351 and Lil' Gun

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

351 and Lil' Gun

Post by Ranch Dog »

Finished up my load work with my little 351 yesterday using Lil' Gun and I remain very pleased with the revolver and feel confident with it as a self defense arm!

Using my heavy 380 Auto bullet, the TL358-125-RF, I'm seeing some very impressive groups and velocities with the flat nose, large meplat bullet. I am seating the bullet out to the first driving band to increase the overall length of the cartridge to but with a heavy crimp provided by the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die, the runout of the cartridge is nil and the performance outstanding. This is the loaded cartridge as it sits in the cylinder.
351_38Spl_TL358125RF.jpg
In the straight 38 Spl brass, I am using 15.5-grains of Lil' Gun for 965 FPS. Five shot groups have been running slightly over 1", an average of 1.15" at 21 feet. The target in the picture was with this load. The hole in the center of the target was from a clean cylinder and barrel, with the remaining shots grouping together. I typically do not clean the barrel, just swab it out with a patch wrapped around a brush. The Alox lube provides plenty of corrosion protection.

Using +P brass and 15.8-grains of Lil' Gun it the 351 seems to have gotten its groove on. The average of my five shot groups is running .98" at 21 feet for 1020 FPS. Actually, this is the typical pattern with my bullet designs follow. The harder you push them the tighter the groups. With the size of this handgun and the short sight radius, grip and sight picture is everything. It does fit my hand better and the fixed sights are better than any of my subcompact semi-autos.

Here is how the terminal performance of the standard round and the +P compare. For good measure, I've added the performance of the same bullet as shot out of my PT138 and then my TLC357-135-RF 9mm bullet as shot from my PT111.

My tendency nowadays is to lean to Lil' Gun but I still have 3+ pounds of H110 and a pound and a half of H4227. For something to do, I will try both of those powders as well.

The Max-Fire speed loaders fit well (see photo above) and the Ross Leather slide is a perfect fit. I worn the handgun all day yesterday and you forget it is there! Sorry about the blurry picture, it was a self portrait.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
357cyrus

Re: 351 and Lil' Gun

Post by 357cyrus »

Looks like a winner! I never thought too highly of the 38spcl. I guess I just drank too much of the muzzle energy Kool-aid. My first 38spcl was a Ruger LCR I picked up for hot weather ccw. I figured it was pretty inadequate, but better than not carrying at all. Well that all changed when I loaded up some "moderate" 125gr RNFP's with 5.0 grains of unique. They left the muzzle @ 815 FPS but hit dead on. Much to my surprise they also punched through a wet treated 4x4 post and left a quarter sized exit hole from 15 paces away. Im a pretty firm believer in the 38 now. I might have to look into one of those holsters though. Looks pretty comfy. I normaly pocket carry, and often run our of room for keys, wallet, and cell.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 351 and Lil' Gun

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very comfy!
Michael