Please share thoughts on SS 223

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ohio357MagFan

Please share thoughts on SS 223

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Hi Everybody,

I joined this forum yesterday because I do a lot of shooting and handloading for a Rossi 357 model 92. Couldn't be more happy with the firearm, its my favorite in my collection!

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Rossi single shot Youth model 223. Basically I already have a very expensive Remington 700 223 with scope and I love it BUT it just is no good for the style of shooting I mostly do now which is spending an afternoon with the family doing close range within 50 feet shooting at bowling pins and water filled milk jugs and water balloons. For this style I actually want open sights instead of a scope and something really light and handy, it seems the single shot 223 fits this bill perfectly and I want the youth size so my kids can enjoy it too and I actually like the fact it's single shot. The compact 16 inch barrel Rossi 92 357 mag suits this style of shooting perfectly, i just want to add a 223.

Basically from what I've read on this model there are only two issues, misfires from light primer strikes and the slow 1-12 twist (not sure this would even be a problem if most of the shooting is within 50 feet even with heavy bullets though). Do you all know if Rossi has gotten the light primer strike issue fixed yet?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Please share thoughts on SS 223

Post by akuser47 »

The light primer strikes is a gamble some rifles are ammo picky with light strikes some do it with any ammo. It's a gamble hr even had this problem as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Akuser,

This makes me really nervous about buying one! Is there any fix for this? This is so disappointing to me because the Rossi single shot 223 is exactly what I'm looking for. I would buy one of the value priced bolt actions in a similar price range if they came with open sights but unfortunately most rifles don't even come with open sights anymore and like I said that suits my style of shooting much better then optics.

Let me add, most of the ammo I shoot is my handloads, do you have any thoughts on how the rossi single shot 223 would do with handloads? I usually use winchester small rifle standard primers, non magnum if that means anything.
SAN14

Post by SAN14 »

I got the urge to get one of these to replace the H&R 22 hornet I foolishly sold to my son. I found and bought on one of the gun auction site. It was used but looked ok and had a decent scope for a bargain price. This was before I heard of the light primer strike problems. Well, I got lucky...a little cleaning and it's never skipped a beat, even with hard mil. primer ammo. Accuracy has been acceptable averaging around 1 1/2 in.. That's not bad for a very lightweight, inexpensive rifle.
You will have to make your decision based on what you have read. If you do decide on getting one, make sure there is a guarantee like my seller did. Good luck!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Like I said they are a gamble. If I were you get a zaztava m85 in .223 much better reviews. Ranch Dog even has one in 7.62x39. The only negative I hear on these is the scope bell can be in way of working action if useing a large scope. Also watch for used savage rifles. The single shots can be a gamble. I agree with ohio357mag says make your decision after reading a bit.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ole single shooter

Post by ole single shooter »

I would hope that Rossi will find a solution to the problems with their light strikes. It should be a simple task for A good engineering team.
Meanwhile I would seek a comfort zone at Bud's Guns in Kentucky. They are showing the New England Handi in .223 at $235 plastic stock and $265 mystery wood stock. I have an older Handi heavy barrel with the ejector rather than the new style extractor.
I reload for the .223 and the tested powder list is long. I shoot mostly simple 55 gr .FMJ now that they can be found again, but shot lots of cast lead with copper gas checks 223s during the so-called shortage .
I have loaded .223 range salvage brass over 40 times with only a couple annealing's without problems as long as the loads are kept moderate .
I have an excess of brass but was told that Remington brand 223 brass was no good for reloads. So much for that theory . lol
Another note on the Handi. Be cautious that it has the open sights you want .Some are set up for varmint with scope rail only.
Wish you success in your quest
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

ole single shooter wrote:I would hope that Rossi will find a solution to the problems with their light strikes. It should be a simple task for A good engineering team.
Well it is neither here nor there now as the Single Shot series have been discontinued.
Michael
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Ranch Dog, I heard H&H discontinued all single shot rifles this year, but are you sure Rossi did too? Oh no.

I have handled both the Rossi and H&R handi rifles and the Rossi felt lighter to me and it had really nice fiber optic sights. The handi's and all these new budget priced rifles have no open sights, this is frustrating. The style of shooting I like most is just like the Hickock45 videos, close range knocking down steel or bowling pins or water jugs, he even said he much prefers open sights.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio357MagFan wrote:Ranch Dog, I heard H&H discontinued all single shot rifles this year, but are you sure Rossi did too? Oh no.
Yeap, dropped. 2015 catalog is available. Also dropped the Rio Grande and the R92 chambered in 454 Casull.
Michael
SAN14

Post by SAN14 »

Assuming that firing pin protrusion and headspace are correct, that leaves a weak hammer spring as the only culprit causing light primer strikes. Rossi's QA with hammer springs must suck....they probably never test them for proper tension, whether they make them themselves of purchase elsewhere.
Has anyone here tried to replace their weak spring with some other spring or strengthen the one they have? Too bad Wolff Spring inc. doesn't step in to help.