2017 Taurus 85 snubbie

Rossi's classic designs for home and self defense, hunting, or range work.

Re: 2017 Taurus 85 snubbie

Postby alphalimafoxtrot » 25 Oct 2017 04

Second range trip update for this new to me 85 Taurus .38 - short but here it is!

Well, this time I went solo since my wife had other plans last weekend. I had intended to do the same as last go round, shoot the Model 85 with reloaded .38's and the Security Six and Rossi 92 with factory .357 ammo.

The range was super-super busy, and with wait time I ended up just visiting with some of the guys already shooting. Thought I'd just leave and try another day, but one of the group of guys I'd been observing gave up their spot for a few minutes so I could put a couple cylinders downrange with my Taurus 85.

I had some trouble in the first cylinder, behaved like it was locked-up. I was like, what is going on? When I dumped the remaining unfired rounds and empties, I noticed a primer was not fully seated and sticking out enough to hang up and prevent cylinder rotation. I inspected my ammo, ran two more cylinders, and was done.

Afterwards I went home and inspected all my .38 Special reloads - and found two others with primers not fully seated to the proper depth. Now, granted these were not my own reloads - I am embarrassed to say - but these have been shooting great thus far. I had bought about 200 rounds of .38 reloads more than a year ago.

I'm wondering if it is safe to try and shoot these single-shot in my Rossi 92, as I don't want to just throw them away loaded. I guess I could also use my bullet puller and take them apart, pour out the powder, and carefully tap out the primer.

You can tell I'm a newbie by my questions. Thanks for your time!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter

My Rossi Choice: M92

Postby HarryAlonzo » 25 Oct 2017 09

I don't believe there are any safety issues with with high primers in your 92. They won't stop the bolt from closing and they won't ignite with a manual bolt closure. I've had high primers in my .44 Spl reloads, before I invested in a primer hole reamer. Had the same problem with a revolver, and applied the same solution. I was careful to gently close the bolt with the rifle shouldered and pointed downrange, and I suggest you do the same. I don't think this is required, just hyper-safety conscious and prudent.
HarryAlonzo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ohio3Wheels » 25 Oct 2017 12

If you have the equipment you could pull the bullet, dump the powder (save it) gently finish seating the primer, put the powder back in and reseat the bullet. Or, you could just shoot them in the '92 as Harry suggested.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Postby alphalimafoxtrot » 25 Oct 2017 16

Thanks guys.
Good feedback for me to use!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ranch Dog » 25 Oct 2017 17

Good advice! I realize these were not your work but a primer pocket uniformer and reamer will cure the problem, especially with progressive reloaders.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Rossi Choice: Rio Grande

Postby alphalimafoxtrot » 26 Oct 2017 04

Ranch Dog wrote:Good advice! I realize these were not your work but a primer pocket uniformer and reamer will cure the problem, especially with progressive reloaders.

RD, you are spot-on with your advice as well. In fact, I've gone through every case I have saved/collected for reloading purposes and prepped them with my new Lyman case prep multi-tool. This is a great and simple tool for newbies like me, who aren't yet set up for bench loading just yet.

Kit includes a VLD (Very Low Drag) Inside Deburring Tool, Outside Deburring Tool, Large and Small Primer Pocket Cleaners, and Large and Small Primer Pocket Reamers.

And here's a plug for Lyman: mine was shipped with two large primer pocket cleaners, and missing the small cleaner. I emailed Lyman, and they shipped a replacement very promptly - no questions asked! They also included a DVD copy of all their product catalog items.

Well, thanks again for reassuring me of how to safely deal with these few odd rounds guys!

Adam
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter

Postby miniwini » 29 Nov 2017 04

Do you think that Tourus 85 will fit to my Taurus PT140 G2 Holsters ?
I will need to send them email and ask them but if you know maybe It will be much faster :D
Glock 43 Holster - New One Bought last week! +guns
miniwini

My Rossi Choice: Revolver

Postby Ranch Dog » 29 Nov 2017 06

I'd doubt it. Never seen a revolver slide into semi-auto holster.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Rossi Choice: Rio Grande

Previous

Return to Revolvers