New Matched Pair 223 POA vs. POI Issue

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
enrique estrada

New Matched Pair 223 POA vs. POI Issue

Post by enrique estrada »

about a month ago i purchased a rossi match and after installing a scope and sighting it in its off about 6-8 inches to the left .. has anyone ran into to this .. i called rossi and will be shipping rifle to them ... jus woundering if thier is something i can do .. with to fix it .. so i wont have to ship rifle
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Matched Pair 223 POA vs. POI Issue

Post by Ranch Dog »

enrique estrada wrote:about a month ago i purchased a rossi match and after installing a scope and sighting it in its off about 6-8 inches to the left .. has anyone ran into to this .. i called rossi and will be shipping rifle to them ... jus woundering if thier is something i can do .. with to fix it .. so i wont have to ship rifle
Welcome to the forum Enrique, I too would try to avoid shipping the rifle back if at all possible.

You didn't mention the a couple of things about about the Point of Aim…
  • Was the rifle bore sighted before you started to shoot?
  • What distance are you shooting at?
  • Have you adjusted the windage on your scope to the point it has reached your limit?
The assumption is that the holes used for the scope base mount are aligned with the longitudinal axis of the bore. This is generally correct but I have seen them off on every manufacture of rifle I can think of.

The same assumption is made of a new scope, that it is centered, but it is easier to check. Place the exit bell against a mirror and look through it. The cross-hairs should be a single, clear, and crisp image. More often than not you will see a slightly double image that will require a slight adjustment of elevation and windage.

I have both laser and an optical bore sighter and my choice is the later hands down. Even with this done, it is highly unlikely that the rifle will be sighted in at 50 and especially 100 yards. After bore sighting, I start the shooting at 25 yards. At this close distance I'm not too concerned with elevation, that will be my focus at 50 yards, but I'm very concern with the windage. I want it perfectly centered at 25 yards.

If we are talking about the Point of Impact (POI) being 6" off at 100 yards, that is really not a lot of distance. That is 5.73 minutes of arc (MOA) or .0955°. The mount being less than one degree of alignment with the bore is… well, next to nothing so I would adjust it out and shoot.

If the distance is inside 100 yards, particularly if it is 25 yards, it is more of an issue but can be cured with rings such as the Burris Signature Zee rings. These rings use inserts that are available in various degrees to compensate for issues with mount alignment.

I have a R92 chambered in 45 Colt that I use as a scout rifle. The mount holes were 4.5° out of alignment. I just used standard rings and made the adjustment. I have another R92 that is a 480 Ruger, the barrels on these rifles where not drilled at tapped for the Rossi Scout Mount, so I had to have a one made. It was off in elevation 4.5° (downward) and with the large drop of the heavy bullet I ran out of up elevation to correct it. The Burris Signature Zee rings did the trick with it.
Michael
enrique estrada

thanks Ranch Dog .. !! well we used a laser bore sight the one with. a magnet that u stick at the end of the barrel ... ... but before when i got the rifle we used the bushnell scope alianment ..and it was off .. but a still shot about 70 rounds .. so yesterday we used the laser bore sight with magnet that u stick at end of barrel ... and we shot about 15 rounds and could never get it its to the left about 6 inches
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You are at the end of your windage adjustment?
Michael
jdb

Post by jdb »

Ranch Dog wrote:You are at the end of your windage adjustment?
Really??? I'm with you Ranch. If it's still 6" off at the end of the adjustment...how far off was it to begin with? I mean, at 70 yards, each click is still nearly a 3/16" movement. So that's only about 30 clicks to fix it for 6". Heck, I've had to go more than a full round before because the scope mount holes weren't drilled square to the barrel center line...but it eventually got on target.

MAN...that's a LOT of adjustment for 70 yards. If that's true, something ain't right for sure!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jdb wrote:MAN...that's a LOT of adjustment for 70 yards. If that's true, something ain't right for sure!
jdb... I think the "70" was in reference to the number of rounds shot. Still no info on distance.
Michael
enrique estrada

we where at 25 yards ...
enrique estrada

i dont have any experience at all .. with scopes nor shoting .. but we did sight in a old marlin 22 with a cheap scope lastnite .. n we jus cant get no where with the rossi ..
enrique estrada

hey ranch dog ... i jus did the deal were u set it against a mirror and its offf big time ... ?? i see what ur telling me !!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

enrique estrada wrote:we where at 25 yards ...
Ok, does the shot group respond to windage adjustment at all? What kind of scope is it? There is always a possibility that the scope is bad.
Michael