Wizard chambered in 444 Marlin!

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wizard chambered in 444 Marlin!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm now the proud owner of a 444 Marlin. Took my 44 Mag barrel, a rented reamer and rechambered it!

This DIY project only cost $51 which included two shipping for the tool.

I shot it today, AWESOME! Now I really have "Matched Pair" of big bores that are unique. A 45-70 Govt and a 444 Marlin!

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!

[hr][/hr]
The following images and text has been added to this post on 11/10/12:

Originally, I had considered having my 44 Mag reduced to a minimum length but I decided against it as I really do not need another 44 Mag. I enjoyed the H&R I once owned chambered in 444 Marlin and often thought of buying another but there are certain things that I did not line with that line of rifles having owned three of them. So I thought I would check into having the Wizard 44 Mag barrel rechambered to 444 Marlin. I contact the fellow that does quite a bit of work for me but he is booked up. Shopping around it looked like it would cost $200 to $250 once the dust settled with shipping. I decided I could do this myself and when I was googling reamers, Elk Ridge Reamer Rentals was one of a couple outfits in the results. They seemed to offer the best deal. A three day rental for a floating pilot chamber reamer which included the standard pilot and one additional underdiameter pilot, headspace gauges, and shipping both ways was $51. I ordered the stuff late in the day and it was in my PO Box in 18 hours!

I had watch a 1:30 MidwayUSA video and it pretty much told me all I needed to know. Here are a series of pictures that document the work. Each image contains comments immediately below.
reaming_01.jpg
reaming_02.jpg
reaming_03.jpg
reaming_04.jpg
reaming_05.jpg
When order the tools, the shopping cart indicated that the reamer included the appropriate pilot and one additional size smaller pilot. There was an option to rent as many smaller sizes as you felt. I didn't quite understand it when ordering but the additional pilot was simply .001" smaller in diameter that the standard pilot. As I worked deep enough to engage the rifling, I had to switch to the smaller pilot. These pilots keep the reamer concentric with the bore. There is no worry with loosing concentricity when working by hand.

Prior to the tools arriving, I examined the SAAMI drawings for the 44 Mag and 444 Marlin. My concern was the headspacing spec and cutting it at the mouth of the chamber across the extractor. What I didn't understand was that the 44 mag was cut .050" over the spec. Likewise my 45-70 barrel was cut the same over spec. I thought that it must have something to do with the fit of a break open action. In that the barrel and receiver are caming over to a match, may be the case needs to seat slightly deeper. The headspacing tools didn't help and I could have saved $5 on the rental. Because of the additional space mentioned above, even the 44 Mag chambered swallowed both the Go and No-Go gauges!

As I continued to cut and the portion of reamer that would cut the mount across the extractor, I really monitored the progress with a magnifying glass. Not only is the 444 Marlin's case rim deeper than the 44 Mag (.63" vs .60"), the case rim is greater in diameter. As the work continued I could simple see the cut taking place. When the rim depth was reach, I simply took a couple of turns deeper. The snap cap chambered and the action shut but I could not get it open! I had to give it quite a hit across the barrel receiver pivot to bust it open. I went ahead and started cutting it deeper, sticking it closed a couple of times. When the action finally opened with the snap cap. I stopped the cutting. I cleaned the barrel, mounted the scope, and headed to the range behind my shop.

After the first shot with Remington factory ammo. The action was locked up, it would not open. I broke it open and went and cut a little more. After the third return to the shop for a little more reaming, it was spitting the cases out like crazy. I switched to my 444T loads and there where no issues with feed. I was only shooting at 25 yards but POI was almost single hole!

The initial cutting took an hour and the final fitting between the range and my shop took another hour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Wizard chambered in 444 Marlin!

Post by dpe.ahoy »

COOL!!! I haven't read much here on the Wizard, lord knows I don't need another addiction to feed! Guess I gots me some readin' to do. Have you shot it yet Michael? My Handi Rifle 444 does darn good, hope the Wiz does also. DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Have you shot it yet Michael?
Yeap shot very well. I just to some of my 444T loads and let it rip. I had an earlier H&R in 444 Marlin, not the current rifle. This was before they were offered. Gander Mountain had a run of 500 made. It was a good rifle but the trigger needed work. My Wizard's trigger is outstanding.

For the first couple of shots I locked it in my Lead Sled Solo (with 25# bag of shot in the tray), aligned it with a target at 25-yards, slid a string across the trigger, and from several feet away tighten the string. That Lead Sled jumps a inch in the air!
Michael
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

a 444 singleshot sounds like a good ideal, i did'nt know that anyone had ever made such critter. ok,i'll add that to the want list!
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re:Chambering reamers

Post by Steelbanger »

Good morning RD,

I'm entertaining the thought of rechambering a 30 carbine Blackhawk to 32-20. As it is now a 32-20 cartridge drops over half-way into the cylinder so there shouldn't be too much metal to remove. This brings me around to my question. Where did you rent your 444 reamer and was there only one or multiple reamers to complete the rechambering? Thank you for whatever info you can provide.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:Where did you rent your 444 reamer and was there only one or multiple reamers to complete the rechambering? Thank you for whatever info you can provide.
Morning Frank,

The rental was from Elk Ridge Reamer Rentals. I have pictures and more info to add later this morning detail this work. It is all done by hand with a piloted reamerdrawing that keeps the tool lined up.

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I updated the opening post with quite a bit more information.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Well, that rechambering job doesn't seem too bad. It sure is nice to have your range so close. For me it would be drive to the range, fire a shot, drive back home, ream a bit more then repeat the steps again. You handled the work correctly, knowing that you could always remove a bit more metal if necessary.

I visited the gunshop today but am still without a M92. I couldn't quite warm up to either of two in-stock 357s there. One had screws all buggered but maybe they're just soft metal. The second rifle was just slightly rough when opening & closing the action so I passed on both. One of these days I'll find one. It sure was nice being able to handle and compare two together. Also, the prices were marked $10 higher than when I visited their site two days ago. Not enough to stop the dealing but aggravating. Probably due to the election.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, best to walk away if things aren't right.
Michael
johnwayne

Post by johnwayne »

Thank you Ranch Dog for the thread and pictures. Your 44 mag to 444 Marlin conversion make me ponder a 357 magnum to 357 Maximum conversion. Our silly deer regulations here in IN require a cartridge of at least 35 caliber and a maximum case length of 1.8". Most of my shots are under 50 yards so I don't need a lot of power. The 357 mag is adequate but a 357 maximum would allow the sweet 175 Ranch Dog bullet to perform well with a bit less pressure.

Is this conversion doable and if so how do you like the Wizard overall?

Last night I removed my Burris Mini 4 power from my wonderful 700 Remington 250 Savage rifle and mounted it on a 357 Marlin in preparation for my future daughter in law. How sad that she can't use the 250 Savage. The trigger and lock time on the Remington is so nice. Does the Wizard come close? Can a Wizard trigger be worked on?

Thanks