Best Cheap Ammo for 223

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Best Cheap Ammo for 223

Post by akuser47 »

No all good I was just showing that there is two makers to Russian ammo. I like ppu def. great for the money its brass cased as well so if you reload. One that is not around anymore nor its prices back in the mid to late 90s sapson it was 25 bucks per 1000 at gun shows. I wish those days would come back.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mustachio

Post by mustachio »

try Freedommunitions.com
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Cheapest reloadable .223 I've seen in stores recently was Perfecta 55 gr FMJ at ~$15/50.
Also sometimes Walmart has ZQ-1 Turkish stuff in 30 packs for around $9 or $10 BUT that might be 5.56x45 instead of .223 Remington.
You can probably beat those prices online depending on delivery charges.

I am generally a little leery when I get too far away from major ammunition manufacturers. Black Hills and Georgia Arms are about the only commercial reloading houses that I'm comfortable using. I've had good results with Fiochi, Privi Partizan, Seller and Bellot, but I haven't used them in .223.
I've had good results out of Federal, Winchester and PMC in .223/5.56 NATO as well as other calibers. I'm less thrilled with Remington recently but they do stand behind their product. I think Winchester may very well have been better 20-30 years ago than now.

I'll pick up inexpensive blasting ammo but I've noticed that some of my firearms get picky about what they eat.

For example I've got a CZ 550 Varmint 26" heavy barrel in .308 that thinks Remington UMC .308 150 gr ball is complete crap and will put it out in about a 6+ MOA spread. Same gun, same day, same shooter(s), same scope put Federal 165 gr Tactical into about 1 MOA and did the same with SSA 168 gr Match.

My M1A likes the Remington UMC stuff a little better than the CZ but once again it shines with the 168 grain Sierra and 172 gr Lake City match ammo. I've seen similar results at the range with other M1A shooters.

I haven't sighted in my last two ARs yet but I suspect one of them if not both are going to like Black Hills 77 grain stuff better than they like 55 grain ball. One of them wears a White Oak SS .223 Wylde match barrel and the other one is a PSA SS Freedom 5.56 NATO build both are 16" medium gas system with 1:7 twist rates.

I'm still picking up some 'cheap' stuff but I've been leaning toward transitioning more toward reloading with Sierra and Hornady match and premium hunting bullets rather than bulk FMJ and I'm leaning more toward picking up rounds already loaded with those bullets as well.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Dang, I just picked up 800 more Winchester 55 gr FMJ bulk too...but you're right, especially with a 1:7" 16" medium like I have as well.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
sherman

Post by sherman »

Steel case ammo WILL NOT WORK in a Rossi single shot rifle after three or four shots it Will lock up and will not open for a few hours. I know what I'm talking about !!!!!!!!! stay very far away from this ammo
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Steel cased are coated with lacquer to keep them from corroding. Clean the lacquer off first and they may work.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If you wish to shoot steel cased and want to avoid the lacquered cases get the wolf military classic its made the old school way. Supposed to not be lacquered.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
TGC

Post by TGC »

Brown Bear 62 grain hollow points.