Does Bullet, Pellet or Primer Brand matter in a Muzzleloader

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does Bullet, Pellet or Primer Brand matter in a Muzzlelo

Post by Ranch Dog »

saltydog13 wrote:Hey Guys!
Just a small update. I picked up the Combo with the muzzleloader. WOW! It looked mighty fine! It is the Single shot, and not the Wizard as I had originally thought. Anyway, I have to clean it up. It is really covered in this grease all over. Almost looks like Cosmoline. My 92 wasn't this gunky when I bought it. Well at least there was no rust. BTW AK, I bought one of those beginner kits put together by CVA which included the anti-seize cream. It even came with sabot bullets. Have to buy the propellant yet.

As I said, will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Good to hear!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

+1 keep us us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Your header question does bullet type matter in a muzzleloader, etc ?
Yes, bullet type round ball was used in the slow twist barrels one in 48" or so. The mini balls also favored the slower twist barrels. The faster twist used in the more modern designs are more suited to the sabot loads which reach higher speeds. Primer brand should not matter as well as they function in your gun. If the specified brand is not available, I would rather try what is available than going without. Usually there is more experimentation available in black powder weapons as far as powder charges, brand, type of bullet, primer , etc than in centerfire loading. You will find what your particular gun likes by experimenting. Lyman makes a good black powder manual and they show lots of different powder and bullet combinations.
Good shooting!