Please share thoughts on SS 223

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Please share thoughts on SS 223

Post by Ranch Dog »

sherman wrote:Rossi single shot rifle's will be dead on at 100 yrds for the first shot if you get it to fire after the barrel gets hot in about two rounds it will be high or low again if it fires. It will not shoot cheep ammo. and after the end of the day you will wish to god that you had not bought that rifle
Haah, no kidding. I think all the low cost top break actions that use bottlenecked cartridges are suspect to the issues you identified. A bit of luck in the pick. I think a bottle necked cartridge needs tight headspace control and only the higher end of top breaks can provide the precision needed in the fit.
Michael
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Ranch Dog, any luck at finding the single shot CVA 44 mag yet? None here, but my main FFL dealer is on the lookout for me
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Sherman, have you tried putting several small pieces of paper on the cartridge neck to hold tight headspace tension. I use the little strips between stamps that have tape on the backside and put a strip opposite each other on the cartridge neck. This makes a tighter chamber fit and may improve accuracy. It doesn't cost anything to try.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Sherman, have you tried putting several small pieces of paper on the cartridge neck to hold tight headspace tension. I use the little strips between stamps that have tape on the backside and put a strip opposite each other on the cartridge neck. This makes a tighter chamber fit and may improve accuracy. It doesn't cost anything to try.
You are doing this with each shot?
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424479941.814295.jpg
it just makes the cartridge fit a little tighter in the chamber.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Zippidydoodah wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424479941.814295.jpg
it just makes the cartridge fit a little tighter in the chamber.
This is interesting, Never seen this done before. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

You could also squeeze the side of the brass and make it slightly out of round. That will make it harder to chamber and it will stay where you put it. I did this to fire form some brass once.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm not sure if Zippdy is a reloader but wouldn't neck sizing once fired brass do the same. A cast bullet could cure the issue as well.

My R762, 7.62x39 shot well, when it shot.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I agree with you rd. I neck size or fire form my .308 ammo in my 700. Tightens the groups up a tad. I will even be trying this in my ddm4v5 as soon as winter is done here. Lol
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

BING!

IF that's what I was going for I'd be neck sizing for sure.
IF I was worried about it that much and not in a hurry I might also be clock indexing the brass head stamps just in case. but there's such a thing as going a bit far.

The biggest reason I don't neck size for single guns is I tend to own several guns in each caliber and in most cases in addition to actions that might benefit from neck sizing I also own levers or semis in most of those same calibers that don't tolerate it well. Keeping ammo set aside for a specific gun is something I've tried to avoid.