firearm for a new shooter/hunter

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

firearm for a new shooter/hunter

Post by Moon Tree »

I have a friend, a mid-50's lady, who has just bought a farm and is interested in shooting and hunting. Species she's mentioned are turkey and deer. What you all think of suggesting one of Rossi's matched pair. My thoughts would be the 20 gauge/243 combo. She's a smallish woman, but pretty tough. Still, a 12 gauge might be a little much.

Of course the 20 gauge with a modified chock would not be a preferred turkey gun. But, with a tube choke added it would be plenty effective to 20/25 yards, probably even out to 30 yards.

I just don't know the "quality" of the firearm to suggest it.

My next thought would be a Remington 870, 20 gauge maybe with a slug barrel,

Any other suggestions for a one gun, multi-purpose firearm would be welcome.

NOTE: in Kentucky, only shotguns can be used to hunt turkey.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: firearm for a new shooter/hunter

Post by mr surveyor »

if it's "any brand goes", and she is a "smallish woman" (or an older guy like me with limited shoulder mobility), I would suggest looking at the Mossberg 500 "Bantam" in 20 ga. Fairly inexpensive, well made, and I believe several barrels are available. The last 4 dove seasons I've found the little Bantam with 22" barrel has been a blast to hunt with, and it comes with Improved Cylinder, Modified and Full choke tubes, as well as drilled and tapped for scope mount.

just another to add to the confusion :)

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My experience and that of others here is that the Rossi Single Shots (the rifle) can be a bit problematic or at least require a bit of tuning. I would say that about any brand of the basic single shot rifles.

I thing she would be miles ahead with the Mossberg 500 and one of the many entry level bolt actions to include the Mossberg offering.
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Thanks guys for your input. I've never been a fan of Mossberg, personally. But, I do have several friends who have them and love them.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

I'd give two thumbs up to a 20ga. My current one is my Dad's Rem Sportsman, great all around
shotgun for most game.
Might not reach out there like a 12ga but it will do the job and with a polychoke it can be tightened
down to match the hunt.
Only Mossberg I can speak of is a 12ga pump my g.son bought, think it was a Maverick, low end as
I recall. He could sure bust clays with it but it got finicky when going for doubles and wouldn't feed
that second cartridge smoothly. He ended up selling it.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I've had both ... and there's a huge difference between the Maverick and the "original" 500 series ;)

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

My Mossberg 500 I currently have 12 gauge field model came with 24" ribbed 3 choke barrel and a rifled slug barrel with rifle sights on it. I also bought the 18.5" barrel cylinder bore for home defense. My dad has a 500 in 20 gauge and .410 both work superb.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Youth 100 ATRs sell for about $310 here (includes the scope and rings) and they seem to be the same online.

When I was 15, I bought myself a Mossberg 800 chambered in 308 Win and my dad bought me a 500 12 gauge. I shot the 308 for 20 years but someone talked me out of it. I've always regretted selling it as I had quite a track record of deer and hogs with it. Old 800s seem to sell for as much as the ATRs do. The 500 is still my one and only shotgun. I've killed thousands of game birds with it.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

RD, that is a nice looking rifle. Something like that in .243 would be perfect for my frail built 16 yr old grand daughter. And, .243 may be too much.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Lots of great information. Keep it coming guys. Most of my experience with Mossberg, via friends who have own them, were probably of the "economical" versions. To be honest, I never really gave it any thought that Mossberg made an economical version and a high end version of their shotguns. While I do know the Remington 870 Express is no where near the quality of an 870 Wingmaster.

Mr Surveyor, I think a .243 is a great deer gun. I love my Savage 243. It's a tack driver. I've taken 25 or so deer with it in the last 13 years. Where I hunt there's a 2 deer limit and plus bonus doe tag. And, I muzzleloader hunt and bow hunt. The recoil is light to moderate, about a little as one can get for a deer rifle. Except possibly a M92 in a .357. But, since I just got my Rossi in Feb. I have no practical field experience to offer you on it's effectiveness. But, through my 'redneck" testing of my hunting rounds, I'm betting if a deer ambles within 50 yards of me come Nov., there will be backstraps on the grill.