What am I missing?

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What am I missing?

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:The 454 was lots of fun though. :mrgreen:
Yes it was but there are lots of moving parts inside. There really nothing to the Wizard/Single Shots. If the action is loose at lockup, I don't think there is much that can be done on our part. I'm not sure what could be wrong with the reported accuracy performance.
Michael

Post by 0369 »

It may have a generous throat, but the groups still sound extremely large. I'd cast the chamer, then make sure you don't have excessive head space. My son's Rossi in .243 doesn't group very well either but is satisfactory for short range deer. You may be able to get it to group by trying different bullets, but that would be costly.
slammer1

Post by slammer1 »

I've got some cerrosafe tucked away somewhere. I could cast my chamber/throat and see what it measures. I wonder if my Ranchdog .311's might be the ticket?

Okay, priorities:
1. Shoot with forend off to see if I have a bedding issue. If not,
2. Switch out to a proven scope to confirm it's not a scope issue. Inspect scope rail and screws to ensure proper fit. If not,
3. Clean bore of copper and poke around with some .311 cast boolits.

If I look at this positively, at least I've still got options! Thanks for supplying ideas,

slammer1
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good luck, please keep us posted.
Michael
slammer1

Post by slammer1 »

Well, the Rossi made it out to the range for another session. Switching out the scope to my proven Bushnell 4x actually improved things a fair bit. After sighting in and setting everything up the way I wanted it, I tried a very slow and deliberate 5 shot group from the bench. The result was a 4.5 inch group using 150 grain Hornady handloads. See attachment (hope I did it right).
Brad.jpg
I am confident that the change in scope cut my groups in half. 4.5 inches at 100 yards is approaching deadly enough for deer. I would expect this out of my SKS using milsurp rounds. I think I can do better with the Rossi!

On Saturday, the Rossi went in to the gunsmith for some trigger work (currently at 4.75 lb's) and for a pillar and glass bed of the forend. I'm looking at a 2 month wait on this. I hope the trigger work will reduce some of my horizontal stringing, as I noticed a drift through my scope as I squeezed the trigger. I'm hoping the bedding work will stabilize things a bit too.

I'll check back in when she gets back from the gunsmith.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slammer1

Post by slammer1 »

The photo makes the bullet holes appear to run vertically, but that's actually a horizontal string.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

slammer1 wrote:The photo makes the bullet holes appear to run vertically, but that's actually a horizontal string.
Gottcha! The horizontal stringing might be the lockup, play in the barrel/receiver lockup. Offhand, I haven't a clue how that could be checked.
Michael
slammer1

Post by slammer1 »

The smithy was impressed with the lock-up feel to the rifle. He's used to things feeling a little less solid with the Handi Rifles he gets in. I'm trying a few different things with the Wizard because:

1. The stock geometry works really well for me.
2. I've always wanted a reliable single shot deer/elk rifle.
3. I've got 4 kids coming up up. I'd like to get them to start out hunting with a safe(r) design.
4. I have a stubborn streak. This rifle has potential if I can unlock it. (gunsmiths do well off of us stubborn types :lol: For everyone else there's Savage Axis...)

slammer1
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I want one of these in 7.26x39 just cause but not sure now. May stick with a bolt action in that caliber.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Since kentucky mentioned cross-pin loosness, you might see if you need to shim up the loose side with some aluminum can shim stock and see if that improves the grouping? It would only be a temporary Fix, but then u could peen the loose side or send both barrels and receiver back to rossi and get a replacement.