Wizard 101

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wizard 101

Post by Ranch Dog »

Not many Wizard shooters here yet, may be there never will be, but I thought I would offer some advice from my lessons learned at the shooting bench. The rifles come like any other Rossi, coated with packing grease but they are so simple they end up with rounds out the barrel pretty quick. Same with new barrels, not much to look at or clean or so I thought.

After receiving a 44 Mag barrel from RossiUSA, I was hot to trot to shoot it. Once at the bench with the new barrel I started to experience a couple of issues; the safety was having a tough time moving between the two positions and the rifle was experiencing some vertical stringing.

I pulled the rifle apart at the bench and looked closely at what few parts there are. What I found was that the channeled recess in the base of the barrel was full of "packing crud" that I had not cleaned out. This is the channel that contains the extractor lever and spring. Once cleaned and oiled, it appeared that the lever was in a bind. I thought about removing the pin and parts to polish the channel but decided to pack the channel with 320 grit valve grinding compound and then work the lever back and forth manually to see if that would mate the parts to one another.

Manipulating the extractor and extractor lever is tough but using a flat blade screw driver will help. This first photo shows how to "cock" the extractor. Place the blade of the screw driver between the part and your finger and apply the pressure. You will hear the "click" of the extractor lever moving into position. You will notice that the channel is full of polishing compound.

This photo shows the problem that I encountered and which I hoped to correct. The lever should be flush in the channel but the aft end of the lever is slightly exposed. This is directly related to the vertical stringing I was seeing down range. As the action was closed, it was locking but was not achieving a complete seat. In the photo below the slight angle of the lever at rest is best observed against the blade of the screw driver.

I started to work the extractor lever back and forth by "cocking" the extractor as I did in the first photo and then applying pressure to the aft end of the extractor lever. Notice in the photo below that the extractor is cocked.

Pushing against the extractor lever has released the extractor in the photo below.

I worked the extractor/extractor lever back and forth an arbitrary 25 times while keeping it full of polishing compound and then flushed it, lubed it, and put the rifle back together. That was all it took! The safety now functioned properly and the vertical shot stringing down range was ELIMINATED![hr][/hr][hr][/hr]The Forearm
I've also invested some ammo looking at the effects of forearm tension and the use of an o-ring that is commonly place between the forearm and barrel of the H&Rs. My advice, against my three barrels, is don't bother. In every case of messing with forearm fit, the accuracy downrange (tested at 100 & 200 yards) is always between with nothing between the two parts. Tighten the forearm attachment screw down to the stop, Rossi has done their homework on the fit. I am concerned with wear of the forearm wood against the metal washer that is between the forearm and screw with the hammering of the heavy recoil of my 444 Marlin and 45-70 Govt barrels. I placed a thin rubber washer between the washer and wood with no affect on the accuracy.[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]The Buttstock
If you want to induce horizontal shot stringing, reduce the tension on the Stock/Receiver Screw. Anything less than solid tight immediately induces stringing.

As a note I did not get a Wizard specific Owner's Manual with my rifle but a Single Shot manual instead. The stock/receiver screw (allen head screw) on the Wizard is accessed through the pistol grip cap versus the butt stock of the Single Shot series (1/2" hex head bolt).
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Wizard 101

Post by pricedo »

I might invest in some Rossi single shots with snap-in multi-barrel/caliber/gauge capability if and only if I see proof-positive that the outrageous & totally unacceptable restricted parts policy is passe........not that single shot b/o action guns have many moving parts to replace (except maybe the owner ;) ). :mrgreen:

I was for many years interested in buying a couple of interchangeable single shot platforms (back ends) with several barrels but I refused then and still refuse to pay the ridiculous T/C prices and NEF/H&R never offered multi-barrel interchangeability.

I tried the "O" ring method with my NEF single shot b/o rifles and the guns were more accurate without the "O" ring.........the 45-70 with a honed trigger (the NEFs Achilles Heel......easily fixed :D ) was giving me ragged-hole 3-shot groups @ 50 yards with the Big Green 405 grain factory ammo off sandbags over the factory irons.

Also, I never tried it but I'm conjecturing from a common sense perspective that pivot point support inherent in using an "O" ring would not be sufficiently robust if you were firing heavily loaded 45-70 ammo. The recoil forces would shear that pin right off (like the magazine retention pin in the "old" Rossi 92/454 design) and transfer undue stress to other parts of the rifle. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Good information RD. After I get a 92 in 357 mag I will be looking at the "W".
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My pre-buy advice, for either of you or anyone for that matter,pricedo and Tuco, is to be happy with the current selections of rifles offered and the additional barrels listed on RossiUSA. I'm not sure any others will be coming.
Michael
morayman

Post by morayman »

Thanks a bunch RD,new Wizard owners like me appriciate your in depth information that is so valuable to us.I'm new to break open rifles and the 45-70 calibre so anything that can help me even if it seems "old stuff" to some of the more experienced shooters is new to shooters like me.Keep it comming,I'm soaking it all up! morayman......
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized
nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police
more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:My pre-buy advice, for either of you or anyone for that matter,pricedo and Tuco, is to be happy with the current selections of rifles offered and the additional barrels listed on RossiUSA. I'm not sure any others will be coming.
As soon as the replacement parts Berlin Wall comes down for certain I plan on purchasing a Wizard back end (or 2) and as many snap-in barrels as I can get my hands on.
As Ronald Regan would say, "Mr. Kressner, tear down this wall !" :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
morayman

Post by morayman »

Pricedo,not trying to tell you what to do by any means ,so don't take this wrong ,but if it were me I'd go ahead and buy a wizard in your favorite calibre and be enjoying it rather than worry about parts you may never need.These rifles aren't that expensive and your already set up to reload for them so what the heck,enjoy one now.morayman........
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Well I think I am going to get one in 22-250 in a month or two. One of my brothers used to have a 22-250 so I have about 200 cases and the dies since no one in the family has one any more. Should make a nice winter project.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

morayman wrote:Pricedo,not trying to tell you what to do by any means ,so don't take this wrong ,but if it were me I'd go ahead and buy a wizard in your favorite calibre and be enjoying it rather than worry about parts you may never need.These rifles aren't that expensive and your already set up to reload for them so what the heck,enjoy one now.morayman........
No problem whatsoever. :D
Why would I take offense to a difference of opinion?
But I'm both curious & puzzled. :?:
It's you guys who are saying you need access to parts........ I don't need any Rossi parts at this point in time...........my Amadeo 92s & my RG 30-30 just "keep on ticking".
Nothing will change with Braztech's parts policy unless they perceive that it's affecting sales.
I can't see how rewarding Braztech by buying their products for DISing its customer base by making them pay round trip whole gun shipping costs for minor parts like springs and screws is going to resolve this situation in a satisfactory manner.
I'd like a Wizard but I don't need one..........I'll wait to buy when I'm sure I can get parts if I need them without paying $50 shipping costs for a spring or a screw.
If that makes me seem unreasonable then I'll wear that mantle.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
morayman

Post by morayman »

Pricedo I understand your point and it's well taken.People that own Taurus and Rossi are very upset at the stupid parts policy,you can see dissent in other forums about it.All I keep hearing is to "be patient ,they're working on it" but in reality they need to impliment a change and do it soon or they're going to be shooting themselves in the foot.I own several pistols in the line and am fortunate that every one of them works perfectly and none have had to go back or needed parts,and I'm glad they don't with this policy.Maybe they'll wisen up before they get to the point they've tanked the company,lets hope so.morayman..............
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.