Going to give the Wizard a try

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Going to give the Wizard a try

Post by Ranch Dog »

With the funds generated from the sale of my SCJ44, I ordered a Wizard chambered in 45-70 Govt plus an additional barrel chambered in 44 Mag. Thinking of calling my FFL and changing that 44 Mag to a 357 Mag, still pondering it a bit. I will be cutting the short cartridge barrel down to 16" as 23" is just too long.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Going to give the Wizard a try

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, got the scope put on the Wizard chambered in 45-70 today. Not much time to do anything else. It weighs in at 7 1/2 pounds with my Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 on it.

I've owned three Handi-Rifles; a .223, 30-30, and 444 Marlin. It has been a decade since I last handled them and it seems to me that the Wizard has a bit heavier stock, the grip, than I remember the Handi having. It seems comfortable. The barrels do not require them to be sent back to be fitted to the receiver like the Handi or Rossi basic single shots. I did buy a 44 Mag barrel as well. I'll let you know how it goes, I will be shooting my 425-grain bullet.
Michael
nanuk

Post by nanuk »

I bought a Rossi single shot in 308Win (youth model, for a truck gun)

I found the wrist to be VERY plump, and not very comfortable, compared to any other rifle/shotgun I have handled.

the whole butt is WIDE.

once I get the scope sighted in (the fixed sights are USELESS!!!) I'll probably take a rasp to it.

I'm looking for a receiver sight for it. don't know if I'll go WGRS, or 5D style...
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I've handled some of the Rossi single shot guns and they are ungainly, clunky looking things.
I don't know how they shoot but they are definitely not attractive firearms.
Homeliness in people can't be helped but homeliness in a gun is a design choice........come on Rossi lets get with the program!!! :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

My NEF/H&R in 45-70 is a better looking gun than any of the Rossi single break-open actions I've seen and handled to date and it shoots good and has a really strong lock-up with crude but useful iron sights.
The Rossi b/o looks like an oddly shaped banjo with the over-sized butt stock.....no kidding....it does. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nothing like a fellow trashing a guys choice of firearm. Makes me like it even more ;)
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Nothing like a fellow trashing a guys choice of firearm. Makes me like it even more ;)
You don't buy a break open for looks anyway unless it's an English custom double.
Usually their home is behind the seat of a pick-up as a utility game getter so nobody sees 'em anyway.
If your range report is glowing enough I might buy one myself.
I wasn't criticizing you I was knocking Rossi for not making the gun more streamlined & graceful.
It might be the best shooting rifle they make in which case I'll buy one despite the aesthetic deficiencies.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Took the Wizard for a real quick test drive, I'm supposed to be busy farming and ranching. Using Winchester 300-grain JHP factory ammo.

First shot at the lower left quadrant target at 25 yards, made an adjustment and shot again. Looked good. Third shot at the center target at 50 yards, perfect! I decided to shoot at 100-yard so I made an elevation adjustment that I though appropriate. Shot the top right quadrant at 100 yards. As I ejected the first round at this distance, I noticed that the butt stock was loose. I went back to my shop, found an appropriate allen wrench and retightened the bolt. Shot it two more times and I am very impressed. Quit shooting as I have 4 rounds of this ammo left so I might try to kill a hog with it. Don't have time for any load work this week. I feel this single shot has a lot of potential!

The trigger is perfect. You better be on target if you are thinking about applying pressure as the bullet is downrange. Rossi has nailed the trigger, something that NEF/H&R couldn't seem to do during the period that I owned my three rifles. Ejection is very positive, nothing going to hang up on this rifle. Already learned to catch them as they come out.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

That's real good performance for a economy B/O action utility hunting gun.
The trigger no doubt has a lot to do with the exceptional accuracy.
I'm conjecturing that perhaps that ungainly looking butt stock facilitates a good cheek/shoulder "weld" and provides good back end stability.
Good gun to disassemble and keep behind the pick-up seat in case of whatever.
I'm convinced......if I see 1 on a rack somewhere and the numbers on the tag are right I'll pick it up.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I just wish that they would tailor the barrel length to something more appropriate for the cartridge. My 44 Mag barrel really needs to be shorter and cutting it down is an unnecessary expense and would have saved them some barrel stock. Other than that, the utility of a barrel swap without sending it back for a first time fitting should interest a few.

You mentioned the stock, I noticed right away that you saddle up to an adult's rifle not what I experienced with the feel of all my H&Rs. This is a big boy's rifle. The rifle came with a cloth case of takedown length. It needs some padding it there which I placed a fold of eggshell. When I go on the nilgai hunt this rifle will be stored with the truck just in case I need a replacement.

The Skinner peep should be here in a day for the 44 Mag barrel. I want to see how it shoots and then the barrel will off to Bose's in NE to be shortened.
Michael