Single Shots Explained

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Single Shots Explained

Post by Ranch Dog »

My interest in the Single Shot rifles started with the Wizard and I have slowly been working my way into the actual Single Shot series. The catalog material seems quite confusing as it is difficult to determine exactly what is available as most of the offerings involve selections with multiple barrels. I decided to dig a bit deeper to understand this model series and how it fits in the Rossi lineup.

Whenever I start digging, it ends up a journey down the rabbit hole. This material is offered, from my notes, to others trying to understand the Rossi Single Shot series. This information, based on my interests only looks at centerfire Single Shots.[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]My original questions really boiled down to:
  1. What if I just want a single centerfire rifle, what cartridge offerings are available?
  2. What are the stock choices?
  3. Can additional barrels be purchased?
What if I just want a single centerfire rifle, what cartridge offerings are available?
For 2013, only three cartridges are offered: 223 Rem, 243 Win, and 44 Mag. These rifles are offered in some different configurations; standard, youth, and heavy barrel.
What are the stock choices?
Only black synthetic stocks are offered. If you are a lover of wood stocks, that is one of several important features that sets the Wizard apart from the Single Shots.
Can additional barrels be purchased?
No. Rossi does not have an additional barrel program. A combination of barrels is available in "Matched Pair", "Trifecta", and "Pick 4" offering. These "combos" are cataloged typically include a rimfire or centerfire barrel matched with a shotgun barrel. A 17 or 22 caliber rimfire is no longer offered as a single, stand alone rifle. Swapping barrels is now the bailiwick of the Rossi Wizard.[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]Okay, but I know I've seen Single Shot rifles offered in different cartridges other than those listed and I've seen them with wood stocks! What gives?

The answer to the first point is that they have come and gone, here is a list of the cartridges as sold in individual rifles as I've been able to determine. Keep in mind that 2008 is when Braztech purchased Amadeo Rossi SA.
  • 2008 - 2010
    • 17 HMR
    • 22 LR
    • 22 Mag
    • 22-250 Rem
    • 223 Rem
    • 243 Rem
    • 270 Win
    • 308 Win
    • 30-06 Sprg
    • 7.62X39
    • 357 Mag
    • 44 Mag
    • 45 Colt
  • 2011 (Wizard introduced, Single Shot Offerings reduced)
    • 223 Rem
    • 243 Win
    • 7.62X39
    • 44 Mag
    • 45 Colt
    2012 - 2013 (Single Shot line further reduced)
    • 223 Rem
    • 243 Win
    • 44 Mag
The Braztech lineup has only been cataloged with black, synthetic stocks. No wood stocked rifles were ever cataloged. That said, a search of the Rossi web site can pull up archived images of the complete 2008 series as wood stocked rifles. These rifles, specific chamberings, is where my interest is focused. In addition, it is not unusual for any of chamberings to surface in the actual Amadeo Rossi SA rifles. The only difference between the Amadeo and the Braztech is that the latter added the hammer "child safety" lock. From what I have observed in the gun stores from actual old, new stock, is that the wood stocked Braztech rifles (identified by the roll stamp and hammer lock) is that they all have Amadeo Rossi Owner's Manuals.

Because of the timing with the Amadeo Rossi acquisition, in my mind and in my search for specific cartridge offerings in the wood stocked rifles, I've come to think of these early, non cataloged, Braztech rifles as "Legacy" Single Shots.

Overall, the "Legacy" rifles are a very good buy on the auction sites and in the stores. Most of the cartridge offerings seem to sell about 20% less, even as new in the box rifles, than the current cataloged rifles. The Amadeo Rossi rifles, from my observations, are an outstanding value often selling for 55% of the cost of the current rifles. This said, there are a couple of unicorns that do not follow these patterns. The 357 Mag and 7.62X39 rifles. These two chamberings are in very high demand and bring more than what a new rifle will.[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]There is always a "why a Rossi" and a "why not a H&R". Having owned both now, my observation is that hands down the Rossi is a better rifle. The "why" is the trigger. My observations follow those of others offer through a google search. The only reason I can see not to pursue a Rossi SS is a lack of chambering offerings and a dislike of synthetic stocks.

