RD's Muzzleloader

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RD's Muzzleloader

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:RD, it seems like the only benefit on your sabots loAds would be no leading or lla clean out . It may not be as accurate as the real bullets. Have you tried the lighter 240 grain lead saboteur bullets? They should give about 1800+ fps which may give flatter shooting to 150 yards or so. I haven't had to shoot that far in my neck of Ala woods, but also less recoil for young shooters.
I didn't try my 240-grain 44 bullet, I don't think it would be even with the sabot. I also didn't have any problems with cleaning the lead (no leading) or Alox once I understood that I need to run one damp and one dry patch between shots. All my shots will be within 70 yards. I'm more interested in the heavier bullets.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I'm with you. I have the real mold + several Lyman and other 50 cal molds to use. I also have one soup can 50 cal that is 100% meplat. Should be good for 50 yards.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I haven't even started on the "slug" side of this Matched Pair other than to cast both the Lee 7/8 & 1 ounce slugs. I have the rest of the components on hand as well.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, well. Shot my ML about 50 times today with both the REAL and sabotted bullets. Just not shooting tight enough to take it deer hunting. Two days left. Will work on it again in the morning.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

RD, what size groups were you getting? All with 100 grains of powder? Maybe try loose powder(less) and see if that improves group?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:RD, what size groups were you getting? All with 100 grains of powder? Maybe try loose powder(less) and see if that improves group?
6" three-shot groups at 50-yards. That was using 100-grains (2, 50-grain pellets) of 777 with the REAL 250 & 320-grain bullets and my TLC432 240, 275, & 300-grain bullets sized to .430 with a Hornady sabot. I might try my TLC432-350-RF again to see if I can get it to shoot and if not, I'm going to throw in the towel and drop the muzzleloading idea.

Overall and as I new guy, I do not like the mess BP makes. After shooting today I figured the clockworks of the action had to be coated with residue so I took the rifle apart and flushed it under very hot water in the garage sink. It ran unbelievably black. I blew it out with compressed air and then filled it with Birchwood Casey's Barricade and blew it out. Just seems like a lot of work between shots and at the end of the day.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Black powder takes a little more finesse to find the sweet spot with the rest of the components. That is why I WAS SURPRISED Rossi only wanted pellets rather than loose powder. It may take some experimentation to nail the accuracy but that is BP. Primitive ! Don't give up.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Shot it again this morning. No luck. Going to clean it up and get rid of it.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I haven't shot mine yet , but I will try three or 4 types of bullets and loose powder. I also have some balls I can patch just to see what accuracy they will give. I don't remember what the rifle twist was but should be about 1 in 28" for sabot or real bullets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:I don't remember what the rifle twist was but should be about 1 in 28" for sabot or real bullets.
The muzzleloader is 1:24 and the slug gun barrel 1:35.

The muzzleloading end of the combo rifle isn't really my thing and I didn't think it would be. My interest was in the slug barrel but in that they came together, I thought I would give it a try. I'm sure it not working out is me limiting it to one powder though I did try a bunch of projectiles.
Michael