youth SS in 308

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
nanuk

youth SS in 308

Post by nanuk »

I bought one of these some time ago

has anyone else noticed the cheek piece on the stock is so high there is NO WAY to use the fixed sights?

the rear sight is a small V in a dovetail about 0.250 above the barrel.... to sight down it, you have to pull your face off the back of the hump, and rest it on the heel...

There is absolutely NO WAY anyone, even a "Youth" could shoot this thing without being hurt.

I'm working on getting a Skinner sight, which should sit up high enough to use the stock as is....

I just wonder how high a front sight I'll need. I like the look of a Remington Ramp on it... just need an insert.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: youth SS in 308

Post by pricedo »

Looking at pictures of these rifles I think they were designed to function as paddles in survival situations.
I can think of no other functional reason for such an outrageous design of the butt stock. ;)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I see your experience with the Youth SS is the same as mine with the Wizard. i know a fellow on leverguns, living in Hawaii is using the Skinner sight on his single shot "hog buster" but it has the standard single-shot stock.
Michael
nanuk

Post by nanuk »

once I get a receiver sight on this thing, I think I'll fire up the belt sander and take that hump down to something usable...

as well, I might thin the wrist area a bit. It sure is fat
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

nanuk wrote:once I get a receiver sight on this thing, I think I'll fire up the belt sander and take that hump down to something usable...

as well, I might thin the wrist area a bit. It sure is fat
Personally I'm okay with the grip as it fits my hand well. I don't really know how they can solve the high comb in that if a scope is used, high rings are needed to clear the hammer. The H&R Handi-Rifle does vary the rifle butt stock a bit in that certain rifles do not have sights on the barrel but have a raised comb. My experience with my 223 and 444 Marlin was that the comb was not high enough once the scope was clear of the hammer. For me, the comb on the Wizard is optimum for viewing with a scope.
Michael
nanuk

Post by nanuk »

an option I used on one 45/70 handi was to get a fixed power compact scope.

the eyepiece is smaller diameter than the variables

mount it forward just so the hammer is behind the scope.

the Leupold M8 2.5x20 compacts are near perfect for this.

keeps the scope nice and low, and with the Handi 45/70's there is no raised comb so you can't get a good cheek weld, but with the low scope setting, it is better than nothing.

I do have some leather tie on cheek pads, I'll have to test for fit

I'll see about getting a picture of it soon.

no hammer extension needed.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If the gun action, receiver and barrel are all good and the gun is accurate and durable with a good trigger then you've got it made.
Wood fixes are easy.
Metal fixes can be problematic.
A badly designed butt stock with spare wood like the Rossi Wizard or the youth SS is easy to fix.
Just take some wood off in the right places.
A friend of mine has a break open action shotgun that originally had a humungous fore-end stock and he carved it into a beautiful Schnabel fore-end and hand checkered it.
Wood problems with surplus wood present are easy fixes.
Lousy skinny stocks are more problematic since once the wood is gone you can't put it back.
Stocks aren't that hard to make from blanks..........I've seen some beautiful home made stocks.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA