Rossi rifle possibility

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
muttdad

Rossi rifle possibility

Post by muttdad »

Hi: Newbie to single shots by way of considering getting into muzzle loaders. Decided they are too much work and a lot of stuff to haul to the range. All my other guns are bolts and semi-autos. Break open single shots intrigue me. Hoping to get an H and R before they disappear. If not I will go with Rossi. Any quirks or characteristics to be aware of ? What to pay attention to ? It will be in .223 probably the heavy barrel unless I hear otherwise. After it's broken in and settled down what kind of accuracy can I expect at 100 yards ?
........... Thanks for your advice. :D
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Rossi rifle possibility

Post by akuser47 »

Light primer strikes are most common issue for the rossi single shots. I cannot help on the accuracy.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, the light primer strikes is a common issue with the SS. I read every post on the forum and what also comes to mind as I go back through my grey cells are accuracy issues, particularly the 223 Rem.

Last year, Rossi really slimmed down their Single Shot line to three versions of both the 223 Rem and 243 Win and a 44 Mag model. I owned a 7.62x39 but struggled with the light hammer strikes, I had it fail to fire two different times with a hog in the crosshairs despite all the work I did on the issue. This is a product line that has been around a long time so shouldn't this issue be solved by now? Of course, the Wizard seemed have cured the light strike issues but the promised barrel line up never materialized and it was dropped from production last year. Even if Rossi cured the light strike on the existing models, it would be tough to figure out if you had an affected rifle or not under buying consideration as there is just so many of them.

I have a 12 Gauge Slug Gun and have never had a light strike issue with it. I've taken both my 7.62x39 and Slug Gun apart to compare the clock works and I could not see what the issue might be. I would say it might be headspacing with bottle necked cartridges and the breech break action but my neighbor has a 243 Youth Rifle and has never experienced an issue with it.

A couple of times I've wanted to buy the 308 Win that was discontinued or a 44 Mag but really, I'm spooked. My dad wanted a .410 for raccoon control at the house and my FFL has them for $120 but I spent three times that on a Savage Model 42 for him because the SS has buggered me.

I've owned three H&R rifles; a 223 Rem, 30-30 Win, and 444 Marlin. I had continuous issues with the first two and none with the last. All three left a long time ago.

Last year I purchased a CVA Hunter chamber in 35 Rem. The price point is the same as the Rossi Single Shot and H&R. The firearm was flawless. It was the compact model. When CVA call it a Youth gun, you better believe it as it was small (I bought it sight unseen on line). I should have bought the full size rifle as it was just too small for my 6'3" frame. My best friend, Joe, is a small frame guy and he took a shine to it right away as he has a hard time finding a rifle that fits. He also really likes the performance of the 35 Rem so I gave it to him. He is still shooting and hunting with it and has had no issues with its performance. I just haven't gotten around to buying its replacement yet, the full size rifle. This rifle is the one I would look at.
Michael
muttdad

Post by muttdad »

Thank you Ranch Dog and AKuser. I may look into CVA again but initially got scared away with the barrels exploding on their M/L's around 1997.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

All I know about cva is they got bought in 1999 and their qaulity control was improved.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

muttdad wrote:Thank you Ranch Dog and AKuser. I may look into CVA again but initially got scared away with the barrels exploding on their M/L's around 1997.
That is the one thing that improved with the manufacture moving out of country. Everything is built in Spain now.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Did the hammer springs appear to be the same diameter, or size. The firing pins appear to be the same diameter.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Did the hammer springs appear to be the same diameter, or size. The firing pins appear to be the same diameter.
If this is reference to my 7.62x39 and the Slug Gun… yes.

Looking at what it takes to get everything on the receiver assembly pin, I think all the issues are associated with the drag between the parts. I think what you get is the luck of the draw in this type of design and that goes for the H&R.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

RD, didn't you say 5100 Cleveland bent his hammer spring on his 7.62x39 and the light primer strike issue went away ?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:RD, didn't you say 5100 Cleveland bent his hammer spring on his 7.62x39 and the light primer strike issue went away ?
No, I don't think I did. I know it was talked about but I never attempted it on my rifle.
Michael