Light Primer Strikes

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Light Primer Strikes

Post by Ranch Dog »

This was mentioned in several topics but nothing in a stand alone topic. My R762MB experiences light primer strikes with CCI primers. I detailed some work that I did to the hammer to get the full forward movement of the firing pin in another topic (which I will try to find and add here) but the this rifle continues to experience the light strikes with the CCI, enough that I'm not willing to use the CCI primers or the rifle with them while hunting.

I need to take the rifle apart to replace the trigger guard and I think I will find a different Firing Pin Spring (17). I have a spare that was part of the lot I bought from a rifle that had been parted out and, honestly, it looks like it came out of a "give away" ball point pen. I will find a replacement at my country hardware store.

All the factory ammo has been fine, it is just the CCI primers which are the issue. I know they have a reputation for being tough but I have never had a rifle or a handgun not ignite them. That includes all my other Rossi's even the Wizard that has the same parts schematic and numbers as the Single Shot.

I want to shoot my cast bullets so what I have been doing is pulling the Wolf ammo I've been given, I don't want to shoot the steel core ammo in my rifles, and recharging it with my choice of powder and a cast bullet!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Light Primer Strikes

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:I detailed some work that I did to the hammer to get the full forward movement of the firing pin in another topic (which I will try to find and add here) but the this rifle continues to experience the light strikes with the CCI, enough that I'm not willing to use the CCI primers or the rifle with them while hunting.
The topic was: Hammer Ext.

Sherman, flat filing the hammer nose worked like a champ. I went ahead and filed it down so that full travel was available and the firing pin now protrudes .042" with the trigger pulled and the hammer held forward. This is identical to simply pushing the transfer bar against it's limit. I did the filing on the gun without it being disassembled.

It shot my reloads without issue. I went ahead and checked it with some factory ammo as well; PPU 123-grain round nose soft points, Wolf, and Soviet battle ammo. No pierced primers or soft primer strikes.

Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

nice in for the info +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

RD, have you asked Rossi what they plan to do for all us users that have these guns. Can they send us the stronger springs and let us install them locally. I don't want to send several guns in at my expense.
It should be a warranty situation.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:RD, have you asked Rossi what they plan to do for all us users that have these guns. Can they send us the stronger springs and let us install them locally. I don't want to send several guns in at my expense.
It should be a warranty situation.
I haven't talked with Rossi about it at all as all the parts are restricted which means that the only way to get it fixed is to send it in... that isn't going to happen. I also see them simply putting the same parts back on it which isn't going to cure the issue so I will take care of it myself.
Michael