Does Bullet, Pellet or Primer Brand matter in a Muzzleloader

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
saltydog13

Re: Does Bullet, Pellet or Primer Brand matter in a Muzzlelo

Post by saltydog13 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
saltydog13 wrote:I have just purchased the Rossi combo (Wizard?) of 12ga slug/.50 cal muzzle loader rifle.
I suspect the rifle to be a Single Shot Combo, not Wizard. As far as I'm aware Rossi never got around to offering either barrel for the Wizard. At least that was why I bought the Wizard, I wanted a slug barrel. It would have saved me a long way around had I done my research and figured out they were never offered.
I guess I'll have to let you know when I get the rifle. By the picture in the ad when I purchased it, it looked like a Wizard, wooden stock and all. I also have a Wizard in. 223/5.56. That's the reason I mentioned it. I thought I remembered seeing both the the BP and the slug barrels as selections for the Wizard in their catalog. I'll try to look for it. I think I have it somewhere. And heck, the price for this combo was less than the price for one barrel. I guess they are liquidating the line.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That price is great keep us posted. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
saltydog13

Post by saltydog13 »

saltydog13 wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:
saltydog13 wrote:I have just purchased the Rossi combo (Wizard?) of 12ga slug/.50 cal muzzle loader rifle.
I suspect the rifle to be a Single Shot Combo, not Wizard. As far as I'm aware Rossi never got around to offering either barrel for the Wizard. At least that was why I bought the Wizard, I wanted a slug barrel. It would have saved me a long way around had I done my research and figured out they were never offered.
I guess I'll have to let you know when I get the rifle. By the picture in the ad when I purchased it, it looked like a Wizard, wooden stock and all. I also have a Wizard in. 223/5.56. That's the reason I mentioned it. I thought I remembered seeing both the the BP and the slug barrels as selections for the Wizard in their catalog. I'll try to look for it. I think I have it somewhere. And heck, the price for this combo was less than the price for one barrel. I guess they are liquidating the line.

@RD (and anyone else interested)...I found my 2012 Rossi catalog and in it, under the Wizard category, it shows all the available barrels for the Wizard. Among them is a 20ga and a 12ga slug barrel listed separately from the regular 20 & 12 gauge ones. Also, .45 & .50 caliber BP barrels were listed among a whole bunch of other type of barrels. What a selection of calibers!

I don't know how to upload these kind of things, but you can see the whole catalog if you Yahoo/Google it. Just write, Rossi 2012 catalog. It's weird how that whole Wizard/Combo/Matched Pair etc line has changed. I guess it was not a big seller for them/or not marketed correctly. I guess they are too slow for the "zombie apocalypse."
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap from the get go the ML and slug barrels have been cataloged but I've never seen one for sale. Same with 357 Mag and 454 Casull.

The CDNN offering is a Single Shot Combo, different than the Wizard.
Michael
saltydog13

Post by saltydog13 »

Yeah, you are right. When I first purchased it, I didn't realize that they were selling "Single Shot Combos" now. I just saw the cheap price, and that it had a wooden stock and assumed that it was Wizard "new old stock". Don't get me wrong, I don't regret the purchase, but after a second look, I did notice the stock style was different. I wonder if the barrels are interchangeable?

BTW, I did see a slugged 12 gauge Wizard barrel for sale/auction on eBay once. At that time I wasn't interested in purchasing one, so I didn't pursue it. I guess I'm glad I didn't anyway. Keep an eye on eBay. I've noticed that barrels for Wizards are popping up once in a while. A lot of .270 and 22-250's.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

saltydog13 wrote:Yeah, you are right. When I first purchased it, I didn't realize that they were selling "Single Shot Combos" now. I just saw the cheap price, and that it had a wooden stock and assumed that it was Wizard "new old stock". Don't get me wrong, I don't regret the purchase, but after a second look, I did notice the stock style was different. I wonder if the barrels are interchangeable?
Yeah no need to regret the purchase. I bought the same combo four months ago from the same source and it cost me $50 more :!: I think you got a very good deal. I would rather have the Single Shot than the Wizard now that I own both. The "why"; the Single Shot is still in production, the Wizard not, and I see more Single Shot parts for sale on ebay should you ever need them.
saltydog13 wrote:BTW, I did see a slugged 12 gauge Wizard barrel for sale/auction on eBay once. At that time I wasn't interested in purchasing one, so I didn't pursue it. I guess I'm glad I didn't anyway. Keep an eye on eBay. I've noticed that barrels for Wizards are popping up once in a while. A lot of .270 and 22-250's.
You need to be real careful with the listing on ebay. The Single Shot and Wizard barrels are not interchangeable as the lug on the breech end of the barrel is different. Once you have both in hand it is very easy to see the difference. I've seen many Single Shot barrels labeled "Wizard" on eBay.
Michael
saltydog13

Post by saltydog13 »

Thanks for the tip about the Wizard barrels on eBay.

Appears CDNN bought the remaining stock of the Single Shot Combos and now wants to get rid of them. I tell you, even at the price you paid, I think it's still a great deal.

I haven't been able to pick up mine yet from the FFL dealer due to my working hours, however, I should have it by this upcoming weekend, I hope.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

saltydog13 wrote:I haven't been able to pick up mine yet from the FFL dealer due to my working hours, however, I should have it by this upcoming weekend, I hope.
On the way to pick up the Combo, you will want to stop and buy some anti-seize, the thick stuff that looks like thick liquid metal. The breech plug needs a good coating on the threads at all times or you will not be able to get it out.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
saltydog13 wrote:I haven't been able to pick up mine yet from the FFL dealer due to my working hours, however, I should have it by this upcoming weekend, I hope.
On the way to pick up the Combo, you will want to stop and buy some anti-seize, the thick stuff that looks like thick liquid metal. The breech plug needs a good coating on the threads at all times or you will not be able to get it out.
good catch I should have mentioned this as a tip +1
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
saltydog13

Post by saltydog13 »

Hey Guys!
Just a small update. I picked up the Combo with the muzzleloader. WOW! It looked mighty fine! It is the Single shot, and not the Wizard as I had originally thought. Anyway, I have to clean it up. It is really covered in this grease all over. Almost looks like Cosmoline. My 92 wasn't this gunky when I bought it. Well at least there was no rust. BTW AK, I bought one of those beginner kits put together by CVA which included the anti-seize cream. It even came with sabot bullets. Have to buy the propellant yet.

As I said, will keep you posted. Thanks again.