Rossi 12 Gauge/308 Win Combo (S12-308RBS)

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rossi 12 Gauge/308 Win Combo (S12-308RBS)

Post by Ranch Dog »

My interest is in the 308 Win and I picked this combo up along with my H&R combo over a week ago. Last night I opened the box and started setting up the rifle.

After working with the H&R, I realized what a good rifle Rossi produces. It is a real shame that Single Shot series was dropped from the 2015 catalog! The rifle was packed with grease but I appreciate that fact after working with the rust on the H&R! The bluing is deep and the synthetic stock is well finished and fitted, the rifle is pretty.

As I did on my 44 Mag Single Shot, I removed the raised cheek piece and used a God'AGrip stick on rest. This allows the use of "high" vs. "extra high" scope bases. Like the 44 Mag, the Taurus built rifle has a perfect 3½ pound trigger pull. I came to a halt at those scope bases, forgot to purchase them! I will get ordered and on and then supply the required picture.

I'm thinking I might have the shotgun barrel cut at a minimum length and then drilled & tapped for the Rossi supplied sights. I would like to shoot home cast round balls out of it for some reason.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi 12 Gauge/308 Win Combo (S12-308RBS)

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, durn if I don't seem to be snake bit. Not only did I have an issue with the H&R combo that I just bought but my Rossi Combo is on the way back to Rossi as well. I finally had it out of the box getting it prepped and bummer, there is significant lateral play between the barrel and receiver. When open the barrel at the breech end will move a ¼" left or right of center. When locked closed it seems tight but if you put some pressure on it, like at the muzzle end, you can feel it shift at the breech end. I think the 308 Win is going to put some pressure on it.

I double checked it by trying the both the 308 Win and 12 Gauge barrels on my 44 Mag frame and they were tight. When I put the 44 Mag barrel on the new frame, it was just as loose.

So, I called Rossi and tried to get them to cover the outbound shipping but they said this Combo is old stock if new. They told me to ship it to them with the receipt and they would refund the shipping after verifying the purchase date. I hope so as it was $36 to ship the the combo with the weight of both barrels.

Well, how about some pictures anyway!

I was very pleased with Rossi's barrel work. I designed my TLC310-180-RF to fit a SAAMI spec chamber and they hit the mark. I check the cartridge's required OAL by marking a cleaning rod that sits at the breech face and then with the bullet in the barrel supported by the throat. The difference in the two is the max cartridge OAL.

Bore and groove was perfect as well. .300" & .308"

Here is the H&R SC2 with the R308MBS. Cannot tell it from the picture but the bluing and stock finish is really nice on the Rossi and not so on the H&R. I do like using the God'AGrip cheek rest on the Single Shot as it allows the use of high vs. extra high rings. it also looks a bit better. In fact that is one of the two "cons" have with the Rossi. I think they should have a slightly raised comb molded into the stock and they other; they should use quick detach swivel studs rather than the sling studs. The rear sling loop wears very easily.

For the pros in comparison with the H&R, I like the bluing (all the metal work), stock finish and fit, the side safety, and even the hammer lock.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Looks like they got it part right anyway. How are the barrel interiors compared to the H&R which I think you said showed machine marks?

So with H&R folded and no SS in the 2015 Rossi line up are we now out of entry level top break rifle except for some very limited stock on hand?

Hope Rossi comes through and you get your gun back in a reasonable amount of time.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Looks like they got it part right anyway. How are the barrel interiors compared to the H&R which I think you said showed machine marks?
The barrel on the Rossi is perfect. They know how to make them.
Ohio3Wheels wrote:So with H&R folded and no SS in the 2015 Rossi line up are we now out of entry level top break rifle except for some very limited stock on hand?
Personally, I think the CVA Hunter is the rifle. There are not as many choices and they are hard to come buy it seems. When I called them they said they are bringing them in but I guess the demand for top breaks is consuming them. I see the CVA at the Victoria Academy but they seem to be youth models (CVA lingo is "Compact") but never a 35 Rem in any flavor.
Ohio3Wheels wrote:Hope Rossi comes through and you get your gun back in a reasonable amount of time.
Thanks, me too. Kind of a bummer and with all the projects this kind of thing, both the H&R and Rossi, will go to the back of the heap. So it might be awhile until I get back to them.
Michael
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

I see only the 243 and 7mm 08 at Academy in Lake Jackson. And of course 50 Cal Wolf at Gander
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Well, durn if I don't seem to be snake bit. Not only did I have an issue with the H&R combo that I just bought but my Rossi Combo is on the way back to Rossi as well. I finally had it out of the box getting it prepped and bummer, there is significant lateral play between the barrel and receiver. When open the barrel at the breech end will move a ¼" left or right of center. When locked closed it seems tight but if you put some pressure on it, like at the muzzle end, you can feel it shift at the breech end. I think the 308 Win is going to put some pressure on it.

I double checked it by trying the both the 308 Win and 12 Gauge barrels on my 44 Mag frame and they were tight. When I put the 44 Mag barrel on the new frame, it was just as loose.

So, I called Rossi and tried to get them to cover the outbound shipping but they said this Combo is old stock if new. They told me to ship it to them with the receipt and they would refund the shipping after verifying the purchase date. I hope so as it was $36 to ship the the combo with the weight of both barrels.
FedEx delivered the Single Shot combo yesterday, 17 days out and back. I don't think that bad. They did call me when they received it and called again to verify my return address prior to shipping it so that was helpful.

Here is what the warranty repair ticket has to offer.
  • Point of Failure: Function
  • Area of Concern: Stock/Forearm
  • Diagnostic Code: Damaged
  • Closed: Replaced
I find it strange that the assessment says that the Stock/Forearm was damaged in that the rifle barrel now locks tight with the receiver when closed even without the forearm on. Was that does, the "damaged" code, obligates them to need not refund my return shipping charge of $36. That brings the price of this firearm to $298; making it, simply, disappointing. That said, it is what it is.

I am glad to have it back and want to get it shot. I woke up about 1:30 last night and there was a huge hog in my yard. This fellow was an easy 200# field dressed. I just watched him as I want to shoot the next hog with my 308 Win bullet, the TLC310-180-RF, from either this Single Shot or my Savage 10FCM Scout.

I was out on the tractor again early to bring my quail habitat work to a close, I'm completely done. I unpacked the R308MBS and to put rings and a scope on it but the Weaver rings would not tighten down on the base. I tried them on a Weaver base for another rifle and they worked fine. I've run into this issue of the Rossi base being a bit under width before but not to this degree. I had a spare Single Shot base in a parts bin but I guess it is in there because it has the same issue. Bummer but I will figure it out. One way or another a 308 Win is going to get that hog one night this week!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea, the wizards had my interest when new and looked promising but they had issues as well and not being able to check function and lockup before purchase kept me from trying. I'm glad it worked out though it cost you which is not fair in the fact that a real smith could see if the locking pivot (my words) is out of spec to make the action lock up correctly.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!