All this is a mute point as from my observations and reflecting on the material as I have presented it, I don't think that Braztech has ever had any intent of competing with H&R and a case could be made that the SS are being phased out. It is down to point that if you don't buy a combo gun, there isn't much to offer.[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]What about the Wizard?

With my Wizard sitting next to my SS, it is like a quarterhorse standing next to a plow horse. I never thought of my Wizard as particularly sleek until I stood my SS next to it. The difference is night and day.

Possibly, the Wizard was a move by Braztech to bring out a Single Shot that would compete with the Thompson Encore rather than the H&R products. This is a whole different subject but one that I have burrowed into just as deep. In any case, Braztech's lack of commitment to the this design, through barrel offerings, has doomed it just as well despite it being an outstanding rifle.

Let me close by answering a common questions that comes up concerning the Rossi Single Shot and Wizard.
Will a Wizard barrel fit on a Single Shot?
No. The basic design is similar but the dimensions are totally different.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Single Shots Explained

Post by pricedo »

I have 2 x NEF Handi-Rifles (308 Win, 45-70 GVT) bought long before the Remington takeover.
The guns are solid & well made with good w/m fitting (superior to a few Rossi guns I've seen since) & bluing ................there is no lawyer safety junk on them.
{NEF has recently been acquired by Remington so goodness knows what level the quality is at now}
Like any other utility level rifle (like Rossi) they are uncut diamonds.....it is assumed that compromises have been made in the manufacturing process to keep costs down.........exactly what compromises vary from brand to brand of utility level firearms.
The NEF triggers were a little gritty for sure but can be honed to be pretty good......it ain't rocket science. :D
With my NEF guns the triggers were rough......an easily fixed deficiency........ other brands of utility guns (like Rossi) might be deficient in other more important less easily fixed areas........utility guns are a crap shoot.........no quality control or hand fitting........that's why they're cheap.........you need to realize that going in to the purchase and check them out before finalizing the deal if you can.

**The NEF single shot b/o action rifles are mentioned in Buffalo Bore promotional literature specifically by name as rifles capable of handling their super-charged ammunition.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Guess I confused...... http://www.rossiusa.com/hot_items.cfm

The W’s ingenious design allows you to transfer any barrel quickly and easily. It’s like having 23 rifles and shotguns in one! The W is the year round system for every hunting and shooting application truly a gun for all seasons.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Guess I confused...... http://www.rossiusa.com/hot_items.cfm

The W’s ingenious design allows you to transfer any barrel quickly and easily. It’s like having 23 rifles and shotguns in one! The W is the year round system for every hunting and shooting application truly a gun for all seasons.
Does anybody actually own a "W" with multiple barrels who can confirm the manufacturers claim that switching barrels (calibers) is easy & seamless :?:
Are the other caliber barrels readily available on the market :?:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Guess I confused......
No need to be. The Wizard or "W" is a whole different rifle than the Single Shot series, hence; the separate forum here on the Rossi-Rifleman. Yes, you can buy additional barrels. RossiUSA actually sells them through their web store. The barrels do not need an FFL transfer. Rossi's price includes overnight shipping. Buy a barrel in the morning and FedEx rolls up the next morning and hands you the barrel.
pricedo wrote:Does anybody actually own a "W" with multiple barrels who can confirm the manufacturers claim that switching barrels (calibers) is easy & seamless :?:
Are the other caliber barrels readily available on the market :?:
Yeap, I have one with three barrels. Yes, they snap right in and are ready to go. Rossi, in general, does a poor marketing job but they have absolutely neglected this rifle. The drop and shoot barrel alone gives it only one equal, the TC Encore.

