a winner!!!
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice results good carry gun for sure.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

There is a gun show here this Saturday and I'm looking for IMR 4227 and Alliant - 2400 when I go for my 454 Casull. I've heard some really good things about 4227 in the past and have been looking for it but have yet to find it locally. Hopefully I will find some of both as well as either Winchester WSF or WSP while there Saturday. If not I will be out the $15 entry fee.
Joe
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

How do you feel about the Maxfire loaders? I ordered two a long while back and the last two cartridges would fall out way too easy. Have they gotten better?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:How do you feel about the Maxfire loaders? I ordered two a long while back and the last two cartridges would fall out way too easy. Have they gotten better?
I haven't had any issues with them even with my heavy bullets. Are you using their pouches? I don't think that they are being manufactured anymore, that said, I bought a bunch of spares.

I have 5-Star speed loaders which are probably the best but they don't offer any pouches for carry so you must use generic pouches so you sound like mule in a harness walking down the street.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:How do you feel about the Maxfire loaders? I ordered two a long while back and the last two cartridges would fall out way too easy. Have they gotten better?
I haven't had any issues with them even with my heavy bullets. Are you using their pouches? I don't think that they are being manufactured anymore, that said, I bought a bunch of spares.

I have 5-Star speed loaders which are probably the best but they don't offer any pouches for carry so you must use generic pouches so you sound like mule in a harness walking down the street.
I picked up a couple of the 5 Star speed loaders for the Raging Bull 454 Casull. It seems they are about the only one that makes them. I asked them if they could make a range plate for them like they have for other guns. I was told they are working one both a 2 loader and 5 loader setup.

Oh and last week after looking for IMR 4227 and Alliant 2400 I found it though about 25 miles south of me but got it from a place called Reloader Supply. They had about every Lee press in stock as well as parts. Pleanty of powder and primers too. I didn't ask about bullets but that wouldn't surprise me. Now they don't sell guns just reloading supplies however they do FFL transfers for $15 only while every one around here is $25 to $30. Pretty nice guy that owns the place also and his prices are about $1 higher than Sportsman Warehouse too which is about right.
Joe
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Joec,

Have you tried out the 4227 yet? I have used it for 30 years with good results, though I mostly used the IMR version until lately. It meters great and is pretty bulky so it fills the case well, smells good too! It wont get to the very top speeds like 296/110- lilgun, but will get up there pertty high. And with a revolver you dont get the little powder "stings" on your forearms and cheeks like you do with the ball powders.There is usually a few kernels left in the barrel after firing, but that doesn't bother me, I'm definately not a clean freak.

Wish I could find some powder locally. All my shop has is stuff I have never used before cause it's too fast for magnum pistols.

$15 FFL....wow. $35-50 around here!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

donhuff wrote:. Have you tried out the 4227 yet? I have used it for 30 years with good results, though I mostly used the IMR version until lately. It meters great and is pretty bulky so it fills the case well, smells good too! It wont get to the very top speeds like 296/110- lilgun, but will get up there pertty high. And with a revolver you dont get the little powder "stings" on your forearms and cheeks like you do with the ball powders.There is usually a few kernels left in the barrel after firing, but that doesn't bother me, I'm definately not a clean freak
I've alway thought that about H4227! In general, I like the smell of powder at the bench and out the barrel but H4227 does have a good "flavor" to it.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

donhuff wrote:Joec,

Have you tried out the 4227 yet? I have used it for 30 years with good results, though I mostly used the IMR version until lately. It meters great and is pretty bulky so it fills the case well, smells good too! It wont get to the very top speeds like 296/110- lilgun, but will get up there pertty high. And with a revolver you dont get the little powder "stings" on your forearms and cheeks like you do with the ball powders.There is usually a few kernels left in the barrel after firing, but that doesn't bother me, I'm definately not a clean freak.

Wish I could find some powder locally. All my shop has is stuff I have never used before cause it's too fast for magnum pistols.

$15 FFL....wow. $35-50 around here!
I haven't tried it yet but will load a few rounds tomorrow with all being 300 gr, Freedom Arms JSP, Sierra JSP, Hornady FTX/Mag and Hornady FTX. I will probably hit the range with my 454 Friday or Saturday. I'll also be taking my R92 along also as I put new sights on it and need to sight it in. I have no urge to even try H110/W296 but do use Lil'Gun and also want to try some 2400 with it also so will probably load some of them tomorrow as well.
Joe