Temp ?

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
sherman

Temp ?

Post by sherman »

I went to the range on Saturday the temp was in the lower 20"s Cold for South Carolina my Rossi single shot 223 would not group at all. Each shot was all over the target. Just two weeks befor when the temp was in the 50's I was shooting a 2" group at 100 yrs. any one have any ideas ? thank's sherman
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Temp ?

Post by akuser47 »

In cold temps it is generally ourselves that are the problem the shivering bulky clotheing, shooting with gloves affects accuracy when not practiced with these garmets and shooting without them and haveing numb fingers or reduced feeling in your trigger finger will also cause accuracy issues. just my experience. Maybe not an issue in your case. But muscle memory is important in shooting accurate thus dry firing practice for long range shooters. To keep themselves tuned and in the pocket. When cold it is a whole new game to learn some adapt better then others. I am not able to shoot as well as when I was a child in cold. It takes practice.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Yep I agree with AK. When I was into bow hunting there was a big difference between shooting in the summer in a t-shirt and during the hunting season all bundled up....
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

sherman wrote:I went to the range on Saturday the temp was in the lower 20"s Cold for South Carolina my Rossi single shot 223 would not group at all. Each shot was all over the target. Just two weeks befor when the temp was in the 50's I was shooting a 2" group at 100 yrs. any one have any ideas ? thank's sherman

factory ammo or reloads?

if reloads, what powder and primer? lots of powders are known to be a bit tempermental with big temperature swings (so I've heard).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Cold weather has been rumered to cause volocity loss maybe your issue. is it mostly shooting lower
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!