These are the rifle barrel available through the Rossi web store:
  • 22 Mag
  • 22-250 Rem
  • 223 Rem
  • 243 Win
  • 270 Win
  • 7mm-08 Rem
  • 30-06 Sprg
  • 44 Mag
I have seen rifles chambered in 22LR, 308 Win, 7.62X39, and 45-70 Govt, but I have not seen barrels for these cartridges offered. In addition, as far as I have been able to determine, barrels or rifles in 35 Whelen, 357 Mag, and 454 Casull have never been offered. Same can be said for the 12 and 20 Gauge Rifled Slug Barrels/Guns and the .45 & .50 Caliber Muzzleloaders.

They also offer shotgun barrels in:
  • 12 Gauge
  • 20 Gauge
  • 28 Gauge
  • 410 Bore
As of late, I have been shooting my Wizard quite a bit and will be hunting with it this year. I have a considerable amount of notes concerning the rifle but just haven't had time to format and post them here on the forum. I bought a 45-70 Govt rifle and added two barrels, both 44 Mag. I took one of the 44 Mag barrels and rechambered it to 444 Marlin. That barrel, shoots just as well as any of the 444 Marlins I've owned. The 44 Mag in this rifle, with it's 23" barrel is a pleasure to shoot.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Ok I understand there is (2) separate for lack of a better term single shot rifles. One has interchangeable barrels and the other does not. Unless I have confused myself again why would anyone purchase the single shot that will not allow other barrels? The "W" would allow for future expansion into others calibers depending upon the hunting or shooting requirements. I would think the "W" would be a no brainer one size fits all approach.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Ok I understand there is (2) separate for lack of a better term single shot rifles. One has interchangeable barrels and the other does not.
"Single Shot" is a product name just like "Wizard" is a product name. They both have break open actions that shooters refer to as "single shot". No different than the El Jefe or R92 and the Rio Grande. Both are product names and just because they are both leveraction doesn't mean they are the same.
Tuco Ramirez wrote:Unless I have confused myself again why would anyone purchase the single shot that will not allow other barrels? The "W" would allow for future expansion into others calibers depending upon the hunting or shooting requirements. I would think the "W" would be a no brainer one size fits all approach.
You would think but Rossi has done a miserable job of explaining the model through a lack promotion for the Wizard all the while flooding the distribution network with Matched Pairs, Trifectas, & Pick Fours.

There are some basics that would explain why a buyer might want to purchase an individual Single Shot over the Wizard:
  • The buyer feels he will only need one rifle.
  • The buyer wants the synthetic stock of the Single Shot over the wood stock offered on the Wizard
  • The Wizard's MSRP is $120 more and that is reflected in sales prices across the board.
  • A chambering isn't available for the Wizard. I've waited a year for the 7.62X39 barrels to come available. A NIB Single Shot came available and I bought it. The Single Shot chambered in the 7.62X39 only cost $30 more than a barrel for the Wizard would have. The same for the Slug Gun barrel. A NIB Single Shot Combo of Slug Gun and Muzzleloader only Cost me $15 more than the Wizard Slug Gun Barrel would have.
If Rossi would have wanted the Wizard concept to work they would have flooded the market with barrels. Instead they kept the same marketing set as they approached the Single Shot with, making lots of rifles not barrels. Run a "Wizard" search on GunBroker and see how few barrels are listed. Heck, I just did and there are 66 rifles listed but only 3 barrels. An TC Encore search brought up 84 rifles but 100 barrels! Rossi has made the Wizard a tough sell with the lack of barrel availability.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

That's a shame..... If they had offered the "W" in wood and synthetic and had a good supply of barrels it might have been a home run. Guess we will never know what could have been..... :lol:

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:That's a shame..... If they had offered the "W" in wood and synthetic and had a good supply of barrels it might have been a home run. Guess we will never know what could have been..... :lol:
That is exactly how I see it.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I don't own either but I'm betting that the Wizard is a heck of a lot cheaper than the T/C Encore with not a whole lot if any difference in quality. :mrgreen:
Last time I looked the T/C Encores were way overpriced :evil: ............that's why I don't own one. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA