Wizard 2 Osprey Red Dot 0

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Wizard 2 Osprey Red Dot 0

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

As some of you may recall the Wizard (45-70) destroyed a Osprey red dot earlier this year. Osprey has a lifetime warranty so I shipped it back and they sent me a new site. Today was finally range day so took the Wizard and his friend the Sharps out to the range in hopes of getting some ammo tested in both.

Things started well enough, then my old 35P chronograph decided to go south. It stopped feeding paper so it was not possible to get a summary or anything and then a series of no reads. So packed it up and went on with shooting, two rounds later and no dot so a little hard to refine the settings and shoot for groups. What little I was able to determine using what Osprey calls back up sights on the red dot the Wizard seems to like black powder. Did get a few preliminary velocities on some Black Horn 209 loads before the machine.
shut down on me. More on that latter.

Guess for the time being I'll put the stock sights back on the tube so I can play. Has any one done anything with after market sights on a Wizard barrel? If so what did you use?

Nikon tells me that their sights are test up to 50 BMG so one of their scopes is a possibility but I didn't really want a scope as this is supposed to be a woods rifle.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
vvllbs

Re: Wizard 2 Osprey Red Dot 0

Post by vvllbs »

Find out the diameter of the screws and you'll be amazed at what you can put on it. The trick with single shots is the height, if you're going with iron or peep sights. I have a plain 1X scope with no dot that use on all my new guns, it's very accurate and works on anything 22 and up. I bought it by accident but it's a keeper
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Now you've got me curious. What brand is your 1x scope? That might just be what I'm looking for.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

It's a Swift Model 666, let me see if I can find a photo. Old timers say 1x is super fast target acquisition. You can find a 2.5X tasco that can handle heavy recoil too
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

There is one on eBay for only $55.00
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439141436.036475.jpg
this is a great deal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Thanks for the info.

The saga continues. I was planning a range trip today so last night I decided to pull the red dot and put the factory "sights" back on. Discovered that the battery cap was about 2 turns loose :oops: dots are back. So put some clear nail polish on the mount nuts and along with the sharps, the 92 and the 35 headed to the range. It's becoming obvious to me that in spite of claims from some folks, not Osprey, that they use these things on there deer slug guns they are not designed or maybe just not assembled to with stand recoil of the nature of a 45-70. These aren't hot loads 66.3 grain of Goex 2Fg and a 420 grain bullets. On the 5th round today something smacked me in the forehead. Quick check that rifle was intact, scope laying on bench, mount still on rail. The mount is attached to a sort of rail integral to the scope body and held to the mount by 2 machine screws. Looking at it after my head cleared :) it looks like there was maybe 2 turns engagement and some kind of thread "locker" that looks like dried Elmer's white glue.

So either a scope or new open sights are on the agenda.

Make smoke
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Spent the day looking at sights. So far I think possibly the Skinner is in the running, but there s some question about what to do about the front site if the piece of plastic is either too short or too tall. The other choices are 3 scopes, the Swift 1x you guys mentioned, the Bantum 2.5 and the Nikon ProStaf 2x7x32. Nikon already responded to my question about recoil that their scopes are tested up to 50 BMG so I think the wizard would have to try hard to wreck that one.

Still investigating. Really don't want another smack in the head :D .

Make smoke
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Well the sun is up, the sky is clear and the honey doo list is mostly empty :D . Factory "sights" are back on the wizard think it's range day :D .

Off to make smoke,