FTF

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Zippidydoodah

Re: FTF

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Ranch dog covered misfires on single shots about a year ago. Sometimes the. Hammer soft strikes the firing pin. He outlines how you can check the firing pin depth and how to file the hammer to increase depth. Also , if you use the hammer extension, may cause light strikes. Remove and see if it helps.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I think the single shots use a coil-type mainspring. You can increase the tension on the mainspring (to increase hammer force) by putting several "shim washers" behind the spring. That is assuming you had enough firing pin extension. Did you take the hammer extension off, and has that helped?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:I think the single shots use a coil-type mainspring. You can increase the tension on the mainspring (to increase hammer force) by putting several "shim washers" behind the spring.
I'm trying to picture this, would you have a picture?
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

No, but bought a spare receiver and will attempt to take it apart and see how hard it would be to add some spacers to the main spring. Adding spacers should increase the spring tension and hammer force. Degreasing the heavier grease and substituting light oil should help also. If the spring can't be shimmed maybe a heavier weight spring be substituted.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yep it does I use to use an old steel punch to make tiny little discs from electrical conduit boxes. Then slot them and slide them into place once function is verified. You carefully pinch the slot so as to be a pac man biting down. Now all this depends on the mainspring housing. Most I've seen or worked on can be shimmed like this. Obviously different mainspring need different sizes discs to be cut. This is where steel punches come in different sizes. This is how I have done mine. Those guns are traded and sold off or I would post som pics for you rd.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay makes sense!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The hard part with shimming amain spring is their need for the housing to slide inside the spring. It takes time and patience to shim and have it work correctly. Sorry I dont know the terminalogy Im a billhilly :mrgreen: I was just hoping to explain what Ive done. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I previously said you might be able to shim the trigger spring but had gotten my words wrong without going back and looking at Michaels disassembly instructions on the trigger assembly.
You get more hammer force by compressing the hammer spring#29 farther, so since this a wire spring we could take a small nut and put a groove in the nut flat to hold the spring compressed more creating more hammer tension and hammer strike force. It will probably make the trigger pull higher but seems to be a reasonably easy fix.
TGC

Post by TGC »

akuser47 wrote:Out of the box thinking if you reload maybe use small pistol primers. Softer cups just watch for push back and see if this makes it a winner.
I've tried this with ar15 but military spec pin punches through Small pistol primer. Only telling what I've done. Not to do. Do under your own risk. I did it because of lack of srp.
If I was going to do this at my own risk, I would use small pistol magnum primers,,,, I think.