Does Bullet, Pellet or Primer Brand matter in a Muzzleloader

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
saltydog13

Post by saltydog13 »

Hello Everybody,
This is my first post. Obviously, I'm a newbie to this forum, and since I have enjoyed what I've read so far, I decided to join. Thus, I hope with your expertise, you can answer a couple of questions.

I have just purchased the Rossi combo (Wizard?) of 12ga slug/.50 cal muzzle loader rifle. Actually, I haven't received it yet. It's on its way to the FFL dealer. Since I am new to muzzle loading, I did some reading and eventually came across the manual for the rifle. The manual recommends some pretty specific name brand bullets , pellets etc. I asked an acquaintance that has done some black powder shooting, and he stated that those are recommendations only. That you can use them as guidelines, but that you do not have to use the name brand bullets etc. that they specify. I suppose my question is--is that true? Can you use other name brand bullets, pellets, etc, as long as it's within the parameters/recommendations of the manufacturer? It would seem weird that a rifle or gun is strictly ammo brand specific. I am aware that some center fire or rim fire firearms shoot better with certain brands of ammo than others, and some will gobble whatever is put in it, however, I was not sure if that is the case with muzzle loaders. Pardon my ignorance.

Anyway, your expertise and help in this would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Does Bullet, Pellet or Primer Brand matter in a Muzzlelo

Post by akuser47 »

What they recomend is only because of R&D that has been done it does not mean the recomendations are your only options as there are many options out there stick with the correct caliber bullets and never exceed the max load information for the barrel. Test the bullets before you buy a whole bunch of them. You just need to find the one that does what you like. Primer caps I have no real preferance other than I like CCI caps. I am not a muzzleoader per say I grew up around them and shot alot and played alot with them. RD may have more specific info for you he has posted here. and can probaly add more for you here
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1652
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
saltydog13

Post by saltydog13 »

Thanks for your quick reply AK. I kinda thought along those lines, but wasn't sure. This is my first sojourn into muzzleloading, and obviously wasn't sure. I came across what I think was this good deal at CDNN, for $149.99 brand new, I guess old stock, and thought that it would be an economical way of trying BP shooting. The slug gun was a bonus as far as I'm concerned. I have other Rossi firearms and have had good luck with them.

Again thanks for the reply. I will look at RD' s link as well.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

They can be alot of fun for sure keep us posted to your results.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings and welcome to the forum saltydog13! My main interest in the same rifle is the slug gun side but as my posts indicate, I did spend some time looking into muzzleloading. As AK noted, the Rossi manual and barrel stamp is a recommendation and a very safe place to start until you gain experience with MLing.
Michael
Flynnismydog

Post by Flynnismydog »

Welcome to the forum.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yes welcome can't believe I missed that lol. keep us posted +corn
saltydog13

Post by saltydog13 »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the welcome!

I guess I'll try a few different brands of bullets and see which ones will work well for me.

@RD--Great post on the muzzle loader. Learned a lot. Will look for the slug gun post next. Thanks.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

saltydog13 wrote:Thanks guys. I appreciate the welcome!

I guess I'll try a few different brands of bullets and see which ones will work well for me.

@RD--Great post on the muzzle loader. Learned a lot. Will look for the slug gun post next. Thanks.
I gave up on it pretty quick but doesn't mean I won't return to it. I'm a lot like a cow dog, I fiddle with something for a few minutes and if there is no response, I move on! I cleaned up real good and decided to do it exactly like the book says, sabots and pellets when I return. I'm going to study the sabots real close before I get started. I bought a bunch of Hornady that were on clearance on MidwayUSA, may be that should tell me something?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

saltydog13 wrote:I have just purchased the Rossi combo (Wizard?) of 12ga slug/.50 cal muzzle loader rifle.
I suspect the rifle to be a Single Shot Combo, not Wizard. As far as I'm aware Rossi never got around to offering either barrel for the Wizard. At least that was why I bought the Wizard, I wanted a slug barrel. It would have saved me a long way around had I done my research and figured out they were never offered.
Michael