22 vs. CF frames

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
SAN14

22 vs. CF frames

Post by SAN14 »

I'm curious to know if Rossi's 22 rifle frames (receivers) are the same as their centerfire. Are they the same size, hardness, and same or different firing pin system. This is the older "single shot" rifles we're talking about.

I have a 223 now (which shoots great) and just found a 22 for sale cheap. If I can fit the 22 to my frame, I'll sell off the other one.
Zippidydoodah

22 vs. CF frames

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Don't think they are the same frame. The 22 barrel was offset so the conventional centerfire pin could do the ssme job. The 22/410frame is also narrower than the .223/other sizes.
Zippidydoodah

Re: 22 vs. CF frames

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I'm told the 22/410 frame is narrower than the centerfire frames. When I had the 22 frame I never measured it but it appears narrower than the cf frames. The .223 and other cf calibers were based on the 20/12 shotgun frame and the metallurgy may be stronger than the 22/410 series. Nothing wrong with having 2 complete systems.
jdb

Post by jdb »

I can't tell ya about the frame size SAN, but I suspect the guys are right about that. As to the strength of the materials. I seriously doubt that there is any difference in the materials that a particular manufacture uses for one gun over another in the same model.

Gun makers only use hardened materials where they MUST in the first place. If they can use a mild steel on a frame, they do. Heck, some use aluminum and brass where they can. High strength steel for barrels, pivot pins, firing pins, that sort of thing are pretty much a must. The safety requirements they must meet for a 22 is just as high as it is for a 454. Only difference is in how they choose to meet that standard. Some may go with a thicker milder steel while others use a thinner stronger alloy to meet the same requirements.

And the wear quality that a manufacture builds into a gun usually extends across all the caliber options for a particular model. So if they use a high carbon pivot pin, tempered for wear resistance in a 410, it will likely meet the same standard as the 12 gauge. Just scaled down for the smaller calibers is all.

At least that's the impression I get from the guns I've owned over the years. Not all guns are created equal, but USUALLY all the guns in a particular model of one manufacture are.

IF that makes any sense? ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

If you ever look at some of the bad designs Winchester and others put out such as the Winchester model 150 lever action in the 60-70's what a piece of junk. They all cheapen up as much as possible plastic end caps, plastic trigger guards, etc
They are all guilty to some degree. You have to look closely and determine if it meets your standards
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I've been looking at the Rossi single shot for a barrel stubbing project. From looking at them at the gun shop, the 22/410 is a much smaller frame. The O.D. of the .22 barrel I measured at the gun shop was .780. I didn't measure it, but the frame looked about .75 wide. From research on the net, I believe Rossi made a 357 magnum rifle on a small frame. Now, is it the same frame as the 22/410? Same materials? Same strength? Those are questions I'd like to find out.

I also saw an Ebay advert for a sawn single shot frame from a CF and the specs claim the width was 1.125"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rossi-braztech- ... 1e96c27016