Please share thoughts on SS 223

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Zippidydoodah

Re: Please share thoughts on SS 223

Post by Zippidydoodah »

When I form brass 7.7 jap as I pictured from 30-06, sometimes it is sized a little loose, yes fire-forming will correct. I reload 7.62 and 357 Herrett, 7 tcu and 7-30 waters and others. It is all a challenge.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Have you looked at the Thompson Crnter Contender series. They have all interchangeable barrels in both pistol and rifle, are very light , and are readily available thru Gun Broker, midway, etc etc and eBay has many barrels as well. They have excellent sights, (not plastic), and great triggers adjustable to boot
Barrels range from .17mach2 to 45-70 and custom barrel makers offer more. Once hooked remain hooked
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Have you looked at the Thompson Crnter Contender series. They have all interchangeable barrels in both pistol and rifle, are very light , and are readily available thru Gun Broker, midway, etc etc and eBay has many barrels as well. They have excellent sights, (not plastic), and great triggers adjustable to boot
Barrels range from .17mach2 to 45-70 and custom barrel makers offer more. Once hooked remain hooked
I have avoided them in an attempt not to get caught up in your last statement.
Bad enough that I've rarely seen a lever action I didn't like.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Every one has their own poison
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Have you looked at the Thompson Crnter Contender series. They have all interchangeable barrels in both pistol and rifle, are very light , and are readily available thru Gun Broker, midway, etc etc and eBay has many barrels as well. They have excellent sights, (not plastic), and great triggers adjustable to boot
I've never cared for the butt stock on a pistol grip look. That was the same as the Rossi Wizard that I owned and just didn't like them. That is a personal thing. Honestly, the only top break that has rung my bell is the Ruger #1 but that is an expensive game to play and it doesn't ring my bell that well. The other day, I noticed that Ruger's website no longer lists any cataloged #1, I guess they dropped them this year.

I wanted a Rossi in 44 Mag for while for a back door hog killer. If I was going to get into the top breaks I would pursue the CVA Hunter and Scout series.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:
I wanted a Rossi in 44 Mag for while for a back door hog killer.
Speaking of which, how do you like yours?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Speaking of which, how do you like yours?
Haven't shot it yet. Weather has been pretty wet and a lot of ranch chores. I have it all measured and setup. Barrel bore & groove plus chamber dimensions are on the SAAMI spec. Bluing is deep and the synthetic stocks are finished and fitted very well. Heavy trigger pull but that is just the nature of the beast.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Sounds like they are using a stronger hammer spring!
That would be good news and easy to retrofit to ss.
sherman

Post by sherman »

I have a single shot Rossi in 223 rem. If you take the hammer extn. off and only use US made ammo you will be just fine for about 4 to 5 shots after that God only knows where the rifle will shoot after it gets hot.
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Sherman, it sounds like the hammer extension slows down the force then