The Wonderful(?) Wizard of Brazil

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
PossumJr

The Wonderful(?) Wizard of Brazil

Post by PossumJr »

So I recently got a new, now discontinued, Wizard and I thought I might as well do a sort of first impression followed by updates on my Wizard experience for others to compare against and inform others who might consider getting one used or before the NOS dries up. Sorry if this is lengthy.
Anyways, here's the Wizard straight out of the box, fresh with yummy cosmoline. This one is chambered in .243 Win with a nickel finish, picked it up for $190+tax.
After seeing this beauty in the flesh its love at first sight so far.
The Good:
-Trigger: nice clean, light break, feels great to me, but this comes from someone used to the mile long creep on mosins and Ishapore SMLEs :lol:
-Finish: The nickel finish looks bangin' on this rifle (forgive the slang)
-Weight: Light? No, but I like my rifles with some heft so it feels like I'm not shooting a toy, specs say around 7 lbs so plan on using a sling while on a long haul
-Stock: The Brazilian mystery wood which I think someone on here pegged as rubberwood has a nice grain pattern, and has a nice rubber recoil pad to boot, although I will admit the width at the end is just a little to wide for my taste but its not bad; Note: I'm not praising the finish on the wood at all
-Rossi was nice enough to include a nice rail for optics
-Sights: the iron sights are fiber optic front and rear and easily adjusted on the rear
-Price: $190 for this rifle is pretty hard to argue with considering the quality seems quite nice and MSRP was $300+, unfortunately I doubt everyone can find one this cheap outside of GunBroker, but I'm sure gun stores that have any will lower prices just to get rid of the older stock

The Bad:
-The Stock: The notorious water-based Rossi finish was messed up before I even got it, looks like water spots, but I guess the bubblewrap had something to do with it. Looks like there may be a stock refinishing post under DIY Gunsmithing here soon
-Sling mounts: I like slings on my rifles, but all of my slings have quick-connects and aren't for the factory sling loops on the Wizard, and I want my bipod too. To fix this I bent/pried the loops out with the claw end of a hammer and drilled through the holes with a bit slightly larger than the holes; problem solved
-The opening lever: I am having trouble with the lever getting stuck occasionally and so the action is stuck closed, takes a bit of fiddling around to get it unstuck. Anyone know a cause or fix?

My future for it so far are just a .44 mag barrel if I can get one, and most likely a stock refinish.

So what do I think so far? I'm falling for it and I haven't gone to the range yet. Hopefully that won't change after I do go :| I honestly didn't know what to expect with this rifle, I had no idea it was gonna be a nickel finish until I opened the box since my local gun store had no details other than caliber after they ordered it through a distributor for me, but for now this Brazilian beauty is stealing my heart. Here she is cleaned and gussied up with some extra goodies:
+of Just for a side note, the Caldwell bipod and Bushnell Trophy RDS on my Wizard can't come recommended enough from me, great products for the price
Range trip and updates to come!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: The Wonderful(?) Wizard of Brazil

Post by akuser47 »

Great report keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The rifle looks great, less the wood finish, but from experience I can say that it will look very good with once you finish it. I used Tru-Oil on mine.

It might be a tough search for a nickle 44 Mag barrel but hey, a two tone finish might not be bad looking either.

As far as the stiff break you are experiencing, it might just need to be operated a bit as it has been packed up for awhile.

Glad to see a Wizard shooter participating!
Michael
PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

I didn't even think they actually made ant replacement barrels in nickel at all so from the get go I was expecting a two-tone. The stock is probably going to get a multitude of layers of boiled linseed oil rubbed on, rather use some up than buy a bottle of Tru-oil for $8, plus I'm a sucker for it.

And glad to be participating, not many Wizards or single-shooters in general, guess the 92's get all the attention.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Nice long barrel too. Looks like a good shooter.!
jdb

Post by jdb »

PossumJr wrote:...And glad to be participating, not many Wizards or single-shooters in general, guess the 92's get all the attention.
LOL...yep, that's what happens when ya get a bunch of ol' rednecks together on one forum. ;~)

GREAT write up Possum. I'll be interested to hear how it shoots.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
A pause for the COZ

Post by A pause for the COZ »

Hey great write up.
I happen to have a Wizard in 45-70 coming next week.
Figured it would be a good way to get my feet wet loading and shooting 45-70.
Ordered it early last fall from Bud's. They were offering a pretty good price with 180 day LayAWay.
I ordered the Wizard thinking barrel swaps would be awesome... Maybe even find a barrel blank to get one chambered to 327 mag.
Then I found out it was discontinued :-( Bummer... explains the fire sale price from Bud's.

Cant wait to shoot it. Purchased three boxes of 45-70 ammo to try and also to save the brass.
That cost more than the gun.
penser7777

Post by penser7777 »

I have a Wizard chambered in 22-250. I have a problem with it getting "stuck" after firing a round. It appears to be something loose in the safety. When I wiggle the safety lever a little, it opens right up. Is this the problem you are having?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Take a look at the Similar Topics below, see "Wizard 101". Make sure the extractor and extractor lever is clean, lubed, and moving freely.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

jdb wrote:
PossumJr wrote:...And glad to be participating, not many Wizards or single-shooters in general, guess the 92's get all the attention.
LOL...yep, that's what happens when ya get a bunch of ol' rednecks together on one forum. ;~)

GREAT write up Possum. I'll be interested to hear how it shoots.
HEY! I LIKES my cowboy assault weapons!